Seeing history of lights turned on in a group

Hi All, I am running openHAB 1.8 with a mySQL server and am trying to view a chart of how many lights in total are turned on.

I have a group item defined as follows

Group:Switch:OR(ON, OFF) Lights "All Lights [(%d)]" (All)

and a persistence config as:

Strategies {
    everyHour : "0 0 * * * ?"
    everyDay  : "0 0 0 * * ?"

default = everyChange
}

Items {
    Lights : strategy = everyChange, everyHour, restoreOnStartup
}

Lights are controlled individually but the counter “%d” works as I would like it to, unfortunately when I try to view the number of lights as a history chart (i.e. chart?items=Lights&period=h&service=mysql) it shows up as empty.

I’m guessing this happens because I should be using type “Number”, if this is the case how do I count the ON states of the group so that I can store it in a new Item which persists?

I don’t think the state of a Group is persisted and even if it were I’m positive that non-state info like the count of members who are ON is not persisted so what you would have to do is add a new Number Item and update it with the count of ON lights using a rule along the lines of the following:

rule "Get Lights On Count"
when
    Item Lights received update
then
    LightsCount.postUpdate(Lights.members.filter(l|l.state==ON).size)
end

Then make sure that LightsCount is stored in your persistence and chart that instead of the Group.

2 Likes

This works great, thank you for the solution and for explaining where it was going wrong!!