Samba access to OpenHABian from Windows 10

This worked for me…Thank You!

1 Like

Aug 05 22:00:58 openhab smbd[4757]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:00:58 openhab smbd[4761]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:00:58 openhab smbd[4767]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:00:59 openhab smbd[4769]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:01:00 openhab smbd[4775]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:01:00 openhab smbd[4780]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:01:48 openhab smbd[4751]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:02:34 openhab smbd[4795]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:02:34 openhab smbd[4797]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody
Aug 05 22:02:34 openhab smbd[4802]: pam_unix(samba:session): session closed for user nobody

Hello to all,

there is no need to change Local Group Policy and make your connection insecure even on the local network.

1. Enable the SMB 1.0 Windows Feature under Control Panel->Programs and Features-> Turn Windows Features on or off.

1. While you will map the network drive ("\IP of your OpenHab2server\openHAB-share" or just “\OPENHAB\openHAB-share”) to your Windows PC check “Connect using different credentials” and provide your user and password. Default username is “openhabian” and password is “openhabian” :slight_smile: Do not forget to be secure!
    Untitled

Under this folder you will find all folders which you need to start with OpenHab. (Logs, config, user data etc.)

I cannot connect to “openHAB-share”. I can connect to “openHAB-conf” but not to “openHAB-share”. Is there something that I might miss? I really would like to have only one mapped folder instead of connecting separately for conf, logs, etc…

Install VScode remote development and SSH to machine no samba required

1 Like

Hello Vossid,
Did you apply for Fix Permissions in openHABian configuration tool?

Install Putty
connect to your OpenHabian server with your IP address or Hostname.
User: openhabian
Password: openhabian
write:
sudo openhabian-config
Go to 10 Apply improvements
Fix Permissions and that should do all magic.

Let me please know if it worked. I would like to have super precise guide to follow.

1 Like

I did this already before a couple of times but with no success.
I tested it again right now again, but I cannot connect to “openHAB-share”. It works with the directories below (like conf, logs etc.) but there is no access to “openHAB-share”. All I get is an Error Message when trying to connect to the network share.

That share is no longer available per default. Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf if you think you need it.

Thank you @mstormi , that did the trick. What is the reason for no longer offering this as default?

Don’t recall I think there was an issue with overlapping mounts.
It’s not really needed, is it.

Well, IMHO this should be the ONLY mount offered - one for all instead of several small pieces for what?

Having access to everything increases the likelihood of unintentionally breaking things so I prefer this for beginners (pros will usually work on the system itself anyway).

I do not agree as a beginner I will not remember what you have to do or what you have done in the last 6 months. It is just a matter of approach. You can find everything what you need in this folder or you have to map each folder manually.

Can you please add hint how to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf if to do it?

Then anybody including many beginners would possibly do that right away. That would invalidate the philosophy.

Sure, you just need to login via SSH and then edit the file. You can do this with the Nano text editor:

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Then scroll down to the section with the Custom Share Definitions. You will find the entry already prepared at the top of that section but by default it is inactive and you need to uncomment these lines by removing the leading “;” (highlightened in yellow colour in my screenshot):

grafik

After that save the file and you’re done.

1 Like

Vossi I am thankful that somebody can help to end this thread. The worse case is when you are reading all through and there is no conclusion even if you know that this is the correct thread for you.

Thank you!

Then just mark it as solved :wink:
grafik

Hello, I have tried everything on this thread to no avail. Just wondering how my hardware should be set up. I have a windows 10 PC from work, i have sufficient admin privileges, i have a RP4 with openhabian 3.2 installed. i have enables wifi on the RP4. my laptop was connected directly to my SP router/modem and so was the RP4, and i couldn’t get it to work, samba sharing settings in the router are enabled. i also tried ethernet cable connection via TP-link ethernet over power, didnt work. Tried connecting the RP4 and laptop to the wifi of the TP-link EoP and it didnt work, but i have no issue connecting to http://openhabian:8080/ to change anything, putty works to connect to the RP4 also. just cannot connect to the RP4 share by mapping the drive or using VSC with the Openhab extension.

Post 32 above talks about enabling SMB 1.0. Is that enabled on your PC ? Because of security I assume the default is that it’s disabled.

Hi Wolfgang_S, i have tried everything in this thread, probably tried everything 5 times, enabling and disabling, uninstalling Samba, reinstalling Samba, enabling/disabling/reenabling SMB 1.0. and on and on and on, still no luck
Cheers for the suggestion