[RESOLVED] OH 3.0.2 unresponsive using systemctl, but OK manually started

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: N/A
    • Java Runtime Environment: openjdk 11.0.11 2021-04-20 LTS
    • openHAB version: 3.0.2
  • Issue of the topic: After upgrading (via apt) from OH 3.0.1 to 3.0.2, OH does not seem to initialize when using systemctl. I have been using OH 3 since soon after its stable release and it has been fine, starts on boot, etc. But after upgrading to 3.0.2 (and openjdk was also upgraded, but not sure what the previous version was), it will show the openhab process running and a systemctl status openhab.service says it is running with no errors, but there are no logs generated in /var/log/openhab and the system is not responsive. However, when I run systemctl stop openhab.service then run the start command manually (sudo su -s /bin/bash -c /usr/share/openhab/start.sh openhab) it starts up fine, I see logs being written to in /var/log/openhab, and the system works.

Were there any changes to the systemctl stuff in 3.0.2? Anything else I can check?

Are the file permissions e.g. in and of /var/log/openhab correct ( meaning the directory and the files belong to user and group openhab ? Same for other dirs like /var/lib/openhab.

Yes as far as I can tell. And it does work if I start manually with the openhab account.

What about output of command:

sudo journalctl -u openhab.service -b

I had some time tonight where I could take down OH, (I was running it from the console for the time being), and…systemctl is working now. I’m not sure what changed. I have OS upgrades set to automatically install and according to the logs there have been seven packages upgraded since I noticed OH not working. None of them seem to be related to systemctl, but maybe it uses something in one of those updates. Anyway, all seems well now. Thanks for the help.