Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

I am getting the same errors as well @edwolfe3. Any update on this @michi?

see https://community.openhab.org/t/web-socket-error-on-amazonechocontrol-binding-every-65-seconds

I am getting the same error in my logs. Never seen that before. It does seem to be an issue with Amazon as @digitaldan points out.

Has anybody else noticed that lastVoiceCommand channel is NOT working anymore?

Best, Jay

Yes (in US)

@jwiseman @5iver

Yes :frowning: See this post:

https://community.openhab.org/t/web-socket-error-on-amazonechocontrol-binding-every-65-seconds

Itā€™s evidently something on Amazonā€™s side, with their server. We may need to have the add-on code modified/updated, but the original developer, @michi, hasnā€™t signed on here for several months and weā€™re hoping this isnā€™t an abandoned project :frowning:

I hope someone can fix it.
The error is causing Out of memory errors that tanks my OH instance in 1 dayā€™s time.
Until then i had to disable the thing and uninstall the binding.

I have spoken to @michi from Germany a few weeks ago and there seems to be an dispute on how his code was reviewed and critiqued and how he/they were treated. I hope @Kai can reach out to Michael and resolve it because last I heard Michael has walked away from OH because of it.

As many of us use this binding with 622 downloads for it; it seems this binding is pretty important to home automation for OH to succeed.

FYI, Jay

4 Likes

Doesnā€™t surprise me , thatā€™s pretty sad.

I just grabbed the recent build that JNK @ GitHub did and it fixed the lastVoiceCommand channel. Iā€™m guessing it has to do with the connection failure/retries JNK was addressing which fixed the lastVoiceCommand being updated now.

I have NO idea if this build was against the RC or the last Beta version of the binding? For the last 2 hours, it has been working with my OH 2.4 installation.

EDIT: The path changed once it was approved to merge. Hereā€™s the new path

https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2.5.x-Addons/ws/bundles/org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol/target/

Best, Jay

1 Like

Believe it was against the RC, not the Beta. We donā€™t have a working fix for Beta at the moment it seems. Iā€™m glad ā€œLastVoiceCommandā€ works again, and Iā€™m glad the Web Socket Errors seemed to have stopped, but none of the Alexa /Echo"Smart Home Devices" are working. I canā€™t turn on half of the lights in my house, which were all configured with the Beta binding. Somewhat annoying, but at least itā€™s better than nothing I guess. Hopefully someone fixes the Beta version as well. Iā€™m not a programmer and know nothing about ā€œjarā€ files and Java and compiling and decompiling, but I"m attempting to look through the JNK jar file to see if I can identify the updates made and apply them to the Beta version. Iā€™m already seeing a few differences in the classes, but this is all a rather foreign language/concept to me, lol.

ive not pullled apart nor put back together a jar before either but willing to give it a go - is there any getting startedā€™s anyone knows of? even a guide to an IDE (windows) on how to open - visual studio code seems to be able to do it but not for me.

Iā€™m learning on the fly here, and have made a little bit of progressā€¦

[Iā€™ve learned within the last 30 minutes that] Jar files are just archive files, like ZIP files. There are several ā€œJava Decompilerā€ extensions available for VSC, yes. Here are some other options as well. I tried the first one and it worked just fine, but the Java Decompiler VSC extension worked just as nicely. Iā€™m also using a ā€œDocument Comparisonā€ VSC extension to identify differences between the class files (class files are sub-files, within the archived ā€œjarā€ file).

It seems the only changes that JNK made to the file are three modified Class files. I noticed that the Manifest file also changes, to reflect these changed class files. Hereā€™s a screenshot where you can see the three classes that changed: https://imgur.com/tCpGnVw.png

I donā€™t know if this is going to work, butā€¦ looking at the structure/make-up of the Beta version and the latest JNK leak and connection fix JAR file, theyā€™re very similar, except the Beta version has extra, additional class files within that all pertain to the Smart Home Devices. What Iā€™m doing, and I have no idea if it will work, is just pulling the ā€œfixedā€ classes from the new Jar that JNK made today, which seems to fix the connection to the Amazon server that was giving us trouble, and Iā€™m just throwing those updated areas into the Beta jar, and then updating the manifest. Iā€™m almost done! I have no idea if it will actually work, lol, but Iā€™'m going to give it a shot and see! :blush:

1 Like

youll be the maintainer in no time :slight_smile:

It didnā€™t go as well as planned :-/ I tried several different ways to piece-together an updated binding, but my attempts were fruitless. I may take another stab at it tomorrow, but weā€™ll probably need someone who knows what theyā€™re doing to help with this, lol. I found where the differences in the versions are, in the classes, but I think I ran into trouble when trying to manually update the manifest file.

maybe dont? just update the class files? I have no idea? perhaps you have to compile it again

Thats not good. I am using another binding with 1500 users and a similar thing happened there.

The developer disappeared for a long time after getting frustrated with the code review process.

https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/7919/files/3f68feb0cade0267fe4408f39c7d8a31b69cd194..73340c0b201e9c3130d4061727b084f27125b9a1

Best, Jay

Hi Jay, where can i download your tested version?
Is it the last snapshot version 2.5.6?
Thanks and greetings,
Markus

Sorry, have found it in another thread.
Greetings,
Markus

https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB2.5.x-Addons/ws/bundles/org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol/target/

Best, Jay