Ring Alarm Components - Zwave

Thanks for your endurance helping me out.

In the past I had the impression, that the Z wave network is pretty slow.
So your comments seem to support this impression.
In the past I also have removed and re-included some devices and wonder if I really should start from scratch – at least with the Z wave network– not everything else.

Because I just moved to a new house with concrete floors, this definitely has an impact on the network – at least in comparison to my previous apartment.

Maybe the density of the network itself it’s not high enough for this house.
But in general – I assume - the ring device should work - even if it’s very slow.
But this does not seem the case.

I will create a new raw log file tomorrow and will update you then.
Again, thank you very much for your support!
Much appreciated!

I did think about the start over idea, but held off recommending it until I saw the raw log file. There is definitely a communication problem with at least node 36, but maybe with others as well. Another idea is to do a network heal now that 3 and 6 are gone. Also try a fresh battery in node 36. Lastly if you do start over, grab the may 23 zwave binding it has my zwave battery device changes that should help with the battery device inclusions.

Bob

Fair enough :slight_smile:

Node 36 is brand new (Ring Motion Gen2), so the batteries are new - but I will switch these to be on the safe side a s well.
I reactivated 3 and 6 (also to get a better coverage with the reinforced concrete ceilings).
After that I did a heal - and actually the USB stick does a heal every day at 2 am.
By the way: Node 35 did not change (no xml, nor a reinitialize option).

I will definitely do that.

Please alllow one more question:
Inclusion should be close to the controller.
Because I have some zwave Sensors fixed installed, would you go with the Aeotec Stick?
This has a battery and I could go closer to the various devices during inclusion.

Any newer would be ok as well, I assume!?

yes

edit: also the aeotec stick would allow you to turn the other zstick into a zniffer. That would help with traffic analysis

Thank you.
I will consider this.
My Aeotec Stick just arrived yesterday I will hopefully find some time to start this week.

Would you recommend to include with the battery function of the Aeotec or should I bring the OH host closer to the fixed installed devices?
The outdoor motion sensor (230v) is about 12m away.
Another option would be a usb extension cable to get closer with the stick.

Zwave plus devices are capable of network wide inclusion, so the closeness is only critical for older non-plus devices, but should work either way. The only devices that must be included while the controller is plugged into the server/binding are those with security (like locks).
Bob

edit: I include all my devices with the controller attached, and did have a problem once with doing it detached, so would try attached first.

:+1:
Will do - thank you.

Finally I started from scratch and use the Aeotec stick.
I have included all my devices and everything seems to be fine.
I did not check the logs yet in detail for long response times though.
When including the ring motion sensor, it seems to be working, because it was recognized and it’s online.
However at the end of the inclusion the red LED was glowing solid, which means, that it was not successful according to the manual.
I will check later if the sensor reports something

So do each of the devices have 5 lines (Reinitialize Device?). Is there a xml for each node, with Node 1 being the earliest date? If yes, yes, all could be fine.

I guess the key is if the sensor reports. I’m assuming the Door/window is working too?

Bob

Yes, the motion sensor has both: the xml and the 5 lines in its thing configuration.
Furthermore Node 1 has the earliest date.

However, as mentioned above the LED was glowing red at the end of the inclusion and the manual says:

Inclusion Successful (Authenticated S2) Green LED on solid
Inclusion Not Successful (Self-Destruct) Red LED on solid

So, either the inclusion was NOT successful OR inclusion was ok, but S2 was not successful?

The Motion sensor does not provide any channel update and none of these look like a motion channel, but some z-wave wide alarm channels(!?):

Did you try to add securely?
It’s back to debug. Set on debug (not trace) and click on the reinitialize device for the motion detector only.

Bob
Edit: Burglar should be the motion channel

I did not do something specific, but maybe S2 is the default (because it belogs to the Ring Alarm System).
I just did this:

After powering on the device, press and hold the button on the front of the device for ~3 seconds. Release the button and the
device will enter Classic inclusion mode which implements both classic inclusion with a Node Information Frame, and
Network Wide Inclusion. During Classic Inclusion mode, the green LED will blink three times followed by a brief pause,
repeatedly. When Classic inclusion times-out, the device will blink alternating red and green a few times.

This sounds like burglar - I don’t know how this might be related to the channel:

Motion Detected
Notification Report
Type: Home Security 0x07
State: Intrusion 0x08
1 (Lifeline)

Will do

I’m reading up above and this could be a concern. OH does not have S2, but the Silabs spec says the device should fall back to S0.

There is also a time limit for security to be exchanged. If things are still slow, that could be the cause of the solid red.

Bob

edit: This looks good where is this from??

I have read about this when looking for a z-wave lock.

I got it from the official manual:

By the way.
This is the latest log (purely zwave). I have triggered reinitialize around 3 pm CEST
(I renamed the zip to txt, because zip was not allowed and the original log was too large)
zwave_zip.txt (111.6 KB)

EDIT:
I have a z-wave lock (not included and not used yet, but on my old appartment).
This was working well with security enabled.
However, I assume it was not S2 if this is not supported by OH yet.

The good news is I see Node 6 and 7 fully initialized. The bad news is node 12 (I’m assuming this is the motion detector) does not get to the point of initializing channels. I do not know if it is expecting security. I’m beyond where I can help on that. How are you getting these steps done?

Classic Inclusion Steps:
Classic Inclusion should be used if the controller does not support SmartStart.
1. Initiate add flow for Security Devices in the Ring mobile application – Follow the guided add flow 
instructions provided in the Ring mobile application.
2. Select add manually and enter the 5-digit DSK PIN found on the package of the Ring Alarm Motion 
Detector or the 5-digit DSK PIN found under the QR code on the device

Perhaps we need guidance from Ring support on how to include without security or try to include in OH with security. Need to exclude, reset, etc.

Bob

Yes, these are two battery driven motion sensors from Fibaro.
Unfortunately they didn’t update the Battery-level yet.

I didn’t.
I skipped the first two steps and did:

After powering on the device, press and hold the button on the front of the device for ~3 seconds. Release the button and the
device will enter Classic inclusion mode which implements both classic inclusion with a Node Information Frame, and
Network Wide Inclusion. During Classic Inclusion mode, the green LED will blink three times followed by a brief pause,
repeatedly. When Classic inclusion times-out, the device will blink alternating red and green a few times.

I tried this and after inclusion the same sensor came back as Node 13 (and Node12-xml was gone). So I assume the sensor has been reset during exclusion?
(in the past the sensors always kept the original Node number)

This is what is supposed to happen. Anything different?

The only other thought I had was to open a thread for anyone who has the Ring Motion detector working. This started as a ring keypad with different issues (No DB entry). I do not understand why the device is not providing the required information back to the controller (but suspect it is related to security and the first two steps for classic inclusion in the manual). I’m afraid I can’t help anymore. Need either Ring tech support or someone who has the device working (IMO)

BTW the log viewer here will give a more visual display. That is how I am looking at the files you have sent.

Bob

No - same story.

I will try this - thank you again for your massive support!

I know this and use it as well.
The interpretation is much easier for you, than for me though :wink:

You might want to provide this log file of the reinitialization in your new post. I did filter some (normally not a recommended but was trying to get to a manageable size. It shows that the reinitialization stalls out when the device is asked to return data and the parameters are all set to zero.
zwave.log (603.7 KB)

Bob