Sensative strip and OH3 experience

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the Sensative Guard strips. So far, I see a few posts on this forum.
However, most of the posts relate to OH2 or earlier and secondly most of the post are about issues. Most likely that’s when people turn to the forum.

I wanted to know if people have good or great experiences with this strip preferred in combination with OH3 before I buy them (need about 6 so quit an investment).

Let me know and thanks!

I am not sure on your use case but since they advertise working with Google it may work through a Google binding.

Personally, I would not trust security infrastructure that relies on Internet cloud access to function.

It should work fine via the z-wave system and binding as well :slight_smile: That’s how I plan to use them.

It’s just another set of door/window open and closed sensors to use for OH and basic alarm function but I would never relay fully on OH for security. I had too many issues (probably my programming and some RPI stability stuff) in the past to fully rely on it…

I did buy three about two months ago to replace three ECO 2.5 versions. They work fine with OH3, I’m now on 3.1M5, but was on an earlier version when I first included them. I would rate them as difficult to include (more than a typical difficult to include battery device :wink:). The big uncertainty for me is how long they will last. I’m using the 86400 second wakeup. So far still at 100%.

Bob

Another option might be to try zwavejs2mqtt with the mosquitto broker. In my testing it has interviewed (discovered) completely battery operated devices. Sometimes it take hours (waiting for wake up?) but I have not had it fail so far.

What exactly is the difficulty here? Is that the same as I read in other topics (ie. It takes multiple wake-ups and hours/days or is badly recognized)?

Short: Yes on the time elements, but there were recognized ok.

Probably TMI: Although not a developer, I learned how to create a modified Zwave binding .jar so I could get a humidity reading off my RTC-101 thermostat. RTC-101’s have a quirk (or non-compliance depending on your point of view).

A few months ago I started using a Zniffer and noticed that a few of my ECO door nodes were not acknowledging the Wake Up No More Information (WUNMI) thereby causing a lot of network traffic as the controller desperately tried to get the message through. Investigating led me find that for Silabs Zwave compliance a battery device needs to go to sleep the sooner of receiving a WUNMI command or 10 seconds since the last command. Since most of my devices, except the Sensative strips were on rechargeable batteries, I modified the Zwave binding to stop sending the WUNMI and set my wakeups to 86400, depending on the Silab 10 seconds standard for the node to sleep. So far so good on that. Battery life stable.

What I also reasoned was that the WUNMI command was responsible for the time elements you noted during battery device initialization that appear in many forum posts. Currently the default binding sends the WUNMI command after 5 seconds, not enough time to configure the device. Also it appears from my testing that depending on where the initialization stops, it sometimes takes several seconds to get going again, limiting what configuration can happen with one wake-up. There is a 5 second command time out that comes into play in a least one instance. However, on my test device with the WUNMI disabled, it is fully discovered and configured in 14 seconds after simply installing the battery.

What I’m working on (with my limited ability and understanding) is to develop a PR with the WUNMI active, so battery devices with frequent wake-ups are not drained, but with some of the benefits I noticed with the WUNMI disabled.

Lastly, I did all this after I configured the Sensative strips, so have no actual data to provide on these. At the time, it just “seemed” that the strips did not stay awake for even the WUNMI (possibly a non-compliance issue), but it would make sense the manufacturer might do that with the non-replaceable battery. Having the Zniffer, I could follow the inclusion process in real time, so I just kept waking them manually. I recall it might have taken a couple of hours depending on the location.

Bob

Thanks for the feedback @apella12 ! Seems it is a bit of a hassle to set things up but then they do work.

If currently have 3 Fibaro door sensors but find them quit bulky…

For those who wonder…

I bought six of these strips in total. 1 was a, what we call a ‘Monday morning product’. In other words, it was a bad one. The battery died within a few days. This strip got replaced for free by my supplier for a proper one.

After inclusion, I woke up the devices about 5 times which did configured 14 of the 25 Thing properties in OH. After about 15 wake-ups more, I decided to shut down OH, unplug the Z-stick, plug it back in en start OH again. Then, all 25 properties were in the list and the stick was fully functional.

What I don’t know is how many wake-ups would have been the minimum and did I really need to unplug and plug the Z-stick back in. What I do suspect is that shutting down OH did help as with the restart, all other 11 properties were there without further awakening of the devices.

Happy Habbing!