Router Misbehaving since I installed OpenHAB

I installed OpenHAB2 on a Raspberry Pi 3+ few days ago and have been able to access it remotely from my desktop (WIndows 10). Since that very same day, I’ve been having intermittent yet frequent issues with my router. Sometimes the wired devices cannot connect, at other times it is the wireless devices that lose connection. Would there be any possibility that openHab2, and its access from Port 8080 is causing such issues? My router is a LinkSys EA8300

I tried another router, and the problem still persists. When I shut down the Raspberry, the issue seems to disappear.

How does your Pi get its ip address? DHCP?
If set manually perhaps it conflicts with your router or another device.

It’s on DHCP. I checked on Fing (an iOS App), and the IPs of my router and the RPI (openHAB) are different.

There is nothing about port 8080 that can cause this behavior. As Bruce indicates, the only time I’ve ever seen behavior anything like this is when you have two devices on the network trying to use the same IP address. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the same IP as the router.

I’m not sure Fing is going to be able to tell you this is the case because if you do have two devices with the same IP address, it will mess up Fing too, or at a minimum it will only show one of the two devices.

I suppose it’s also possible that there is something wrong with your RPi itself. It would almost have to be a physical problem unless you’ve gone out of your way to muck with your networking settings.

In all of these cases, the problem is outside the scope of openHAB itself and you will probably have better support from an RPi forum.

Or, less common, the same MAC address. Unless you have messed with that manually, ir should not happen though. They are designed to be, theoretically, globally unique.

Thank you gentlemen. I found what the issue is, and it was purely coincidental that it started at the same time I started with openHAB. The root-cause is that my ISP manages the DHCP IP addresses from their end, and lately they’ve been having issues. I tried 3 different routers, until my old ASUS diagnosed the issue to be with the ISP. Won’t name them here, but they offer fiber-optic service and relatively new to my area.

1 Like

If your ISP is so intrusive that it controls the ip addresses of your lan, I would put up a firewall between you lan and your ISP provided gateway. There is no reason they should have that much access to your lan.

3 Likes

The moment I installed piHole on my rpi and changed the DNS Server my ISP started calling me that my modem must be defect because they can´t see my connections anymore.
To this day I got my fourth modem because they all must be defect.

I was shocked how much information they can gather about my internet behaviour.

edit: The modem was of course not just a modem but also (unfortunately ) a router

2 Likes

Except that your router that hands out that information on your network, not the modem. The modem does not do any i routing. It handles the lower network layers. Are you saying your ISP does not know how their system operates?? :scream:

Yes, I’ve had a similar situation … 3 routers and all of them defective. When I connect a single computer directly to the modem (via ethernet cable), it works fine. The minute I put a router in between, then some devices work and others do not, both wired and wireless. I have 30+ devices (smart plugs, cameras, raspberry pi, …), and every time I switched routers, I did a factory reset and had to re-pair all the wireless devices with different settings … Was rather painful, and now I found out it was the ISP, thanks to an ASUS router AT-RC66U, that was able to quickly diagnose the issue.

It was my initial conclusion as well. If I connect a single device directly to the modem (no router) and that device works fine, then it’s ‘logic’ to conclude the issue was with the router. But, 3 defective routers (one of them brand new)? From what I gathered, it’s somehow the DHCP management that gets ‘confused’.

Also, my setup (fiberoptic modem + router + 2 switches) has been working fine for the past year or so. I googled up issues with my ISP, and it appears few people in my area are having ‘similar’ issues … some were able to resolve by simply ‘rebooting’ the fiberoptic modem, but that did not do it for me.

They do not like you bypassing their spying. Too bad you cannot choose a different ISP.
You are buying Internet Service, not whatever they want to feed you.
My ISP insists on injecting frames into http & https requests if they think you are getting near a bandwidth limit. That breaks mail clients until you pull up a browser & acknowledge their messages. I have no other real choice though :frowning: I feel your pain.

I just switched ISPs … luckily there are few options where I live. That, plus they increased my monthly bill … Their loss, not mine.

1 Like

I would politely reply “there is nothing wrong with your modem, I don’t want you spying on my Internet activity.”

My ISP isn’t nearly as intrusive as that, but they do some pretty shady stuff. As far as they can see, I’ve only one device connected to them (my pfSense firewall) and my DNS traffic is encrypted (DoT) so all they see is IP addresses (which frankly is enough for them to track me, they are just lazy) and mostly encrypted traffic. And I’ve strongly considered setting up a VPN, but that just moves the “spies” to the VPN provider rather than the ISP. Though there are ways to set something up in one of the cloud services to have your own private VPN, but it’s still running on “other people’s computers”.

Many ISPs provide a combo model/gateway router and call it the “modem”. But it does both.

Your router, not one provided by the ISP? Then there shouldn’t be anything that the ISP does that breaks your LAN because that would all be configured and controlled by your own router. Unless you are setting it up as a dumb AP in which case not only are you getting all your IPs from your ISP, but all your devices are directly accessible from the Internet without protection. :scream:

Why? If you configure the router with the same SSID and password than all of your wireless devices will be able to just connect to the new router with no changes. I used to have to do this all the time.

I think there is some key detail or piece of information here that in not clear because I’m not sure how this problem manifests. It doesn’t really matter though, you’re up and running now if I understand correctly.

Hello fellow Xfinity customer. I wish I had any other choice.

Nope.
Shentel.
https://www.shentel.com/

@rlkoshak…Thank you for the feedback. Here are some answers, hopefully to further clarify this situation.

• I bought my own router, not thrilled about monthly fee and whatever else a rental unit ‘pre-packages’ with their hardware.
  • When switching routers, I wanted a ‘clean’ setup, hence the factory reset and all the extra work. Not very ‘efficient’, but wanted to make sure there were no ‘ghosts/left-overs’ that could corrupt the installation.
  • Nope, I’m not setting my router as AP (access point). However two outputs from my router feed 2 separate switches that connect to multiple wired devices … I have more wired devices than the 4 standard ports available on most routers.

You wrote: Your router, not one provided by the ISP? Then there shouldn’t be anything that the ISP does that breaks your LAN because that would all be configured and controlled by your own router.

It was my initial thinking as well, but somehow that did not work. Plus, I tried 3 different routers and all had the same issue (defective, per my ISP).

Still, not sure 100% what the issue is, but so far (w xfinity) things are working … keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

What about CloudFlare’s DNS over HTTPS (DoH)?

How is this even possible? Maybe for http, but with https this should be technically impossible, since the traffic is end to end encrypted between the remote server and your computer, or am I missing something?

Glad that there are regulations against these things where I live…

I think they put the site in an iframe. They own / are owned by an advertising company, I think. :frowning: