RoomHub - wired MQTT gateway for multiple devices

Hi @keeperlit, so far I didn’t need that long cables, max about 20 - 25m. For PIRs it is recommended to put a condensator across voltage + and - pins directly on the PIR to cover potential voltage drops in logner cables. But so far I didn’t need it for these distances.

To make roomHub fully usable it should be able to use regular PIR’s, like this one:

https://www.satel.pl/en/product/208/AQUA%20Luna,PIR-motion-detector-with-emergency-lighting-feature

they cost around 13€, and it’s ready to install and full profesional.
Just like @rlkoshak noticed about voltages, roomHub will be usable for profesional installation if it will be able to use sensors for different voltage (at least 12v would be a good option)

1 Like

@Le_Gal I am using PIR sensors HC-SR501 which are running on 5V.
All the sensors and relays I am using are 5V. I’ve found there are multiple cheap 5V sensors/devices available.
Supporting multiple voltages to be able to use PIRs you’ve mentioned sounds great, but I am afraid it is outside of my knowledge in electronics.

@keeperlit The longest cables I have to switches are around 20 meters. I haven’t seen any problems with that so far and I am running it for about 3 years now.

Because of the problems with W5500 and ESP32 (Ethernet connection stability problems) I have replaced ESP32 microcontroller with full fledged SoC. I am using NanoPi NEO, but it could also run with RaspberryPi and other similar boards. This setup gives me more possibilities. I have finally solved support for more complex sensors like BME280 and DHT22. I have also improved support for existing devices.
One interesting possibility is to run OpenHab and RoomHub on the same machine.

I am still working on some parts and I hope to present more details soon.

1 Like

Please consider change the voltage to 12v.
Because it’s much easier to downgrade voltage than upgrade it.
Users could do it just by using resistors or linear regulator like L7805CV (there is much more options of course).
How do You instal those HC-SR501 in the rooms?

I have HC-SR501 installed in electrical mounting boxes. I’ve bought frames with blind covers and drilled holes for the sensor. I’ve attached the photos.

1 Like