Ring doorbell

Worked for me. Thank you very much!

How did you filter that out?

All, May I please ask a quiestion on the path setting. I want to dump the videos in a windows folder. I’ve allowed full access to the windows folder but not getting the dumps?

\HOME-SERVER\Users\daniel\Documents\Ring\Video.

Not sure if it should be a single \ for double \.

Thanks

Regards

Is somebody able to get a livestream from Ring Doorbell on demand? If yes, how do you do that?

I would love to know as well :slight_smile:

Angelo:

Hello guys,

I also bought a Ring and now want to add it to openhab using this mqtt ring docker image.

I am trying to install but struggeling with the mount path configuration (it´s not described in the official documentation?!).

Using Synology NAS Docker app to use this docker image.

Can someone help me out? Thanks !

EDIT:

Okay I solved it on my own. I used the CLI commands as described in the documentation instead of the GUI from Synology NAS. My mounting path was “/volume2/docker/ring” if anybody wants to know.

Hi @guterm,

Thanks for this. New to OpenHAB and I’m trying to get my Ring Doorbell working with OpenHAB. Have tried the unofficial Ring Binding which I can get to work, but there is a 2/3 minute delay between a “ding” on the Doorbell and the Item being updated in OpenHAB - this makes it unusable.

I’ve not used MQTT before - are your steps above still valid? Step 1 - MQTT Broker - is this also a Binding?

Thanks,
Lee

Yes, still all works very well.
MQTT broker is a separate piece of software that passes or “brokers” messages between different entities.
Most commonly used broker for Linux is Mosquitto: https://mosquitto.org/

Best of luck and let me know if you get stuck.

I’ve made progress. Couldn’t get the manual install to work, so now trying Docker. I can see the Docker image detecting my devices on Ring.com - but where do I add the Things in OpenHAB? I’ve followed your steps:

1. Installed Mosquitto.
  2. Installed ring-mqtt via Docker
  3. Installed MQTT Binding (not sure what to do with this though)
  4. Restarted the Docker Instance several times

Not sure where to go in OpenHAB now and start adding the discovered Things (or where they should show up).

Get any MQTT browser / monitoring tool and see if ring-mqtt is publishing messages there based on events ( e.g., https://mqtt-explorer.com/ ).

ring-mqtt publishes in Home Assistant format by default so the Things should just show up in your inbox if you have “enable discovery” turned on in the advanced settings of your MQTT broker Thing. If you can see the messages with something like MQTT explorer, I would check that. If you don’t see any messages being published I would check the logs on the container and make sure you don’t need to do anything like finish your 2 factor authentication setup

1 Like

Thanks @tardismechanic. Some progress. I now have the Ring devices visible in the Inbox. I’ve added them, but their status remains Unknown:

In addition, running my Docker instance interactively so I can see what’s going on, I’m getting the “ring-rtsp The rtsp-simple-server process exited unexpectedly, will restart in 5 seconds…” repeatedly. I believe this is only for live video, so shouldn’t stop the devices coming online?

OK restarting the Docker instance again has got them Online, but still the RTSP error.

I’ve had issues with the Things showing “unknown” or “offline”, I think it’s a quirk in how openHAB is interpreting that MQTT topic or something. All of my Things continue to update their channels though no matter what OH says the state is so I just ignore it. I’m not sure on the RTSP issue, according to the docs here it’s only supposed to be starting the server on port 8554. Are you sure your docker container is set up correctly? Here’s all I have for mine (docker compose format), running on a pi

version: "2.1"
services:
  ring-mqtt:
    image: tsightler/ring-mqtt:latest
    container_name: ring-mqtt
    environment:
      - ENABLECAMERAS=true
      - RINGLOCATIONIDS=MyLocationID
      - RINGTOKEN=MySuperSecretToken
      - SNAPSHOTMODE=all
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
      - /opt/openhab/ring-mqtt:/data
    ports:
      - 8554:8554

Out of my depth here, but looking at the RSTP Simple Server YAML, it looks like this API setup that’s causing the error. This is the Port error in the original screenshot:

I’m able to detect Ding and Motion successfully, just no Channels for Live Video, and I’m guessing it won’t work anyway as the RTSP process keeps failing in Docker.

I’ve actually never been able to get the live video to work as an item or widget since I don’t know how to get OH to display a rtsp stream (I would love to know if you do though). It looks like the only channels for live stream are switches to turn on and off the live stream service though, you would then have to have a widget or something pointing to rtsp://<ip_or_hostname>/<camera_id>_live if I understand how it works correctly. I did see that last night he released a new version that uses go2rtc instead of rstp-simple-server so you might want to try that version and see if it works better for you.

Thanks - with regards to trying the new version - is it just a case of pulling the new Docker image?

Yeah, at least that’s all it was for me