So my scenario is this:

Room: Downstairs Toilet
Project: Lighting
Light 1: 240v LED spotlights x2
Light 1 Control: Physical switch and voice control
Light 2: RGBW LED Strip light
Light 2 Control: Physical switch, PIR, OH2 rules
Switch: 2 Button Sonoff T1UK
System: OH2 on Linux (Ubuntu) server & Google Home scattered around the house for Voice Control

Whilst in most of my rooms, where I have led strips, they are going to be purely for decorative effect around cabinets and shelves and therefore a WiFi controller alone is sufficient, in the downstairs toilet the led strip (up lighting the ceiling, in one corner and a small strip above and below the mirror) will in all probability be used as the main light source late at night where we don’t want the stark cool white spotlights to be used.

For this reason and following my design principle that ALL room lights (which as explained this falls under) MUST continue to work if the OH installation was disconnected (whether temporary or permanent), I have a slightly different use case which I wanted to get some opinion on.

The 2 button light switch is already installed, flashed with Tasmota 10.1 (the 1st device I’ve struggled with as there’s no reset switch nor is there an obvious pad for GPIO0 so I had to go direct to the ESP8285 pin), it has also been added to OH2 and configured for Google Home. So from this point of view everything is working perfectly for me and contains the said redundancy if OH2 was disconnected.

SO MY QUESTION is purely about how to control the RGBW strip, not from the point of view of power on and off (the switch does this) but from the point of view of controlling the colour?

1. Should I just wire a WiFi RGBW controller in between the switch and the strip such that it too would be switched on and off every time from the switch? Would this add an unacceptable delay in the lights actually going on and off? Other downside of this is I wouldn’t be able to perform any control of the RGBW controller from OH2 like have a rule which sets the colour depending on the time of day in preparedness for the light coming on. I can of course switch it on remotely 1st via WiFi command to the switch but these just does not feel like an elegant solution.

2. Is there a WiFi controller which exists for exactly this scenario in that it’s only job is to control the colour?

3. Should I make my own esp32 solution which does just this, IE have the colour channels configured ready for when the light comes on?

4. Any other opinions greatly accepted.

Note: I also said about PIR detection for the room. The idea being here that if the PIR in the room detects movement it’d turn on either one light or the other dependent on time of year and time of day. Ie if its dark at 1630 (winter) it’d turn on spotlight but if it was dark at 2230 (any time of year) it’d turn on led strip. So the room will have a controller anyway, most probably an esp32.

TIA

As I was just proof reading the above post I wondered whether there was another option.

Going back to option a) above could I have it setup such that the WiFi controller power was permanently powered and the switch was used purely as a switch for the power to the strip? Though I think a 240v input relay would be an expensive solution :thinking: