Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

Is this abandonware?

1 Like

Just tried this today and couldn’t get the Sound Library working either - it just skips that part

The maintainer of this binding was not active/logged in here in the last two months. Hope this binding will not be abandoned/ stop working

I’m getting the following exception repeatedly in my log (running 2.5.5 installed from Paper UI):

2020-06-13 11:03:46.873 [INFO ] [control.internal.WebSocketConnection] - Web Socket error

java.nio.channels.AsynchronousCloseException: null

at org.eclipse.jetty.client.http.HttpConnectionOverHTTP.close(HttpConnectionOverHTTP.java:181) ~[?:?]

at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(ArrayList.java:1257) [?:1.8.0_252]

at org.eclipse.jetty.client.AbstractConnectionPool.close(AbstractConnectionPool.java:208) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.client.DuplexConnectionPool.close(DuplexConnectionPool.java:237) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.client.HttpDestination.close(HttpDestination.java:385) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.client.HttpClient.doStop(HttpClient.java:260) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.stop(AbstractLifeCycle.java:93) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.stop(ContainerLifeCycle.java:180) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStop(ContainerLifeCycle.java:201) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.client.WebSocketClient.doStop(WebSocketClient.java:371) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.stop(AbstractLifeCycle.java:93) [bundleFile:9.4.20.v20190813]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.WebSocketConnection.close(WebSocketConnection.java:159) [bundleFile:?]

at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.WebSocketConnection$2.run(WebSocketConnection.java:184) [bundleFile:?]

at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555) [?:1.8.0_252]

at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505) [?:1.8.0_252]
1 Like

I am getting the same errors as well @edwolfe3. Any update on this @michi?

see https://community.openhab.org/t/web-socket-error-on-amazonechocontrol-binding-every-65-seconds

I am getting the same error in my logs. Never seen that before. It does seem to be an issue with Amazon as @digitaldan points out.

Has anybody else noticed that lastVoiceCommand channel is NOT working anymore?

Best, Jay

Yes (in US)

@jwiseman @5iver

Yes :frowning: See this post:

https://community.openhab.org/t/web-socket-error-on-amazonechocontrol-binding-every-65-seconds

It’s evidently something on Amazon’s side, with their server. We may need to have the add-on code modified/updated, but the original developer, @michi, hasn’t signed on here for several months and we’re hoping this isn’t an abandoned project :frowning:

I hope someone can fix it.
The error is causing Out of memory errors that tanks my OH instance in 1 day’s time.
Until then i had to disable the thing and uninstall the binding.

I have spoken to @michi from Germany a few weeks ago and there seems to be an dispute on how his code was reviewed and critiqued and how he/they were treated. I hope @Kai can reach out to Michael and resolve it because last I heard Michael has walked away from OH because of it.

As many of us use this binding with 622 downloads for it; it seems this binding is pretty important to home automation for OH to succeed.

FYI, Jay

4 Likes

Doesn’t surprise me , that’s pretty sad.

I just grabbed the recent build that JNK @ GitHub did and it fixed the lastVoiceCommand channel. I’m guessing it has to do with the connection failure/retries JNK was addressing which fixed the lastVoiceCommand being updated now.

I have NO idea if this build was against the RC or the last Beta version of the binding? For the last 2 hours, it has been working with my OH 2.4 installation.

EDIT: The path changed once it was approved to merge. Here’s the new path

https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2.5.x-Addons/ws/bundles/org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol/target/

Best, Jay

1 Like

Believe it was against the RC, not the Beta. We don’t have a working fix for Beta at the moment it seems. I’m glad “LastVoiceCommand” works again, and I’m glad the Web Socket Errors seemed to have stopped, but none of the Alexa /Echo"Smart Home Devices" are working. I can’t turn on half of the lights in my house, which were all configured with the Beta binding. Somewhat annoying, but at least it’s better than nothing I guess. Hopefully someone fixes the Beta version as well. I’m not a programmer and know nothing about “jar” files and Java and compiling and decompiling, but I"m attempting to look through the JNK jar file to see if I can identify the updates made and apply them to the Beta version. I’m already seeing a few differences in the classes, but this is all a rather foreign language/concept to me, lol.

ive not pullled apart nor put back together a jar before either but willing to give it a go - is there any getting started’s anyone knows of? even a guide to an IDE (windows) on how to open - visual studio code seems to be able to do it but not for me.

I’m learning on the fly here, and have made a little bit of progress…

[I’ve learned within the last 30 minutes that] Jar files are just archive files, like ZIP files. There are several “Java Decompiler” extensions available for VSC, yes. Here are some other options as well. I tried the first one and it worked just fine, but the Java Decompiler VSC extension worked just as nicely. I’m also using a “Document Comparison” VSC extension to identify differences between the class files (class files are sub-files, within the archived “jar” file).

It seems the only changes that JNK made to the file are three modified Class files. I noticed that the Manifest file also changes, to reflect these changed class files. Here’s a screenshot where you can see the three classes that changed: https://imgur.com/tCpGnVw.png

I don’t know if this is going to work, but… looking at the structure/make-up of the Beta version and the latest JNK leak and connection fix JAR file, they’re very similar, except the Beta version has extra, additional class files within that all pertain to the Smart Home Devices. What I’m doing, and I have no idea if it will work, is just pulling the “fixed” classes from the new Jar that JNK made today, which seems to fix the connection to the Amazon server that was giving us trouble, and I’m just throwing those updated areas into the Beta jar, and then updating the manifest. I’m almost done! I have no idea if it will actually work, lol, but I’'m going to give it a shot and see! :blush:

1 Like

youll be the maintainer in no time :slight_smile:

It didn’t go as well as planned :-/ I tried several different ways to piece-together an updated binding, but my attempts were fruitless. I may take another stab at it tomorrow, but we’ll probably need someone who knows what they’re doing to help with this, lol. I found where the differences in the versions are, in the classes, but I think I ran into trouble when trying to manually update the manifest file.

maybe dont? just update the class files? I have no idea? perhaps you have to compile it again