Recommended Thermostat

Well, thanks for the different perspective. I have not seen the same in our area. In fact most “STEM” things I participated in (even brought in my own laptops and other tech to participate, at library as well as school) just turned mostly into… well, kids playing video games. :frowning:

Fair enough.

Any sarcasm was directed at Broadcom / RPi Foundation, and not at you personally. Sorry if you took it as such.

You will forgive me if I am not sold on Broadcom’s altruism. Unless I am badly mistaken, I would imagine they have sold and not given all of these units to schools?

1 Like

I would think we have a misunderstanding here.
Your list shows what a European would not call a thermostat. It’s just thermometers with a display and input handles.
But the most important thing is missing: the valve to control water to flow through a radiator.
I believe the predominant HVAC in America is central air(?) heating systems, not sure about Asia, but in Europe, you will want to have a thermostat per room, to work with a radiator.

I didn’t take it personally at all, so no harm done. :wink: I just like to keep conversations on the positive side, even when there’s disagreement.

I’m in Canada, and we have a mix of central-air HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) systems, radiators (in older houses), and electric baseboard heaters. On the east and west coasts, newer houses typically have baseboard heaters with individual thermostats in each room. In central Canada, you’re more likely to see gas-powered HVAC systems with centralized controls.

Baseboards make more sense on the coasts because there’s abundant hydro electricity and less humidity in the summers (meaning less need for air conditioning). Unfortunately, there are very few baseboard thermostats that can be integrated with home-automation systems.

I work for a school district, so yes they are used in the classroom. The lessons focus around programming them and creating with them. The Pi is merely the tool that opens up a wider world of lessons that are applicable all over the place. This was the goal of the Raspberry Pi foundation, and in that regard they have succeeded. The popularity they have in the maker space is merely a side effect for them, though a rather profitable one at that.

All of that said, I personally don’t care that the hardware is not that open, it matters very little to me as its the results I am after and not the hardware. If it does what I want it to do, and I have no commercial interest in the thing (ie reselling it, redesigning it etc) then it makes very little actual difference if it’s not truly open source. Though I completely understand why other may have a differing opinion on this. You do you, and I’ll do me, and we’ll all be ok in the end.

1 Like

I actually know very little about HVAC systems, so you are probably right.

My goal here is to control a central air system that both heats (via a furnace) and colls (via a large A/C unit outside). So a very standard USA setup.

4D Systems do a range of little colour LCDs with touch screen; all based on ESP8266 (called IoD).
All you need to add is a OneWire temp sensor, 5V and a bit of code.
I buy a cheap non-smart thermostat, rip out the guts and put in the IoD LCD.
Looks smart and fits into a standard 80mm x 80mm wall box.
I use MQTT over wifi to talk to openHAB. I have 8 of these thermostats around my house. Seems to work well.
Ray

1 Like

if you’re ok with a used one, i’ve had good luck with the “gocontrol” thermostat and it seems to sell on ebay for under $25 regularly.

its not particularly fancy and lacks any kind of scheduling etc. as its a basic thermostat that lets you turn on heat/cool and exposes those functions via zwave. for me it worked perfectly as i can just create schedules using openhab’s… well i just created rules and i’ll eventually teach my wife to adjust the schedule by launching vim from ssh connection…

1 Like

I use the Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro Zwave Plus Thermostat (TH6320ZW2003) connected to OpenHAB and am happy with it. You can hardwire for power and/or battery.

1 Like

I agree with @John_Siemon that the Insteon 2441TH works fine and can be found for cheap these days. An Insteon Hub or some other Insteon interface module is needed as well, though.

Asking for myself here,
i live in the netherlands and have a small studio house.
I always leave my valves on the radiators open and control my “Thermostat display” if i want the heating on or off.

I only have 1 thermosthat display for all the radiators (Only 3 radiators, 1 in the bathroom, 2 in the living room)
So if i would buy a “thermosthat display” that is compatible with openhab, that would still work the same right. If display/openhab wants it to be 22 celsius it turns the radiators on until it is 22 celsius then turns them off.

Or am i missing something important here?

1 Like

Not sure what you mean, your description is way too incomplete.
Do you have electronic thermostats on your radiators ? What is your “thermostat display” connected to ?

In HVAC threads you need to be very specific and verbose and must not assume anyone does know the slightest thing about your local setup.

I really have a hard time getting my head around all the heating system solutions. So im sorry if i cant really give all the good information.

This is my wall thermostat, its just a simple turn button to control the celsius.
I control the heating in my house with this device.

There are no electronic valves on the radiatiors, just simple analog turning valves.
something like this, those are always open.

My idea was to change the honeywell wall thermostat to something that is controlled with openhab.
I havent checked behind the honeywell, will do that when im home, but from what i have seen in my closet where the wiring for heating is, its just 1 blue 1 red cable running to the honeywell. So heating ON/OFF until desired temp is reached.