Round number to 2 bytes precision

Dear all

I have a 2 bytes number from KNX and want to do some calculation (i.e. division) with a number from another system with higher precision (I guess about 4 bytes). I need to get same precision, i.e. round down the 4 bytes number to 2 bytes, otherwise I get some artifacts with low values.

Has anybody an idea how I can round a number to 2 bytes precision?

Thank you for any hints.

You might give us some context. Is this in a rule? Which rules system? Where are these bytes held, in Items? What type of Items?

If you are doing this in Java than know that you are dealing with Java. In that case:

• byte = 1 byte
  • short = 2 bytes
  • int = 4 bytes
  • long = 8 bytes
  • float = 4 bytes
  • double = 8 bytes

If the number you are getting from the other system is an integer type you should be able to just call .shortValue() and get a 2 byte version of the number (or an exception if the number doesn’t fit in 2 bytes, you can’t “round” 42000 into a short whose maximum value that can be represented is 32767).

However, if the number you are getting is a floating point number you will notice that there is no floating point number that uses less than 4 bytes. I’m not sure it is possible to to this at all and am skeptical that your description of the problem is correct and that KNX is expecting a 2 byte floating point number.

Thank you both for help. What I did in the end, was to specify the 2 byte knx datapoint as floatValue. This solved the issue, however, to be honest, I don’t fully understand why. I have no clear view on the effects of the various data types.

Anyway, thank you for your hints