Remote openHAB Binding

Will this work with OH 1.8? This looks like the way I can start with OH 3.
Thanks

Not likely but your v1 bindings will likely work with OH 2.5 & permit you to bridge to OH3.

While this may be true in some cases I still see a bigger problem in a logic that assumes that every “silent” remote server is healthy. And especially the use case of short network interruptions happens very often in real life situations (e.g. short WLAN interruption, if it is a WAN connection a small interruption of internet access or VPN, a short power failure because of a fuse etc.). And in all these comman cases the binding would not recover by itself but falling in a stealth mode without publishing any item updates.

That sounds a good idea to me :+1:

I am not sure at all that a short network interruption leads systematically to a problem in the current version. To be checked by myself with your scenario consisting in disconeccting the network cable just a short time.
Maybe the connection is lost if the remote server tries to publish something while the network is no more available?

That might indeed be possible. In my case this was definetely the case as the remote server is running about 60 ZWAVE devices and provides 183 items which are subscribed by the main instance. According to my persistence data there are about 550 updates per hour on average , which means one update every 7 seconds .

No, OH 1.8 doesn’t support the REST API necessary to make the binding work. But you can use the MQTT Event Bus tutorial approach on the OH 3 side and the MQTT EventBus configuration of the MQTTv1.x binding on the OH 1.8 side too achieve the same thing, with just a bit more work.

1 Like

PR to let you setup the remote server accessibility check (two new advanced settings):

2 Likes

Thank You, More than you know appreciate your work!!!

The change with the new settings is merged.
But there is not yet any snapshot including the last changes.

2 Likes

All recent changes are included in snapshot 2061.

4 Likes

Hi,
I tried to use the Remote Opnehab Binding in OH3-M5. After connecting to my OH2 instance I was able to autodiscover all my remote things, for example:
[INFO ] [g.discovery.internal.PersistentInbox] - Added new thing 'remoteopenhab:thing:openhab2:rfxcom_rfy_usb0_buero' to inbox.

But my remote things doesn’t have any channels:
This thing has no channels. Either the thing type doesn't define channels, or they may be detected and appear later. (Message in the channels tab in main ui)

Any ideas, what could be wrong?

The server bridge should have channels, each representing an OH2 Item. You can then link them to OH3 Items.

@Bruce_Osborne: Thank you for the hint, there they are. I expected them on the thing page, my fault.

Now everything works well. Great binding!

1 Like

I tried the Thing way too & thought I hit a bug. All the developer would say is I misunderstood the purpose of that part

I think it is clear if you read the binding readme.
I could also add something to the thing description like "you can expect finding only trigger channels from your remote thing. "

1 Like

What are trigger channels? I know Astro, for example has event channels but I have never heard of trigger channels previously.

Yes, astro binding uses this kind of channels for example.

How do we tell without diving into the Thing xml definition?

You are welcome to improve openHAB documentation. Anyone can propose improvements. This is open source.