[SOLVED]Rule not running on schedule

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: 1GB RAM, 1 CPU virtualized esxi 6.5
    • Java Runtime Environment:(Zulu 8.36.0.1-CA-linux64) (build 1.8.0_202-b05)
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0

ISSUE:

I have a rule (below) that I cannot seem to get to run on a schedule. I’ve been playing around with this rule for a couple days now and can’t seem to figure out what I’m missing. I added logInfo to the rule and tailed the openhab.log, but I don’t see the event. I see the rule refresh in the openhab.log, but I never see anything run and the switch never turns on.

Your help is much appreciated!

ITEM:

Switch   TESTOFFICE            "TESTOFFICE"                   <light>                 (gLight)                 {channel="wemo:socket:Socket-1_0-255755J0111G3F:state"}

RULE:

rule "turn TestOffice on"
when
    Time cron "0 53 15 * * ?" // Run at 3:53 PM
then
    sendCommand(TESTOFFICE, ON)
    logInfo("mooooo","Rule TESTOFFICE triggered")
end

Do you have any other rules which run around the same time or which have long seeps in them?
If you put another trigger on it like a dummy switch, does it fire?
Any other cron rules working?

In the log file, anything around “interrupted exception”? I have these which eventually stops cron.garden.pool.rules working altogether

You should use the method TESTOFFICE.sendCommand(ON). The function/action sendCommand(Itemname, command) only accepts strings and although the interpreter will try to make strings of it, something might be going wrong in your case.

Also, as a general remark, I would suggest to put a logInfo before and after the actual command in this case, so all in all:

when
    Time cron "0 53 15 * * ?" // Run at 3:53 PM
then
    TESTOFFICE.sendCommand(ON)
    logInfo("mooooo","Rule TESTOFFICE command sent")
end

Thank you for your reply.

I never had any rules, this was my first rule (was going to program some lights to turn on/off on a schedule). However, I never was able to get the time cron to work. So no other rules conflicting. I created a rule (to make sure the engine was working) that turned on a light when another light would change status. This worked without issue.

I have tried a few other items other than my test switch, but I can make it something non-existent and report back my findings.

I ran a cat | grep cron on my openhab.log file and it didn’t return anything. I have no other cron rules working, but I confirmed my time (date command) is correct and the correct timezone.

In response to RolfV, I originally had TESTOFFICE.sendCommand(ON) as my rule but some some other examples. I took your suggestions and made the appropriate changes. However the results are the same, unfortunately.

when
    Time cron "0 02 19 * * ?" // Run at 7:02 PM
then
    TESTOFFICE.sendCommand(ON)
    // sendCommand(TESTOFFICE, ON)
end

This is what I see in openhab.log:

2019-02-17 23:58:40.249 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'test_rules.rules'
2019-02-18 00:01:18.918 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'test_rules.rules'

According to your log, it’s around midnight now. So 7:02 PM will take another 19 hours. So nothing will happen in the meantime…
(Hint: your time settings might be wrong :slight_smile:)

I see what you’re talking about, the log timestamps are different. You may have spotted something ridiculously obvious.

Here is output on my OS:

moo@openhab2:~$ date
Sun Feb 17 19:04:15 EST 2019

Does openhab handle it’s time differently?

I have no idea about time and OpenHAB on linux (windows here), but maybe this gives you some hints:

Winner winner chicken dinner!

My rule kicked off when I adjusted the time of the cron to match the time in the logs. Now I just need to figure out why Openhab2 has different time from the OS.

2019-02-18 00:15:27.273 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'test_rules.rules'
2019-02-18 00:16:00.032 [INFO ] [clipse.smarthome.model.script.mooooo] - Rule TESTOFFICE triggered

I was already on that article you posted, RoflV, and have made the suggested changes. Restarted the openhab2 service and I believe this may be resolved.

tail of openhab.log after service restart

2019-02-18 00:17:18.093 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped Dashboard
2019-02-18 00:17:19.808 [INFO ] [b.core.service.AbstractActiveService] - Ecobee Refresh Service has been shut down
2019-02-17 19:19:21.275 [INFO ] [.internal.GenericScriptEngineFactory] - Activated scripting support for ECMAScript
2019-02-17 19:19:23.081 [INFO ] [ebuilder.internal.HomeBuilderServlet] - Started Home Builder at /homebuilder

Sheesh, I should have posted this the day I was having the issue. The amount of time I could have saved!

Thank you both.