Serial port does not exist

I have some issues with connecting a USB device to my setup.
I’ve a brand new openhabian installation and configured both options in 35 (Serial Port setup).

lusb gives me the device

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC

sudo ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 22 14:37 /dev/ttyUSB0

But the binding I use (DSMR Binding) keeps complaining that the serial port does not exist. Also tried it with the Serial Binding

dmesg | grep tty also gives no errors:

usb 1-1.5: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

What am I missing?

Is the user that is running OH a member of the dialout group? You can run the id command and it will tell you what groups the user belongs to.

yes it is:

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ id
uid=1000(openhabian) gid=115(openhab) groups=115(openhab),4(adm),5(tty),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),60(games),100(users),105(input),109(netdev),112(bluetooth),997(gpio),998(i2c),999(spi),1000(openhabian)
openhabian@openhabian:~ $ id openhab
uid=110(openhab) gid=115(openhab) groups=115(openhab),5(tty),20(dialout),29(audio),112(bluetooth),997(gpio)
1 Like

I ran into the same issue on a new install, setup was working fine on the old installation.
Did you find a solution?

I’m also using a serial port for a serial and modbus thing, both are working fine.
Switching one of these working ports to the dsmr binding will give the same error “Serial port does not exist”.
So it seems to be a problem with the dsmr binding?

I switch to an external device which is conneted directly to the P1 port and data is tranferred via MQTT to openHAB.

So this is the way to go? The normal P1 port cable always worked perfect. I have the same error message that serial port does not exist.

Providing more info when suspecting that the DSMR binding does not work (with certain) serial devices is key.

Can be that the device is working/communicating/reacting in a way that the binding does not expect which is an indication for the binding that the serial port does not exist.

What changed exactly that broke the connection? Type/brand of device? Old and new version of a new installation?

Temporarily enable trace logging for the binding and disable/enable the binding or Thing (bridge) and post the log entries for the binding.

Have you tried to clear the cache when changing from serial device? Are you using textual or UI configuration and can you post the configuration of the DSMR Bridge thing? Did you use auto discovery (don’t know from the top of my head if that is available for DSMR)?