Russound rnet

Well crap, I already built a serial binding for Russound. Didn’t realize this was being worked on. If y’all need any help I’m way too familiar w/ the serial protocol.

Check out my existing PR which I guess will go the way of the dodo:

It’s based on a simple library I wrote to generate serial codes for the different commands:

@tmrobert8, I haven’t had a chance to add auto-discovery by probing for different controller/zone combos yet.

The binding has been working very well using the tcp layering over the serial port.

I haven’t been able to test the direct serial port connection. I run openhab within docker on a different server than the russound serial connection, and the combination of that and getting the serial port jre setting correct has been too painful.

@holmes.j, If you could test the direct serial connection that would be great. The binding should just work once you get the serial port connection, all the code is the same as via the tcp connection.

@craigh - we really need to start thinking about getting your changes committed to the main branch. Could you start the documentation effort and any final changes to the code (maybe see if @holmes.j could help out since he already has a working version to commit).

Thanks,
Tim

Is there an updated binding/branch I can try? The last build looks like it’s from July

Hi Jason,

I have some stuff around auto-discovery which isn’t ready for checking in, but if you could test using the serial port, that code is what was in that July 7th build.

Let me know if you have any questions be glad to help you get the serial port connection tested.

thanks,
Craig

@craigh

Can you wrap up what you have, document it properly and create a PR request? They are trying to wrap up OH2.2 and it would be great to have this included. Let me know if you need any help…

Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes I will try and get it documented and ready to go. I haven’t done that before so I’ll take a look guidelines etc.

Craig

Hi,

I have updated to the latest 2.2 release build, and the binding is not working for me. I will check out logs do other troubleshoot, but would there be any obvious reason for this? Thank you.

@Sabre66 you are trying to use the rnet code? It has been working for me for months on 2.2, and it works on the 2.3 snapshots which I now use. Keep me posted.

I’ve been trying to get the code committable to the master, but it’s a fair bit of work and it’s hard to find the time.

Yes, rnet. It has been working on all the 2.2 snapshots for months. only recent change was update to 2.2 release build, so not sure what the issue is. The logs show no issues, and things are online. Not sure the issue yet.

Ok, i updated to latest snapshot on 2.3, and it works fine now. Thanks for the great work.

Hi guys!

I would like to hear your opinion about the idea of ​​a bridge between RNET and RIO protocol, implemented, for example, on the Arduino platform with the network adapter. Thus, it will be possible to directly manage CAV6.6 with My Russound app or RIO widget by Tim Roberts. I am myself not strong at programming, but I have a person who could do this, but for this I needs to correctly set the task, because he, in turn, is far from multiroom systems))).

I started searching the Internet, maybe this idea came to mind not only me)) and discovered:

What do you say - is it worth spending a little time to develop such a bridge?

@vismart

You could do that but I think you’d run into issues with what RIO supports that RNET doesn’t (like source images, etc) and vice-verca. If you have someone available, I think the better approach is for them to take the RIO widget and make a RNET widget that support it directly (should be pretty easy since it’s mostly eliminated stuff). Would be much quicker and you’d be able to support RNET only stuff directly.

Tim

Hi Craig, would it be possible to get the lastest version of the add-on? I had to rebuild my whole system. The only thing that does not work is All-on / All-off. Thank you.

I would like to get the current version of this binding as well.
Thanks for all the workput into it!

1 Like

Has this ever been made available in the real binding. The binding that I’m getting offered in the regular openHAB installation doesn’t say anything about RNET, but only about RIO.

Is there already a public way to access this?
Thanks a lot

@craigh

Are you still working on this? If not, I (or maybe @holmes.j) could potentially take your code (or his) and integrate it into the binding to be merged…

Tim

Hi,
I found this topic in my search to get my Russoundd CAA66 running with openhab. I want to control it directly thru Serial Port, i have a USB-Serial cable. No matter on which platform I try, i always get the same error message when i try to add a russound RNET device:

gnu/io/PortInUseException and the status remains UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR

I already searched like hell to find a solution.
I first tried it on an Openhab instance, installed on my synlogy NAS (DS112+), with Oracle Java. I tried this: https://www.openhab.org/docs/administration/serial.html#serial-port-configuration (the linux part).
When i was getting nowhere, I installed Openhab on a macbook pro with macOS 10.12, with Zulu Java, same error, also tried the serial port configuration mentioned above.
Today i did the same, but on my windows pc, same error. And on windows, no extra steps are necessary to get the serial ports running in Openhab.

these are the connection strings I used, each one is verified to be the correct device.
NAS: /dev/ttyUSB0
MAC: /dev/tty.usbserial
PC: COM10

In my opinion, the problem is elsewhere.

I use Openhab version 2.4.0.002 on my NAS (also tried 2.5.2 - latest available for Synology)
On Mac & PC I used the 2.5.3

version of the binding is org.openhab.binding.russound-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT, the latest I found in this toppic.
Is it possible that I have to install both the official and the snapshot to be able to add an RNET thing?

Does anyone have any idea?

thanks,
Toon

@vctoon I wrote the rnet code for russound. It has never been merged into official as I have found it too hard to keep a development environment productive with openhab, and frankly I am not interested in spending the significant amount of time which is needed to get official acceptance. The Rnet stuff works well for me.

I do things a little differently. I don’t use the serial ports directly from within Openhab.

Instead what I do is use ser2sock on linux to effectively expose my serial ports via tcp. This allows me to connect to the various ‘serial ports’ even if they are running on other servers.

For Russound I then use a tcp connection to the serial port exposed via ser2sock, wherever it may be. I do this because it allows to have any number of serial/usb devices on pis or whatever throughout the house, and not have to worry about connecting the devices directly to the server running Openhab.

My Russound RNet Device ends up using a connection string like this:
‘/tcp/192.168.1.30:7777’, which points over to the Pi in my case which has the hard connection to the russound amps.

I am doing this with org.openhab.binding.russound-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.

If you want your openhab server to be connected directly to the russound devices and use Serial ports, then that is what you will need more help with. I just don’t do that at all myself.

Hope that helps,
Craig

Hi,

Thanks for the answer! I wasn’t expecting an answer as the topic was abandoned 2 years ago :stuck_out_tongue: .
If I don’t get it working, i will use the same method as you, but it’s just unfortunately that my russound and nas are both installed in a 19" rack, 20cm apart from each other, so connecting them directly would be a lot easier.
Thanks again!

Toon