sendCommand() Documentation

Thanks! I don’t know, how I could not find it.
:hushed:

1 Like

Just +1-ing the ‘Rikoshak is world’s best OH rule explainer and should definitely integrate all these articles in a wiki’.

Or maybe you should start a blog, I think you even risk making money out of it.

Seriously, every time I have an issue I google it and one of your responses comes up. Kudos.

Theoretically, they will all become merged with the docs. But time is in short supply right now so…

I can only second your gratitude towards @rlkoshak and his help here in the community.
I however also want to encourage YOU to contribute to the documentation. Yet another half baked wiki or blog is not doing any good. Everyone is invited to contribute to the page http://docs.openhab.org. If you want to add an improvement, just open an issue at https://github.com/openhab/openhab-docs/issues and I’ll be happy to incorporate it :wink:

3 Likes

+1 to Thom’s comment. As a SysAdmin recently moving from OH1 to OH2, I naturally started with the documentation. I experienced A Lot of Pain. Particularly difficult was understanding how text configuration files relate to the paperUI. A really (really) painful part to figure out was that text files are only read at startup. A simple note in the documentation would really help.

As I slogged my way through figuring out rules (which, unfortunately, I undertook at the same time I was moving to OH2), I finally figured out that I had to restart OH2 every time I made a rules change in order for it to go into effect.

In summary, a FAQ is a great idea, but I am not sure basic set-up information should be put there. I much better solution would be to improve the documentation.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve already commented here: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-docs/issues/409#issuecomment-310039315 - to tell you that this is not correct :smiley: The problem you experienced is probably related to some other issue, maybe a malformed rule file or some other error in your config. Are you using the latest snapshot? Config file checking was improved a lot in the last couple of months.

Hi Thom,

Here is one example of my rules…

rule “pingMe”

when
Time cron "0 0 0/1 * * ?“
then
sendNotification("brad@gilmer.tv”,“Hourly Ping!”)
end

I am on the stable branch, so maybe this is the problem. I will go look at how to get the latest shapshot.

openHAB 2.1 will come out soon, you can wait for this stable release.

Your rule looks fine to me and I am (as thousands others) on 2.0 stable. Your situation is pretty weird. @rlkoshak any similar case you know of?

I am running this on raspbian jessie. I did an apt-get install with the distro set as follows:

deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main

If you say this problem is not usual in the stable branch, then maybe it is worth finding out what is going on so you guys can fix it. Just let me know what else I can provide.

Would you like me to go to the snapshot branch and report back?

Not on 2.0 Stable. There have been lots of people having problems with rules files being loaded twice on 2.1 Snapshot but not a case where changes to a .rules file shows it being loaded in the log but requires a restart to take effect. This is weird indeed.

If it is going to be fixed at all it will be in the snapshot so that would be a good step to take.

@ThomDietrich, and I see I promised to add a rules FAQ section and never did. I’ll add it to my todos and hopefully won’t forget this time.

Another update - it appears to be fixed on the apt “testing” branch.

@dastrix80
Just use two line:

item1.sendCommand(...)
item2.sendCommand(...)

They will be executed within ms of each other

Change the topic of your thread, this is not scipt and rules, this is habpanel.

1 Like

I am trying to send a “%” to a serial global cache device…doesn’t seem to work. do I have to encode the %?

Probably better to open a new thread and provide your relevant Items and Rules than to reopen a two year old thread.