Serial Binding Item Not Displaying Data In HABPanel

I’m a new OpenHAB user. I have a HABPanel dummy widget that’s set to display the value from a serial binding item, but the value is always NULL.

I have OpenHABian (downloaded yesterday from the website) running on a Raspberry Pi Zero W. I have the wireless set up and that is connected. I installed binding-serial1 - 1.13.0 as well. I am using a 3DR 915 MHz USB dongle, and if I use the screen utility I can see the data coming through. The USB dongle is /dev/ttyUSB0. I’ve created a default.items file with the following line in it.

Number         Temperature        "Bottom Temp Sensor"   (BinTemp)       { serial="/dev/ttyUSB0@57600,REGEX(temp1=(.*?)'C))" }

The data coming through in screen is the following, with a newline (\n) after it.

temp1=21.19'C

That value never makes it through to the HABPanel widget though. I installed the serial binding through Paper UI, but it doesn’t show up anywhere (I assume because it’s a 1.x binding), and I can’t create a thing for that binding. However, the item I created in the default.items file does show up in the Configuration->Items list in Paper UI, and is an option to select for the dummy widget in HABPanel. I don’t see any errors in the logs, just a message that default.items was being loaded. The openhab user is in the dialout group as well. I’m not sure what to check from here.

Welcome to the openHAB community!

I noticed you have one extra closing bracket in the RegEx expression. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wow, I should have caught that. It works great now. Thanks for your help!

You’re welcome.
That’s what happens many of us after staring at a configuration for some time…

1 Like