Rollout of KNX Setup in OpenHAB for visualisation

Hi,

first post here, so plz be gentle :wink:

Most part of my house is configured with KNX (switch, dimmer, shutters, LED-RGB, RTR, Weather station…) and works for over about 2 years. I want to use openhab mainly for visualization of the KNX setup on mobile devices at first and maybe in later stage for further automation.

I’m a OH newbee, but read a good part of the docs and did lots of searches on this forum. I have openhab2.4.0-1 running on a RaspberryPi and use Visual Codec Studio since some time. I’ve been playing with it and I can get most things working on a small scale (KNX binding, 1 light on/off, making 1 temperature visible); this both using PaperUI and manual text files. so far so good

My questions is now: What is the easiest and most efficient way to put all KNX config into OH files?
I tried with HomeBuilder to create sitemap, items files and Dashboard. However How to create the things file from there?
I also started to put some KNX actors and channels in the things file and somehow to make a link with the Homebuilder created files. None of the above ways really seem efficient

so If you had to start all over from KNX to OH, what different steps would you take? where to start? which files first? what kind of logic do you build in the config files?

many thanks

Denhertog

Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Kernel = Linux 4.19.75-v7+

Platform = Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

I have used Visual Studio Code and the “Right click” - Create all items for Things as starting point
Editing multiple lines was good, too.

thanks.
So, If I understand correct, You first add all to things file and than use ‘right click’ to populate items file? that’s what I tried already once. How do you continue to group the items (manually?) and towards sitemap creation?

thx for the tip of editing multiple lines. this will speed up. indeed

Yes, sadly manually, since I have not found a better way yet.
Mostly by multiple line editing or search an replace.