Recommended way to backup/restore OH2 configurations and things?

For ‘advanced users’ - yes - that’s true. But many people spend a lot of time getting all the binding strings sorted. This is especially true of bindings like z-wave which are quite complicated to configure. The number of questions we get on configuring devices is huge - with the OH2 features, once this is sorted for a device, everyone benefits by reduced configuration.

Clearly there are different ways this could be done, and different people have different views - a lot of people do want something more ‘point and shoot’ while some clearly don’t (as is clear from this thread). Personally, I like the point and shoot of a nice GUI, but I also do like the option of being able to ‘get back to basics’ and edit the configuration easily if something goes wrong, or we want to paste a load of similar configurations quickly…

ESH, is a flexible framework so it’s possible to do ‘anything’ of course - if enough people want a feature, then it should be possible to make it happen…

(just my thoughts :wink:)

@chris
Please do understand me wrong I do not hate the paper ui. But it would not be my first priority to improve the ease of use. My priority would be everything that makes the creation of rules less complicated due to the complexity of the DSL and the class definitions.

1 Like

I fully agree and that’s why I tend to having the two modes co-exist: All textual as people are used to do it with OH1 for power users and a “I am not a programmer and I just want the stuff to work” simply mode for beginners (with possibly reduced possibilities). The question is really where to draw the line best and how to enable beginners becoming power users. I think an export of discovered things to a thing file is definitely something that makes sense and should not be too hard to implement. But reflecting any possible configuration in the shell or a UI in a nicely structured and formatted config file is not really feasible.

Note that there are no priorities of the project itself. It evolves by people contributing code to it. And the majority of contributions to ESH in the past two years is about setup and configuration of the system through UIs.

@Kai.
I know that what is developed is what the developers like.
This is clear. User are not paying so they do not have a right to talk about priorities.
It is all about developers having fun.

I have got the message.

I know that what is developed is what the developers like.

No, you got it completely wrong here. Note that a majority of contributions to ESH come from DT and they invest money in having developers implement what their users want. And guess what: DT customers/users do not want to configure their smart home through text files!

2 Likes

Yes. Maybe it is that what I don’t like so far.
If it would be like: If there is something defined in a text file, it wins and I am not able/allowed to do changes via paper UI it would be much more segregated.
But if it is the other way around, there could always be something “winning” that I am not so easy to see or find like the experience I explained above.

Rules/Items whatever could simply have a Symbol next to them showing if its a

-paper ui xxx
or
-advanced mode / manually added xxx

And that maybe exportable to have a backup way for mapdb stuff?

Why do some of us like the text files? For me:

• You have an easy overview what is defined (items, rules…). No magic settings frustrates when debugging - the error must be in some of those config files.
  • You can copy+past: No 20 Buttons click and text input fields for add a view items
  • simple backup and use old versions by saving/replace the text content

This could also be possible inside Paper UI with „source view“ editing or something like this. Therefore I din’t need the text files.
Maybe isn’t there a way for „source view“ in the UI? E.g. in a XML structure with DB field name and value (if needed between CDATA sections).

And… keep it simple. I thought about frustration when you didn’t know an error is from a wrong setting somewhere in the UI or in some text file, or just a problem e.g. with keep text files an DB in sync.

1 Like

Why not use some standardized db instead of a binary one? There are a lot of good options out there (i.e. NoSQL, etc). That way “text” users can easily modify the db, and non-users don’t need to.

It’s interesting…I’m a web developer, and more than capable of figuring out how to do text configs, but far prefer using the UI (except for rules). That said, I would really like it if I could tweak by directly in the database. I think of it as being very similar to what many web apps do: have a UI front-end with something like mysql (not suggesting that as the solution…would be a poor choice in this case)backing it. I can always hop into mysql and work directly there if I need to access the data.

And then for those who are migrating from OH1, have a way of importing the text files.

I hope its OK to add a little of my own thoughts. I think the current use of the Text Files is still a very important feature, at least until OH2 develops further along and perhaps there is some type of standardization in the bindings and item formatting.

I’m still relatively knew to OpenHab, but I do use the Kodi (formerly XBMC) and the Chamberlain MyQ bindings. And currently those bindings don’t necessarily generate items when you install them. I’m sure there are probably a bunch of other binding similar that are really customized specifically to one’s use and don’t necessarily create an item file.

So how do you back your up that information and items for these non typical bindings?

I think shorty707’s comment gets close to what I think could be a viable solution to making text files and other confuration mechanisms coexistst, as Kai Kreuzer puts it.

A key issue in this discussion so far has been the fact that config files are read-only (and I think they should be), which makes overriding anything they specify difficult to do, if you don’t want to either confuse your users and at the same time make the system accessible.
Hence, the two (read-only config files + dynamic configurations) must be unified with some finesse.

I’d like to see a tiered system, where OH2’s 1st place to look for config files is the conf/ directory.
The 2nd place to look, would be any form of dynamic configuration that was done through the (web) UI/karaf shell. This 2nd tier could also be a way for OH2 to override whatever is defined in conf/.

In order to not confuse power users, there should be a facility to prevent such overrides. E.g. by adding a final: true flag to a configuration file’s section, users can stop OH2 from ever creating any other representation of this section.
At the same time, the (web) UI should contain a section that clearly lists all configuration bits and pieces - regardless of whether the plugins involved support this kind of introspection - and for each of those display where it was loaded from, and whether it was marked final. On top of that, a button should also be added to each, that erases any overriding definition and reverts the respective config back to what is defined in the text file.

Lastly, a reliable & universal config export facility can help power users and beginners alike to understand in what ways changing the settings in the (web) UI would affect their textual configs. This feature could look like a button next to each config item in the aforementioned list, which opens an exported view of said config item, including all overriding properties that were created from the (web) UI.

I would like to extend this logic not just to the configuration of plugins, things and sitemaps, but also to the plugins themselves, meaning the binaries that power each plugin.

As you can tell form my comment, I think most of the issues brought forward in this discussion can be managed by providing visibility into what OH2 is doing, as well as means to explicitly & interactively control that.

Interesting topic. I ended up here trying to figure out how to manage an OH2 installation with a configuration management tools, in my case Ansible.
My goal was to be able to keep all the OH configuration, including Things, Items, Rules, Sitemaps, and also stuff like log level etc in a central location, and in case I want to deploy a new instance of Openhab (for instance for redundancy or if the hardware breaks down).
So I really want every part of the configuration to be in some sort of text format, like json, xml or something else.
How am I supposed to be able to keep my configuration in a central place and version controlled if some config is in a dynamic DB or the OSGI framework “somewhere”?

That also make it much more easy to troubleshoot in my opinion.

Why not make Paper UI optional (or maybe that is the plan)? So that we who love text files could continue just using that. And to attract a broader user base offer full functionality through the Paper UI.
But I believe mixing the two is going to lead to confusion.

And for the rules engine/language, to make that easier why not build on that Blockly concept in Habmin? I havent used it myself, but I guess that would really be easy to understand for most people.
A better documentation of the Xtend language used (specific to OH, with examples) could also help.

Thats just my 5 cents.
TL;DR: How do I manage the OH2 configuration with Ansible or some other configuration management tool? And to version control it?
If Paper UI means mapdb, then make it optional.
Blockly for rules + documentation, why not?

1 Like

This is not just the plan, this is how it is! You can use OH2 exactly the way as OH1, i.e. you can define all details of your setup on the “conf” folder and that one should be all you need to backup, if you want to reconstruct your instance (with a few exceptions like the logging configuration, which is still at a different place).

The Paper UI approach is meant for people who do not want to deal with text files, but prefer UIs.
Technically, it is not really feasible to make the UIs editing the files in “conf”, so that these two ways would be more or less doing the same. I agree that this is confusing and we have to work on solutions that make this easily understandable and usable for people. For all the tech-savvy people, my clear advice for the moment is to stick to the textual configuration - you do not need the Paper UI at all for that.

3 Likes

Hi all

I understand one way to do backup is to
1 put all configurations in conf/ directory, and copy conf/ for backup
according to:
Recommended way to backup/restore OH2 configurations and things?

However, am I correct to say, the way to backup can be
2 If somehow UI(e.g. Habmin2) has been used, both conf/ and userdata/ should be copied for backup?

• Is this way of backup is totally impossible?
  • Or instead of userdata/, some subdir should be copied?

Thank you very much.

All, I have started looking deeper in the problems that exist with backup/restore/upgrade and you find the current state at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/issues/299 - please feel invited to help on it, be it by clever ideas how to solve problems or by testing PRs that mean to address issues in this area.

After reading through most of the previous answers I want to emphasize this statement. Seems like there is a very common misconception among new openHAB2 users.

PaperUI is not needed to accomplish what you want to do with openHAB2! After having my initial difficulties I completely abandoned PaperUI from my personal workflow and am 100% relying on conf files in my OH2 setup. The PaperUI is just one way of interacting with the openHAB 2 core system. Configure your bindings in addons.cfg, services in the corresponding *.cfg files, your things in the things folder, items in the items folder, rules in the rules folder, … you get it :wink:

My personal feeling is, that people first interacting with openHAB2 are drawn to the interesting new PaperUI feature and get misleading expectations. We are trying to solve this problem in the documentation, which is supposed to grow strong in the next two months. Please anyone with clear input on what the documentation should describe, take part in the discussion at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-docs/issues/110

In another thread I already proposed my idea of an approach to unify the “classic” configuration and the database. Here’s the short version:

I want to vote towards the database approach in combination with what I and others mentioned before:

• Thing/item discovery and adoption through PaperUI
  • Thing/item handling and modification though PaperUI
  • Increase of UI functionality over time
  • While there are not all functions available in PaperUI, mainly for the tech-savvy user:
  • Direct database access through some existing frontend like phpmyadmin (not offered for mapdb? mapdb alternative an option?)
  • More powerful options on the karaf console (random example: smarthome:items 5 rename 'Bathlight')
  • RAW-view edit through PaperUI (compare http://docs.grafana.org/datasources/influxdb -> “RAW”)
  • Export and import of all relevant data from the database to a human-readable file format like xml (as a last resort)

My proposal supports three things:

1. A clear transition from not-ideal items files to a more suited and system-managed database
  2. Providing the right tools to aid the tech-savvy users to adopt to the new system while not being restricted to a UI
  3. Motivate tech-savvy users to use AND contribute towards a powerful PaperUI
10 Likes

So as the next Beta is just around the corner and im always tempted to update to the latest and greatest. If im already on a snapshot with the new json db. and want to create a Backup . Would this process work now? 1. Backup conf/ userdata. 2. Update via apt get ( yes im on raspberry). 3.Install all my bindings. 4. restore conf/ userdata? Or is this something which will be introduced in a future Build and i will at least have to setup everything once again?

This was the state in May 2016. In the meanwhile the jsondb was introduced, which stores the configuration in text files too. Should I derive .items and .things files from it in order to upgrade to a new openhab2 version without loosing my configuration?

Upgrades no longer wipe out your config and Jsondb is human editable so if you prefer to do stuff in PaperUI there is nothing stopping you.

That sounds great! Since #299 isn’t closed yet I thought this is still in work. Do you know if the new upgrade mechanism works for apt/deb-based installations as well?