Release Candidate and Support: Amazon Echo Control Binding

If you want others to be able to contribute to your binding easily, you should aim for classes around 500 lines of code. The “connection” class might violate the separation of concerns principle with > 1300 lines, it is at least hard to navigate within.

1 Like

I just wanted to express my appreciation for this binding, it’s fantastic.

Besides using it for various HA announcements … I use it to help my wife who has young onset Alzheimer’s. I’ve created a form on a web page where I can type in a message and then have it broadcast on all our Alexa’s around the house. It’s particularly good when I’m out of the house and want to tell her when I’m getting home - because she’s currently refusing to answer the phone!!

Well done and thank you!

5 Likes

Is there an option in the Amzon API to detect an incoming call on Alexa?

It seems not, if you find an hint in the alexa app, let it me know.

Hi Rainer,

I really like your thought process on this script. I’m going to buy a HUE side lamp just to use your script with it.

Is there anyway to change the CRON job logic to run every minute between 4 am - 8 am instead of 24 hours? I really don’t want the overhead of it running.

LMK?

Best, Jay

Time cron "45 0/1 4-8 * * ?"

Added 45s to prevent other jobs from running at the same time. This will run every minute between 4:00:45 and 7:59:45.

Thank you very much Scott!

Best, Jay

1 Like

I added it as a Echo Device but none of the channels are currently working. I’ll need to enable debug and dig deeper to see, I’ll try to see what I can find on the weekend.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your moving feedback. It is nice to hear, that my software can help you a little bit. I wish you and your wife much strength and all the best.

Best regards,
Michael

2 Likes

I did not so far.
But whenever I use Alexa for a call, it would be helpful to detect.
Especially because I usually use my marantz receiver for the TV and switch over to Alexa whenever there is a TTS coming in.

So doing this in case of a call would be nice to have, but not crucial.

Anyway, I might have some time around christmas to wireshark is something is going on, when a call is done.

I am just using the latest beta but get an error similar to the ones mentioned above (and should be fixed):

2018-12-10 13:55:06.153 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method 'ThingHandler.handleCommand()' on 'org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol.internal.handler.EchoHandler@1a6fb03': POST url 'https://alexa.amazon.de/api/np/command?deviceSerialNumber=xxxx&deviceType=xxx' failed: Not Found

Any idea?

Hi to all.
Which Version is integrated in Milestone M8?
Greetings,
Markus

i changed it and looked also, how amazon do this request (there its a PUT instead of a POST). I took exactly the same body ect.
But the answer from the PROXY is still “500 Server Error”

It is the current beta (9). So, with milestone M8 there is not need to install it manually.
Best regards,
Michael

Stange, I have currently no idea. Maybe I provide a channel in one of the next betas, it would be more easier.

Hi!

The binding is not working for me anymore.
I tried to login to the account but amazon replies with:
We’re sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

It worked before! Is this an amazon issue or is it working correctly for you?
I even tried a new account (changed account1 to account2 and tried to configure again but the same issue occured) …

thank you"

Which version of the binding?

Sorry. 2.3.0 it is

You have to install the beta version or OH 2.4 Milestone 8. The original 2.3 does not work anymore. Please read the instructions for the usage.

Yeah! This would be nice!

My basic idea was, to have a “Focus on work”-routine.
I quiet my mobile with pushover&tasker, my phone with Fritzbox TR064 and one of the last open topics is to set also a “dont disturb” for my echo-contacts.