Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

Thank you

no it works like a charm.

BR

Is there a question / answer option?

I have a routine, status report, which toggles a switch. Using tts in a rule I build a response and push it to the alexa which just triggered the switch toggle.

While this works the disconnect is awkward.

I was wondering if I missed a feature somewhere where you can ask a question and push an answer?

Is there a way to use the REST api to send an announcement to one’s echo devices? I have the following url returning data to the screen (and via the REST API documentation screen), but I do not see any way to use an http address to perform an announcement.

http://10.17.2.40:8085/rest/channel-types/amazonechocontrol:announcement?"This is a test"

Is it possible to ask Alexa if a Window is open (so triggered) or a light is on ? (sonoff) ?

pls delete

Yes, you can ask Alexa if a window is opened. See this post from @5iver way back in this thread. Or the brute force approach of a proxy item that indicates in temperature the state of any item in the standard Alexa V2 skill. See this post.

This is what I was looking for but more of a question / answer. This method, like mine, pushes the response. I’d like to keep the blue ring flashing while she thinks. Nothing like this possible?

Yes, something like this is possible, but it depends on how far you stretch the word “like”. See the second link. You can convert anything you want to temperature, and then ask Alexa for what you want and she will stay blue and answer with the value in temperature. If that’s not close enough, you can implement the V3 skill on your own server and I believe you can ask directly. See this.

Wohoooo that sounds great - never tired the Echo Control Binding - how can i configure the binding and the answers of any questions ? Is this already implemented or must be configured extra ?

Go to the first post in this thread. That’s where the information is on configuring the binding.

This I have seen and will install it like that - the question was regarding the speak and response script - is that included in this install routin ? Many Thanks

My script is in Jython, which uses the new rule engine, so there are additional steps needed. However, thie logic of the script could be written using a DSL rule.

1 Like

hello michi

as written it worked like a charm for a while now, but since a few days, i have the same problem again. I f I change to the next song via openhab, everything works fine, if I just say next, nothing happens.
Are there still some issues?

BR

Hi Michi,

Time to time, TTS command fails. I get the following message in the log. Any idea of what happens? Anything I should try to help you in troubleshooting this?

18:33:09.085 [ERROR] [rnal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.handleCommand()' on 'org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler@260c596c': POST url 'https://alexa.amazon.fr/api/behaviors/preview' failed: Bad Request
org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.HttpException: POST url 'https://alexa.amazon.fr/api/behaviors/preview' failed: Bad Request
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.makeRequest(Connection.java:593) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceNode(Connection.java:1140) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommand(Connection.java:1125) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.executeSequenceCommandWithVolume(Connection.java:1116) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.Connection.textToSpeech(Connection.java:1089) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.startTextToSpeech(EchoHandler.java:738) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler.handleCommand(EchoHandler.java:586) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor166.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.InvocationHandlerSync.invoke(InvocationHandlerSync.java:59) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy149.handleCommand(Unknown Source) [191:org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol:2.5.0.Beta_05]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.ProfileCallbackImpl.handleCommand(ProfileCallbackImpl.java:75) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.SystemDefaultProfile.onCommandFromItem(SystemDefaultProfile.java:49) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor165.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:?]

Thank you

Yann

Hello all,

I am facing some strange behaviors with my amazon echo dot.

I have set a rule that should enable the TuneIn Station id every morning by the following command extract

Echo_Living_Room_RadioStationId.sendCommand('sXXXX')

and stops it with

Echo_Living_Room_RadioStationId.sendCommand('')

The issue is that the rule works flawless if the Echo was previously manually started with a Voice Command like “Alexa start Radio”.

But if the command comes over the openHab it just says in the logs something like:

RadioStationId stationId changed from '' to 'sxxxxx'
--- from PAUSE to PLAY
--- from 'sxxxxx' to ''
--- from PLAY to PAUSE

But the radio never starts playing. In this case I also need to activate alexa’s radio manually and afterwards the commands from openHAB work till the next morning.

Has anyone faced the same issue?

Many Thanks
Regards

Switching to beta 7 has resolved this issue for me, thanks for the great work!

1 Like

Thanks for this great Binding.

If I understand correctly the start command is limited to the following: Weather, Traffic, GoodMorning, SingASong, TellStory, FlashBriefing.

I was wondering if it is possible to extend it to other commands like for example “show my photos” or if there is another option to send such command?

Thanks
Régis

so am I getting it right (as the statements here are quite different) that this binding (or the Alexa api) does NOT support Alexa TTS on third party devices (like on Sonos One) yet?

At least I am not getting it to be working.
I’ve grouped two Sonos devices and one echo dot. and when I am sending a tts command only the echo dot is talking.

Is there an easy way to implement a simple ON/OFF switch for an Echo? I know, that I can use a dummy-item and a set of rules for that - but I’d like to go without rules.
Any idea is appreciated! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Flo

I have the same problem,did not found a cause yet, hope @michi can help?