Short: Yes on the time elements, but there were recognized ok.
Probably TMI: Although not a developer, I learned how to create a modified Zwave binding .jar so I could get a humidity reading off my RTC-101 thermostat. RTC-101’s have a quirk (or non-compliance depending on your point of view).
A few months ago I started using a Zniffer and noticed that a few of my ECO door nodes were not acknowledging the Wake Up No More Information (WUNMI) thereby causing a lot of network traffic as the controller desperately tried to get the message through. Investigating led me find that for Silabs Zwave compliance a battery device needs to go to sleep the sooner of receiving a WUNMI command or 10 seconds since the last command. Since most of my devices, except the Sensative strips were on rechargeable batteries, I modified the Zwave binding to stop sending the WUNMI and set my wakeups to 86400, depending on the Silab 10 seconds standard for the node to sleep. So far so good on that. Battery life stable.
What I also reasoned was that the WUNMI command was responsible for the time elements you noted during battery device initialization that appear in many forum posts. Currently the default binding sends the WUNMI command after 5 seconds, not enough time to configure the device. Also it appears from my testing that depending on where the initialization stops, it sometimes takes several seconds to get going again, limiting what configuration can happen with one wake-up. There is a 5 second command time out that comes into play in a least one instance. However, on my test device with the WUNMI disabled, it is fully discovered and configured in 14 seconds after simply installing the battery.
What I’m working on (with my limited ability and understanding) is to develop a PR with the WUNMI active, so battery devices with frequent wake-ups are not drained, but with some of the benefits I noticed with the WUNMI disabled.
Lastly, I did all this after I configured the Sensative strips, so have no actual data to provide on these. At the time, it just “seemed” that the strips did not stay awake for even the WUNMI (possibly a non-compliance issue), but it would make sense the manufacturer might do that with the non-replaceable battery. Having the Zniffer, I could follow the inclusion process in real time, so I just kept waking them manually. I recall it might have taken a couple of hours depending on the location.