SD card excessive write usage on Raspberry Pi

Hi,

In order to preserve my Raspberry SD card from excessive writes I would like to redirect the Openhab log files and persistence databases to an external USB Key or driver.

Can I and if possible how, change the OpenHab configuration to redirect logs and persistance files to a specific directory.

Thanks Robert

One way is to edit logback.xml and change the paths therein.

Ok, thanks, but this is for the logs only, where can I find the place where the persistance directory database are defined.
Robert

It depends on the persistence service. Some are likely fixed, others like mysql, you can put where you likeā€¦

I am currently using rrd4j, and I couldn 't find any refrence where the default directory is defined

rrd has a fixed folder location in the user data folder. You could probably move the whole user data (I think this is probably a setting somewhere - it definitely is in OH2), but you canā€™t change just the rrd folder with the current codebase.

So the only one l should be able to define in a non default location is currently only mysql?

I donā€™t know - Iā€™m reasonably sure that others would also allow the database to be set, but Iā€™m not personally knowledgeable in all the others. My guess though is that databases like influx and mongo would also allow this, but Iā€™m not certain.

Maybe others can jump in here and comment - or maybe the wiki might say :wink:

You can ā€œmoveā€ the rrd4j folder using symbolic links. Put the folder on your external drive and ln -s that folder to ā€˜/var/lib/openhab/persistenceā€™.

2 Likes

Good idea, I will try that
Robert