RFXCom issue on RP3

I have an issue for which I can not find a solution.
It is the well known issue on JD2xx and RFXCom, but none of the questions/answers seem to relate well enough.

I am using the raspberry Pi 3, with openhab 2 beta 4.

Since the RP3 apparently has the internal FTDI drivers, JD2xx does not allow for auto-discovery of the RFXCOM.
Therefore I have manually added the RFXcom as suggested on forums.
In paperUI I manually added the “RFXCOM USB Transceiver” with the correct /dev/ttyUSB0.
The RFXCom shows as “ONLINE”, in paperui, and in the log file.

However, it does not receive anything.
And as soon as I let PaperUI search for “things” I get a JD2xx error. This I don’t understand. Since I have added the “RFXCOM USB Transceiver”, this is supposed to be the version that explicitly does not use JD2xx. Or am I wrong?

Fact is that it shows as online, but does not receive anything, whilst the mode should be allowing for temperature sensors to be received (I do receive them with rfxmanager on windows).

What can I do to get my RFXCom to work?

ONLINE sounds like openhab was able to connect to the transceiver. Still please make sure that’s in fact the case: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#privileges-for-common-peripherals
USB0 should not be a problem though…

I have indeed made sure that this was done.
On of the forums suggests that “RFXCom USB transceiver-thing” only works when not adding the serial port to EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS. I have tried both, same result.

So still the issue is:

  • RFXCOM USB Transceiver shows as ONLINE.
  • Nothing ends up in the inbox
  • Searching for things connected to the RFXCOM leads to a JD2xx exception.

I have no clue how to continue.

I can’t help any further. It could be worth it to look at other discussions and maybe mention (@marky) users that might have more info. Good luck!

I have installed the latest snapshot now.
Things have not changed.

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2016-12-16 15:51:49.795 [ThingUpdatedEvent         ] - Thing 'rfxcom:bridge:2ae6        286c' has been updated.
2016-12-16 15:51:50.169 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'rfxcom:bridge:2ae6286c'         changed from OFFLINE to ONLINE

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2016-12-16 15:52:39.393 [ERROR] [rnal.discovery.RFXComBridgeDiscovery] - Error o        ccured during discovery
java.io.IOException: device not found (2)
        at jd2xx.JD2XX.listDevices(Native Method)
        at jd2xx.JD2XX.listDevicesByDescription(JD2XX.java:826)
        at org.openhab.binding.rfxcom.internal.discovery.RFXComBridgeDiscovery.d        iscoverRfxcom(RFXComBridgeDiscovery.java:90)
        at org.openhab.binding.rfxcom.internal.discovery.RFXComBridgeDiscovery.s        tartScan(RFXComBridgeDiscovery.java:67)
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.AbstractDiscoveryService.start        Scan(AbstractDiscoveryService.java:199)
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegis        tryImpl.startScan(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:381)
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.config.discovery.internal.DiscoveryServiceRegis        tryImpl.startScans(DiscoveryServiceRegistryImpl.java:357)

What I don’t understand is why, with an explicit installation of the binding for “RFXCOM USB Transceiver” with a serial port, instead of the generic JD2xx version “RFXtrx433E USB 433.92MHz Transceiver”, it still tries to use JD2xx for a new thing discovery.

RFXComBridgeHandler.java explicitely has a connection method for serial port -not using jd2xx-:

private void connect() {
        logger.debug("Connecting to RFXCOM transceiver");

        try {
            if (configuration.serialPort != null) {
                if (connector == null) {
                    connector = new RFXComSerialConnector();
            } else if (configuration.bridgeId != null) {
                if (connector == null) {
                    connector = new RFXComJD2XXConnector();
            } else if (configuration.host != null) {
                if (connector == null) {
                    connector = new RFXComTcpConnector();

I got the same problem, I could solve it with installing the “liblockdev1” package on my raspberry. (and using the “RFXCOM USB Transceiver”) The native library nrjavaserial needs it.

thanks for the hint.
Had same issue with z-wave ports and so i installed liblockdev1-dev

It seems to be working now!
Now on to the tedious task of learning how to configure openhab2 with rfxcom using the config files. I prefer that since they can be backed up. But the documentation seems to be virtually non-existant so far :confused:

You can backup the PaperUI database as well now that the internal mapDB database has been replaced with a jsonDB - Replacement of mapdb by jsondb.