Release change from 2.3.0 to 2.5.5

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Intel Nuc Processor J3455
    • Windows 10
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java 8 191
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0
  • Issue of the topic: Update via Powershell showed no error but nothing happend, release remained unchanged

Is the powershell update supported in Version 2.3.0 or do I need to update manually, by deleting the relevant files and copy paste?

I do not know your answer I would expect a world of pain making that large of an upgrade jump. If I were doing that I would backup the configuration and install fresh. Then restore your backup.

Can I make a two step upgrade via 2.4.0? Is there a place I can download 2.4.0 from?
Then: As I configured mostly over Paper UI I have to finde, where these entriey are strored

@T-A

I first would do a complete backup.

Then you could do like in this post.

If you use restdocs: it has moved from “misc” to “UI” section (addons.cfg). You better uninstall it before upgrading.
If you use habpanel: you have to change habpanel.config, like in this post.
If you use zwave: you have to add a serialport in system environment (EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS), like in this post.

1 Like

Thank you for the hints.
I actually followed the post you mentioned. It is 2.4 to 2.5. I intended to do 2.3 to 2.5. With that post ended in the “not remomended” copy past section at the bottom.
Restdoc I have installed habpanel and zwave not.
So you think with this I can jump from 2.3 to 2.5?

2.4 to 2.5 is a major change itself due to architectural changes in OH.

Many files (nearly all) have changed in folder “.\runtime\bin”. And this files (backup.bat, restore.bat, update.bat, common.psm1) are missing in 2.3.0).

I would do the following:

Backup your complete openhab folder.

Then do a manual upgrade like in this doc (=Version 2.4):

https://www.openhab.org/v2.4/docs/installation/windows.html#updating-the-openhab-runtime

P.S. You also could use this manual (=Version 2.3), the only difference:
file “userdata\etc\org.openhab.addons.cfg” does not exist in 2.3.0!

1 Like

I think you mean file “ userdata\etc\org.openhab\addons.config ” ? Or is the Windows file name different?

No, I mean file org.openhab.addons.cfg in folder userdata\etc.. It was located there in older OH2 versions (e.g. #1148 (=Dec. 2017), #1155 (=Dec. 2017)), but it was removed before 2.3.0-Release…

P.S. @T-A If you have an org.openhab.addons.cfg, you also should delete it while upgrading…

1 Like

Thanks. Still learning…

1 Like

I guess it was changed in build #1224 (March 2018). See here and here.

1 Like

Hi Thomas,
You are one of the few openhab user on windows 10. I am trying to restart bundles from rules using ssh It was running ok on mac os and linux but unable to make it work on windows. If you are using this method to restart bundles, I would certainly appreciate if you let me know the way you did it. I know it has nothing to do with release change…

Thanks for any help

I have updated as requested. 2.5.5 started without any problems.
All Things went online.
Only issue: Some of the rules or items seam not to work via cloud connection.
I use the OpenHAB app in IOS via Cloud connect. Some of the Items there are switches with no connection to any thing. I use them for rules. E.G. a switch called “In House” so when I am there the garage door and the power switches outside the house get power. These kind Items seam not to work. I also get always an error code 500 on my handy.
One strange appearence is, I have 3 identical rules for 3 different slat blinds. One works the other two show no reaction and no change of the item status. In the control Panal of the Paper UI they all work, but not via my handy, there only one switch works correctly.

I have safed the new installation 2.5.5 bud switched back to 2.3.0. First I have to figure out why it behaves so strange.

Meanwhile I have solved all problems. Release change from 2.3 to 2.5.5 or 2.5.6 works as descibed above! Thanks for the help.

Attention, if you have shield Items to stear rules. In the 2.5 releases items without a channel do nut update. A new field in Paper UI allows to enforce autoupdate.

Paper UI is recommended just for administering OH, not for daily use. Basic UI is recommended for that. Paper UI & HABmin are gone in OH3, replaced by a new, hopefully maintainable, UI.

Yes they do. You have some other problem with those.

1 Like

I have used Items with no channels for a year, starting with 2.5 Milestones.

Agree. I have used the Paper UI after the release change to check if all is fine. For daily usage I us the OpenHAB App in IOS.

1 Like

Very helpful. I did as descibed.

So finally 2.5.6 is working stable.
After the update, followinf the 2.4 to 2.5 instructions for mannual update = deleting the files as described except the org.openhab.adons.cfg, which did not exist I had

1. Some Items not working:
    Solution: I had to remove some “ghost-” or “zombie-links” via the Rest API, which ended in “nirvana” and therefore never updated my status. All hints are descibed in topic: Some Items do not work after Release Change
    Very helpful was the “autoupdate primer” linked in that topic.

2. Error 500 and 503 in my IOS handy
    I had to unistall my bindings and reinstall them like descibed in topic:
    Error 500 and 503 after ver2.4 upgrade