Request: TBK Home Wall Dimmer not in database (OH2)

I’m using openHAB2 on a Windows 7 HTPC with the Aeon Labs Z-Stick Gen5. HABmin is running fine, with the ZStick and one socket node recognised and working. Unfortunately, the TBK Home TZ55D dual wall dimmer appears as “Unknown Device Z-Wave Node 2 (FFFF:0003:0004:2.1)” and it’s functions are not available.

I believe that this means the device isn’t included in the Z-Wave Binding database (2.0.0.SNAPSHOT). Can this be added please? If not, can someone assist me in adding it manually? Thanks!

1 Like

The company is called TKB Home, not TBK :slight_smile:

Try finding a xml file under /userdata/zwave/nodeXX.xml, where XX is the node number for your device.

Then read trough this page
http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide
and after registering and writing an email to ask for edit rights to Chris you are able to upload the xml file.
If no xml file was created read through the linked page all the way down to the bottom and try adding the entry manually.
The entries are always reviewed so you can’t break anything :slight_smile:

Ah, TKB Home it is! Thanks :slight_smile:

I had read through the database guidance and signed up, but missed the fact that I need to request editing permission (looking for an ‘add’ button that of course wouldn’t appear)

Thanks for the swift response. The openHAB community seems to be extremely helpful and active!

I’ve had no luck with this device, despite the fact that the TZ55D has now been added to the database. It doesn’t report the manufacturer number correctly, so is always unrecognised (comes up as ffff) in the XML and in HABmin. I have even bought a replacement and the same thing happens.

I have tried adding the device manually using the Z-stick itself, using IMA tools and of course through HABmin itself. It always adds itself to the network, but it is an unknown device.

Has anyone got this device to work with an Aeon labs Z-stick using HABmin?

Thanks for any assistance on this issue,
Alex

you can edit the manufacture id manually ( just after you scanned for new devices and the node xml is created). This way it works for me.

I’ve recently had another shot at trying to solve this problem, after giving up on my Z wave setup for a while. Now I am fully up-to-date with openHAB 2.2.0 and using the database snapshot 2.3.0, but the issue remains. The TKB dual dimmer is not recognised. I can get it to register as a device in PaperUI if I amend the Node.xml file with the manufacturing ID 0x118. This enables me to access one of the two functions, namely the left paddle, and can control it both from the switch itself and over then network. However, the second paddle doesn’t show up in openHAB.

I can see from are the threads that the TKB home all of their wall switches appear to have some general issues getting recognised, even though they have been confirmed have been added to the database. And I can confirm that the issue is the same even though I’ve had the unit replaced twice. Following some advice on one of the other threads, I managed to edit the local copy of the Z wave binding database, and for a moment it looked like I had fooled openHAB into seeing both paddles. However this in fact was aesthetic, and neither controls could operate the switch.

So, back to the drawing board! The biggest issue here is that I can’t see any suitable alternatives which do the job I want, namely to provide two networked Z wave switches, one to control a local load, and the other which controls another device on the Z-wave network.

So this is my last post to ask whether anyone has managed to hack this thing into working!

Note that I spent the weekend and got this working reliably. I had in fact unknowingly fixed it by editing the Node.xml and z-wave binding.jar, but the second switch simply had to be associated with the desired dimming device. Phew!

Thanks for the advice!

Hello guys, can someone help me adding a device that is not in the DB? It is a RGB LED Dimmer from TKB (model TZ77).

I don’t have the necessary access to accomplish this, and I’m not being able to request this permission. I can provide the XML file and any information that could be required for it.

Thanks in advance!

Post it :grinning:

Here’s the XML file and the documentation PDF. Please let me know if there is anything else required for this matter.

Thank you so much!

node3.xml (12.9 KB)
TZ77_Manual-Specs.pdf (787.5 KB)

Almost done. Database is very slow today, need to upload the manual. Will try again tomorrow.
After final review you need to use the latest snapshot or development zwave binding.

Done:
http://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/842

1 Like

Hello @sihui!

First of all thank you for dedicating time adding this device, I’m really appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m still having issues with the correct recognition from OH2, even after downloading the latest snapshot and dropping it in the /usr/share/openhab2/addons directory.

Am I missing something?

Maybe just a little bit of patience :rofl:

You need to watch the “last exported” date at the lower portion of the database entry, As soon as you are seeing a valid date, the new entry goes into the binding. After the next build of the snapshot zwave binding you need to upgrade and should have the device available.

Have fun.

Hi Alex,

I am having a similar problem with the switch. The manafacturer ID is coming back as FFFF. To get it working, did you simply crack open the bindings JAR and edit the relevant TKB___.xml file to change the manufacturer ID to FFFF from 0118?

Anything else necessary? Assuming that this needs to be re-done any time you update OH aswell!

Thanks
Jab

If that is the case you need to wake the device up manually a couple of times …if it is battery operated.

If a device is not in the database you should add it so other users can benefit from that.

Hi Sihui, the device is a TKB-TZ55D wall switch. Its wired, so doesnt need to be woken up etc…

However, on joining the network, it comes up as an unknown device:
"Unknown Device Z-Wave Node X (FFFF:0003:0004…).

The “FFFF” seems to be an invalid manufacturer ID being returned. I believe it should be 0118.

Above, someone suggested that the device was faulty if a manufacturer ID of FFFF was being reported? I have two and both of them report as FFFF.

As regards adding to the database, I originally started to do this and had uploaded the XML. However, the system reported a) that it looked like it was already in there as TZ65D (as opposed to my TZ55D). But there was also an error in red that this device has already been deleted!

I have no problem continuing to add to the database, but I am not sure if that is what I should be doing given that it is marked as previously deleted and/or the fact that I would have to input with an incorrect manafacturer ID to get OH to pick it up etc…!

Thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers,
Jab

That one is already in the database:
https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/516

You are still talking about the TZ55D, right?
As said, it is in the db, no need to add anything.
What does your xml tell you about the manufacturer code? If it is FFFF also, I would exclude and reinclude the device, maybe in between reset it to factory default (although successful exclusion already should have done that, but just in case).

1 Like

Hi sihui,

Yes, I am talking about the TZ55D.

The problem is that two of my devices (I have two of them!) both report a manufacturer code of FFFF.

To double check, I did as you suggested. Removed both from Openhab, then reset them to defaults and then re-added them to OH. However, the node.xml files for both report a manufacturer code incorrectly:

<node>
  <deviceClass>
    <basicDeviceClass>ROUTING_SLAVE</basicDeviceClass>
    <genericDeviceClass>MULTILEVEL_SWITCH</genericDeviceClass>
    <specificDeviceClass>POWER_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL</specificDeviceClass>
  </deviceClass>
  <homeId>0xf6bfc734</homeId>
  <nodeId>10</nodeId>
  <version>4</version>
  <manufacturer>0xffff</manufacturer>
  <deviceId>0x4</deviceId>
  <deviceType>0x3</deviceType>
  <listening>true</listening>
  <frequentlyListening>false</frequentlyListening>
  <routing>true</routing>
  <security>false</security>
  <beaming>true</beaming>
  <maxBaudRate>40000</maxBaudRate>
  <supportedCommandClasses>

I am guessing (that unless there is a bug on OH), the device is not conforming to specification and/or is faulty as it should obviously not be reporting FFFF.

I did contact the supplier in relation to same and suggested that this behaviour was incorrect, however, they advised:

"…Z-Wave controllers should use the Command Class data reported during the Inclusion stage to determine how to control a device as opposed to relying on Manufacturer, Device Type or other such data, which may or may not be set.

If both the Class Generic and Class Specific data has been retrieved successfully by the Z-Wave controller then that should be all that is required for the Z-Wave controller to be able to control the device, in this case by creating a Dimmer type UI object.

I would suggest submitting a support request to the Openhab2 developers as it would be up to them to ensure that the device is represented correctly based on the Command Class data that it reports…"

I cannot imagine that this is true, but I did try looking for z-wave specification documentation to refute the claim the a valid manufacturer code is not required!

Assuming its faulty (and not an OH bug) and assuming that the supplier refuses to accept a return / replacement (well known supplier at that!), I was think about how I could get it to work. Specifically, could I simply add a custom XML in JAR in /addons that identified my device as (say) TZ55Dx with FFFF as a manufacturer code. Obviously same wouldn’t want to be added to the database as it would be a hack / workaround…

Any thoughts on any of above welcome!
Thanks,
Jab

This is above my paygrade, but we should ping @chris to clarify that information (be patient, he is travelling around the world this week and may not have time to answer in a short timeframe).

What I do know is:
the binding checks manufacturer ID, device id, device type and firmware version.

Beyond that I only have to offer: