Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

Ok…
after a restart of openHab the problem still exist…
the volume of the plus didn’t show the correct level :frowning:

Hello,
me as an owner of six echos would like to be able to send the “stop” command via OpenHAB.
This would be my most wanted feature.

But thanks for the awesome work @michi

I actually tried all 3 of those and yes I can create manually and the dot comes online. I just thought it odd I had to do that as previous versions it’s worked as per the doco.

Looking closer at the echo channels some of the new ones are not there so I must be doing something wrong or there’s some sort of cache?

Thanks
Andrew

Try to delete the allready saved things and then delete the Amazon account, then put in the new jar file in your addons folder. Then it will be there with all the new channels. That was the way how it worked on my installation.

I got it all working removing and readding bindings, a cache and temp folder delete and then manually ading in the devices

Hi Daniel,
You mean the volume of your plus group? Or the single device?
Regards,
Michael

Hi Jan-Marcus,
there is no general “Stop” command available in the alexa app, so it can not be implemented. But you can use the player channel with the PAUSE command to stop music. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to stop everything with it, e.g. alarms can not be stopped.
Regards,
Michael

Ä Single Echo plus device

So I have no idea, maybe the echo plus works different. Can you check if you see the correct volume in the alexa web site?

Where can i find it

In the player:

Just click on the speaker symbol.

Hi there,
I am using Beta 16 Public and following your instructions in the docs section.

I have had some sucesses and some problems too.
I will focus on the positives at this stage as the issues seem to fall into two camps:

1. I need educating
  2. Need enhancement to make outcome useful.

So first of a great addition to the bindings. Good job
I set up using PaperUI for the Things, and items usingh files. But I will probable delete on the next update and look at doing it all i files.

I used the amazon.com.au site by typing in the site name and it connects great.

The following are working with no issues to report.

• control volume
  • Play weather report
  • Play Good Morning News
  • Play Flash Briefing
  • Play Traffic News
  • Switch on TuneIn Radio
  • Player - Play
  • Player - Pause

Regards

Paul

I cannot seem to follow this instruction where in the PaperUI can I do the following:

• Navigate to the Control Section
  • Open the Drop-Dow

Any chance of a screenshot?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for all your work on this binding, it is super cool and this thread is the one i always check to see what new stuff you have managed to add.

One small question. if i am using the marketplace version. Do i still follow the steps below, I just dont need to replace the jar file as it updates automatically (or do i somehow need to update via the marketplace)?

Steps for update from previous beta (If you want use the new channels):

Remove discovered echo devices from your inbox
Remove all your existing echo things (If you have created them in PaperUI)
Replace now the binding jar
Create your things to get the new channel

Hi Paul,

1. Goto the Thing section in the Paper UI, select your echo thing, click on “Show More”

1. Scroll down to the playAlarmSound channel, check that a channel is created, if it is not yet done, create one

1. Goto the Control section in the Paper UI

1. Select the room tab where you thing is defined (In my case ‘ALEXA’), scroll down to the Play Alarm Sound channel:

1. Click on the drop-down-arrow, if there is no drop down visible at the channel, it helps to refresh the browser

1. The part inside the brackets are the id which must be used in a rule to trigger the alarm.

I hope this will help you!

Kind regards,
Michael

1 Like

Hi James,

I’ am not really sure about the handling of the .jar file. But the safe way is to unistall the binding and reinstall them.

Things must be removed and newly created if the was defined in the Paper UI to get new channels.
If the things are defined in a .thing file, you only have to define the new channels in the .items file to get them. There is no need to remove the thing in the .thing file.

Best regards,
Michael

Hello All!

Please support this thread with a like. This feature could be used to implement the long requested text to speak (TTS) function.
There are already 85 likes, so maybe amazon will pay attention on it.

Best regards, Michael

Status: OFFLINE - COMMUNICATION_ERROR Unknown host name ‘alexa.amazon.com’. Maybe your internet connection is offline

However I think it is still working?

Cannot create thing. No binding found that supports creating a thing of type amazonechocontrol:echoshow.

How can I fix this @michi ?

Hi, it seems that you have at least a problem with the DNS, so that the server could not be resolved. I expect, that this is a temporary problem.

Regards,
Michael