Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

This happened to me to many times using the jar method. To recover I had to redo the Habian image for my Pi3. So far install has been without issue when I installing from the market place.

RC2 released
The new version does not provide new basic functions. But the internal website is update and provides now a diagnostic page for the echo device states and a page for the ID’s required for using the binding in rules.
Just open YOUR_OPENHAB/amazonechocontrol in your browser (e.g. http://openhab:8080/amazonechocontrol/)

The download link is in the top most posting of this thread!

These are the steps for all users which have an account thing in the ONLINE state and echo things reported as offline:

Click on the link of your account to see a page with all devices registered in the amazon account. The state will be directly provided from amazon, so if it OFFLINE here, the device is maybe registered in an other amazon domain. If the state is shown ONLINE here, but the echo thing is OFFLINE give me an feedback here!

Regards,
Michael

Hi @Falk,

It’s looks very interesting! Can you explain what should I do to make it work?
Setup scapy, define Alexa MAC, change item name in curl, change iface=? May be something else? How to start this script?
I have never use scapy and python.

Just open YOUR_OPENHAB/amazonechocontrol in your browser

@michi Are these results normal?

• 192.168.10.114:8080/amazonechocontrol/ = Not Found
  • 192.168.10.114:8080/amazonechocontrol/account1/ = The Account is already logged in. The account thing should be online. Check Thing in Paper UI.

I don’t find the diagnostic page you mentioned.

Hi Drew_Brown,
No, this is the old version. You should check your logs or use the console to check if the binding is loaded.
You can start reading here. There was already a discussion where the older version of a binding was loaded in openHAB.
Regards,
Michael

Running the openhab> bundle:list|grep -i amazonecho command shows:
227 | Active | 80 | 2.2.1.201805122332 | AmazonEchoControl Binding
Could you please confirm for me the right link to get the 2.3.0.201805121836 jar file version?

I had previously used the 2nd link at the top of this thread but that jar file killed most of my things. I’d like to make sure I’m getting the right file.
Thanks again!

I was using jar file as well and lost all my things - I just thought something went wrong - didn’t associate it with this binding

Thanks
Andrew

Hi Michi,

Unable to download latest UPDATE: RC2
I am Getting “Site could not be reached.”

Kind Regards
Cadbures

sorry, I think I have provided the wrong link. I will check it after work!

Question. From the Openhab control panel I can enter text message in Speak or Remind channels for my Echo and Alexa shouts them out
 There is a lot of fun to be had doing this remotely from an OpenHab cloud connection :rofl:. But I noticed that in the smart phone Openhab app this doesn’t work the same.

In the app the Echo is shown and Speak and Remind are shown with what looks like a document icon. When I select speak a message is shown
‘write NFC tag action for this element’ It does not send text to Alexa for her to speak. :unamused:

Is this an issue for the phone App developers or the Alexa control binding?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, so far as I know, the phone app does not support entering a text. But it should be possible to using a mapping with some preselected text messages.

It’s a missing feature in the phone App. The binding does not know, where a channel is used and how it is used.

Kind regards, Michael

It’s very important, that you use the binding link which match your openHAB installation!

The URL for RC2 is now checked. I does not know if the previous points to a wrong jar, but I’am sure that now it is correct :grinning:

Hi @Balaganov,

I am also not an expert for that. Never the less:
on a linux system like e.g. ubuntu you should check if python is installed already with e.g.

python3 -V

If not,

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y upgrade

or

sudo apt-get install python3

should do the job.

Then install the python package installer via

sudo apt-get install -y python3-pip

Scapy can be installed via

pip3 install scapy-python3

Yes, for modification of the script you also need to change the interface to your setup. All other changes should be mentioned in the comments. For testing, just run the script with

python3 /[YOUR PATH]/[SCRIPTNAME]

For running it in the background just add & at the end of the command.

Hope that helps. Let me know, if this works for you.

Hi Michi,

Thank you. i got RC2 version of jar file. seems RC2 file size has increased compared to RC1

Kind regards
Cadbures

I just downloaded the latest version (link from the top of this thread) and use OH 2.2 stable.

I can add to the inbox manually the Amazon Account, but it keeps the status uninitialized.

I double checked the password, but got an error 500 when creating the thing the first time and then conflict, when I try to save it again.

I don’t use 2 factor authentication.

Is there an issue with a German OH2 ?
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated

EDIT:
Just recognized that there was another file for download added an hour ago.
This seems to work so far
 :slight_smile:

Important for all Beta and Release Candidate users with flashbriefingprofiles:

If you use flashbriefingprofile with saved configuration, please install the RC3, otherwise the stored profile configuration get lost after upgrade to the next version. If you don’t use flashbriefingprofiles, there is no need to upgrade.

RC3 is available in openHAB marketplace or as download if you use OpenHAB 2.2:
https://www.michael-geramb.at/app/download/12015638499/org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol_2.2.1_RC3.jar?t=1527103305

For the daily snapshot 2.3 build of openHAB use this version:
https://www.michael-geramb.at/app/download/12015638599/org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol-2.3.0_RC3.jar?t=1527103325

if you open the page http(s)://youropenhab:port/amazonechocontrol (e.g. http://localhost:8080/amazonechocontrol) you can verify if the RC3 is correctly installed. it should look like that:

Seems not working for me.
I had uncomment packet.show() line. Run the script. But nothing happened.

How I can ensure that scapy is working correctly?

To update the binding, do we need to remove all items and things, replace the binding and re-add things and items?
Thanks!

FAQ: When I have to remove and recreate things for a binding upgrade?

a) If you have defined the things in a thing file
Never

b) If you have defined the things in PaperUI
If the newer version of the binding has new channels, which you want use: Remove the thing and recreate them after the update.
If you don’t need the new channels, you have nothing to do!

This behavior is not related to the binding, it’s a issue of OpenHAB. So this rules are valid for all bindings!

Whats does this means:
For update from RC1, RC2 to RC3 → Definitely no action required, because there are no new channels

From previous beta versions, check the documentation, please note there are breaking changes between the Beta and the RC version, which means some old channels will no longer work! You will find the necessary steps in the top most posting.

1 Like

Can confirm, removed the previous jar file, replaced it with RC3, done.
Fantastic