SARAH companion app for openHAB

Intent is not enforced though. Too many times somebody copies a configuration from a thread not understanding how it functions. When it breaks a year later they get upset that we cannot just fix it.

Users need to understand Thais configuration. I think that is why OH has a non functional demo config to illustrate functionality while giving hints fir users to adapt for their environment.

I think you missed my point pal
 you said

that is not correct.

I could argue the same.

right on Bruce

2 Likes

perhaps you could

How about a different idea. How about you use your talents to further the cause and contribute in a more conventional manner then. There are other members who are seeking the same as you, to help less technical folks use OpenHAB. You seem to have created a web interface for OpenHAB. Are you aware a whole new interface is being worked on for the next version of OpenHAB? Maybe your front end skills would benefit the community more if you contribute to the ‘official’ user interface. See here:

Perhaps instead of spending time setting up your own website to document OpenHAB, you could contribute to the ‘official’ documentation and use your talents to make the demo set up better. See here:

I somewhat understand their situation. I am personally working om some ideas around Docker. Kai has already said, in private messages, that OH is not interested.

There is room, especially with UIs using the REST API for community developed UIs outside the confines of the official distribution. Perhaps some day someone will even fork and improve on OpenHAB.

I don’t want to get too embroiled in an argument here, but I feel @seeLive is probably not feeling the love, so wanted to throw a few thoughts in and then run away :wink:

This is an open source project - many OS projects are built on other OS projects, and we probably all need each other to thrive. There are who knows how many variants of Linux out there - all looking to solve a different niche, but in general all building on the same core. We should also remember that openHAB-2 itself is built on Eclipse SmartHome - now that ESH has died, OH has become the “go-to” place for the ESH continuing developments, but there are many other ESH, and OH based systems out there. I do feel that communities can possibly work a little better together rather than push people away when they propose something slightly different.

When I started the OH ZWave database 5 years ago I proposed to the open ZWave community to share resources with the database so we had a larger community - all benefitting from common inputs but exporting to our respective systems. This was rejected by OZW - they wanted to build their own system. Are the systems different - yes - but could we have benefitted from joining forces in some way - well, I think so anyway and I think we are both a little poorer as a result.

Sure, maybe SARAH users won’t fully appreciate the intricacies of openHAB, and maybe there will be some confused users - but that’s arguably the situation now anyway and I think @seeLive is trying to address that in his way. And who knows, maybe SARAH users might just bring something to openHAB - I just kind of feel we’re jumping the gun and rejecting something, and highlighting the negatives, before giving it a chance

9 Likes

agreed
as stated:

First, they wrote a management interface, primarily. But a Web UI, if not written in an OH blessed language will get denied outright. What he is doing is not necessarily bad. Although I see “dragons” ahead.

I believe we should learn from Home Assistant where there is a volume of user developed enhance, many outside the confines of the official distribution. The system was designed to encourage that expansion. Some of those ideas have made it into the core distribution.

yes, I believe our own ‘marketplace’ was where such activity existed but because the marketplace was somehow tied to ESH, it had to be dumped. I believe a new version of the marketplace is being talked about and perhaps getting set up already

:rofl:
yeah

2 Likes

@seeLive I second this. As you appear very talented since your code is openHAB only I would suggest joining the dev team. Your ideas are welcomed I am sure, but will always get resistance when you operate as an independent 3rd party.

On my other issue of backup and restore. I can have my openHAB config changed over in two minutes. This is not my issue. It is the other required software to run my hardware.

1 Like

This is somewhat true. But, The issue is a guy like me can’t test the Sarah software as it can’t be installed independently. This is my primary issue with the product, it is all one big bundle. The only way to try is a new sd card. I know some of this is due to it being a new software, but it is still an issue.

I installed it fine yesterday. Many people here have Raspberry Pi systems.Obviously, it is not marketed toward you. (or me) I was primarily looking for ideas as I try to improve the OH experience.

1 Like

Isn’t that the same with openHABian? (I’m not familiar with openHABian, but if I look in the docs, it simply states “Flash, plug, wait, enjoy” in the docs.

Anyway, my point isn’t really this - it’s just that we should give ideas a chance. Not all ideas are welcome in openHAB - the same as Linux, there are different ideas and people want to go in different directions. OpenHAB clearly states “We’re trying very hard to keep openHAB lean and focused. We don’t want it to do everything for everybody. This means that we might decide against incorporating a new feature.” - this is quite common, and that’s fine, but when OH doesn’t want to be “everything for everyone” it also shouldn’t complain when someone tries something new.

I’m just suggesting to give this a chance, and trying to moderate the conversation a little - just because we need to flash this to an SD card doesn’t make it wrong - it might just make it not right for you :wink:

2 Likes

That is EXACTLY the way they want you to use it. I have used it on Linux but I get disparaged by the developer whenever I suggest that.

One possible issue I notice though: The openHABian devs specifically removed raspi-config due to some sort of conflict with openhabian-config. I notice @seeLive added it back. That could cause future issues.

Thank you all for your comments, thus far. I believe they have given us all a lot to think about. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nope it is in the docs and can be installed via github.

And mstormi kicks up a fit if you direct users to that.

He only wants to support the image. That makes it difficult because nobody here has the experience to support the Raspbian (Raspi OS) part.

1 Like

First off I, for one, am willing to invest my time to learn how OpenHAB works and use the knowledge for my private goals. And for nothing more, and I won’t learn more than I need. Not because I wouldn’t like it, but I simply don’t have time for that. I made some errors in the past and I probably will do some more. That’s why as soon as I have some spare time I think I will be considering to give SARAH a try - or at least read a bit more about it.
To the point.
What just happened here is @seeLIve was told his project will make only problems for the OpenHAB community (questionable for me, as the community has all the rights to refuse any support for SARAH anyway, hasn’t it?) and then he was told to rather abandon his project and work with the OpenHAB directly instead.
Hmmm
 is that some kind of marketing or social psychology trick? (seems dirty, but it’s only my private opinion. Not that I came here to argue).
I don’t work with marketing and don’t know much about it, but I wouldn’t be feeling fine with that.
Anyway I second @chris here: SARAH companion app for openHAB.

(Just to be perfectly clear, I’m not accusing anybody and it is not my intention to offend anybody. I won’t be able to come back here for a week or so, so I won’t answer)

1 Like

True. Any volunteer has the right to ignore any request for help in this community. However, it doesn’t speak well of our community when that happens, and it’s certainly not inviting to newcomers. So, what I wrote previously was largely about avoiding this scenario as much as possible.

I just want to clarify that this was not my intent, but I can see how my original post might have been interpreted this way. I’m a “hope for the best, prepare for the worst” type of person. So, I didn’t say much about the potential positives of SARAH for bringing in new users who fully embrace openHAB, because I didn’t really see any issues arising from them.

No offense taken on my part. :wink: I don’t think there’s anything wrong with disagreeing with each other, so long as we aren’t being disrespectful toward each other.

@seeLive, I’m grateful that you’re willing to have this conversation, because it’s interesting me to discuss how our perspectives differ. As @chris has pointed out, none of us have the right to say “you should or should not do this” in relation to use of open-source software. As @Andrew_Rowe pointed out, I spend a lot of time trying to help new users, so I approach a lot of openHAB conversations from the perspective of minimizing confusion and frustration for that audience.

I don’t think I said it earlier, but I’m also thinking about your relationship (as the SARAH developer) with SARAH users. I imagine that if they become frustrated with us not being able/willing to help them, they’ll quickly become frustrated with you. So, I’m trying to lay groundwork for everyone to have a good experience.

I’m a strong believer that things so much smoother when we set expectations up front, so I try to do that as much as possible (I don’t always succeed). This is why I suggested that there be some rewrites on your website to this effect, and perhaps some modifications to SARAH’s features to be more in line with your intentions (as I interpret them from our conversation). But that’s all from my perspective, and I firmly believe you should do what you think is best. Like I said earlier, take what you like, ignore what you don’t. :grinning:

2 Likes