Register events for items in Inbox

Hi,

This might be the wrong area to post in but I have a question about items in the inbox.

Is it possible to log any events for items in the inbox?

thanks.

The paperUI inbox is only used to discover thing/items. If you want to log events you will have to add them.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response.
I understand the reason for the inbox :wink: but I’d like to see if there are values/events coming in on the item before adding it.

Now I understand want you want. Unfortunately I have no idea. :smiley:

Just to be clear the Inbox deals with Things, not Items. Its an important distinction.

There is no way I know of to receive events from Things in the Inbox. I don’t think OH actually starts processing events from such Items until they are added.

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, bad choice of words. You’re right, Inbox deals with things. Though there would be data connected to the Thing which could be used for logging.
At this rate, I would be happy to see something in the log along the lines of "received data for Thing #### ".

Until the thing is removed from the inbox and instantiated as a thing, it doesn’t exist, so what you ask for is not possible.

To explain - when an entry is added to the inbox, there is no actual thing - just an inbox entry. There is no thing handler, and therefore no ability to generate channel updates. The thing is only instantiated once you remove it from the inbox, and add it to the system.

Of course there’s nothing to stop a binding logging data about its devices, but it can’t be linked to the thing as that doesn’t exist. For example, the ZWave binding can log data received from a node even if this node is not linked to a thing - but this is outside of the framework.

Thanks.
As I’m not using the data it doesnt matter that the thing isnt created. But your post gave me the idea to update the logging setting for RFXCOM by adding.

Added the following to: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg

log4j.logger.org.openhab.binding.rfxcom = DEBUG

It now spits out all the incoming raw data.