- Platform information:
- Hardware: Raspberry Pi4 2GB
- OS: Openhabian
- openHAB version: 3.0.1
- Issue of the topic: Restore from external SD card simulation
I know there are a lot of posts and manuals regarding the backup process but I still can’t figure out how to achieve what I want.
And I obviously did something wrong, I just can’t figure out what…
I have an internal SD card of 32GB, and an external SD card of 64GB (connected through a USB card reader).
After Openhabian installation I did the following:
- Connected the USB card reader with the 64GB SD card.
openhabian-configI selected menu option 53:
Setup SD mirroring.
Three partitions were created in the external SD card. sda1 was very small, sda2 and sda3 were almost 30GB each. I identified sda3 as an empty partition so figured sda2 was the mirror of the internal SD and sda3 is free for openhab-cli backup etc.
- Then I started defining my model, items and some pages. (took me a few weeks)
- Today I selected menu option 55:
Sync SD(thinking it’s going to do incremental backup to the existing backup).
What I wanted to achieve was to have an on going backup to the external SD card so in a case of the internal card would fail, I would:
- Take to external SD card to a PC.
- Burn an image from sda2 (which I figured is holding the mirrored information from the internal SD)
- Burn that image to a new 32GB card and boot from it.
- Place back the external 64GB card to keep the backup routine.
My current situation:
- All the partitions from the external SD card are gone.
- My pi won’t boot up without both SD cards in place.
So my questions are:
- First of all, does my desired backup process make sense? Is that the way it should work?
- What have I done to mess things up? Was it the rsync process?
- How can I revert back to booting from my internal card only?
Thanks a lot in advance!