Setup HUSBZB-1 (EMBER EM35x Coordinator) Help Please

In Karaf…

list |grep -i zig

It’s possible your wifi could be interfering, especially if the controller is sitting near to your AP. Setting the channel to 25 may help, especially if your AP is on channel 1.

Here are what I presume are the relevant entries:

208 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.0.11                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
211 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.3.0                  │ ZigBee Binding
213 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.3.0                  │ ZigBee Ember Binding

The usb stick is right next to the WiFi. I’ll try the channel suggestion as soon as I have some time to do a bit more testing.

15 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.0.12                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
 16 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.0.12                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
 18 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201806152142     │ ZigBee Ember Binding
 19 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201806152142     │ ZigBee Binding

I’m not on the very latest, but recent. These can be installed manually, but it is much easier to just upgrade to the OH snapshot. Every now and then I still need to rediscover a bulb. GE Links are notorious for this.

After moving the bulb much closer, 30h have passed and it’s working still. So it seems to be indeed a radio link issue.

1 Like

@5iver, how do you re-discover? I had a power outage and I tried everything I could think of. Remove the things and then re-discover them, but my two bulbs are still not responding. If I turn them off, even after 8h, they still show as online while I don’t think they would keep communicating. Do lightbulb have internal batteries?

I have GE Link bulbs. When they fall off the network, I first power cycle them. If that doesn’t work, I turn them off, start a discovery, and then turn them on. If they have been on for a long time, they sometimes need to sit powered off for a while… maybe overheated? If that doesn’t work, I reset them (5s off, 5s on, … repeat 5x), then start discovery.

Hooking up Alexa to do the discovery is really nice for this!

@5iver, I’ve tried all this without success. i.e. the (re)discovery seems to work, but nothing can be controlled anymore.

Going back to the binding versions, I’m not sure I want to use the OH snapshot as it is supposedly unstable. But don’t mind the binding snapshots, since it’s unstable anyways for me! :smiley: How do I do that?

On older versions of the binding, I recall having unrespnsive nodes and an OH restart cleared them up… at least for a while.

IMO, it’s more stable than release. When you hit a bad build (like today, I found 1310 badly broke JSR223), just delete it and restore your backup. Very easy to to with a manual install, because it is just one directory.

I think this post has the details you need. But you probably don’t want to go too bleeding edge with the zsmartsystems stuff (I’m still on 1.0.13).

Some more questions:

• Does the Coordinator need to have hardware or software flow control? Initially I had not paid attention and left hardware flow control. It did work that way when things were working. Now I put it into software after reading some where that the ember coordinator needs software flow control.
  • I tried to change the channel to 25, but it keeps coming back to 20. What could I be missing?

Did you forget to put a link?

Software

I remember having trouble with this too. It may have been the version of the binding, or it may have been needing to set Reset Controller to True. There may have been a power cycle of the stick involved too. Sorry, I don’t recall. You could also delete the Thing and create a new one with exactly the same settings, but using channel 25.

Oops… it’s in there now!

I now have:

216 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.0.13                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
217 │ Active   │  80 │ 1.0.13                 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
218 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945     │ ZigBee Binding
219 │ Active   │  80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945     │ ZigBee Ember Binding

Is that what you have as well?

280 │ Active │ 80 │ 1.0.13 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
281 │ Active │ 80 │ 1.0.13 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
284 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945 │ org.openhab.binding.zigbee.ember
285 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945 │ org.openhab.binding.zigbee

Twins!

Finally, after removing, resetting the bulbs themselves and then re-discovering, they now work again. I hope it will all work better now.
Thanks once again, @5iver for your help.

This version of the binding definitely works better for Ember coordinators than the release version, but I still have bulbs dropping occasionally. They are pretty crumby bulbs, but GE sent me replacements under warranty, so I have lots of spare crumby bulbs. :roll_eyes:

I recommend a 6’ USB extension cable to keep the usb device further away. I’m using the Raspberry Pi and doing this, and is all working very well.

Remove the thing, then perform a reset as per the manufacturer’s manual instructions for that device.

CdJackson told me it (Zigbee binding) should be Hardware Control, and set the baud rate to 57600. It has been working perfectly for me. You’ll find when setting to “software control” your zigbee devices will not work.

Yes, that too worked for me. Once reset and paired with this coordinator, it should “remember” going forward.

You are probably using different hardware. For this device, HUSBZB-1, flow control should be set to software. Myself and others with the HUSBZB-1 are using it this way, and it is definitely working. It’s also specified in the documentation…

I’m using the HUSBZB-1, too.

Based on the documentation and other posts, I’m guessing @chris misstated the flow control setting in this post…