Setup Questions

Very new user here, trying to figure this out! I first installed the ‘snap’ version on ubuntu but decided to uninstall and follow the directions here, that worked, but had the java issues as others also asked, so thanks, those threads got me running again (since the snap version did run).

I went into PaperUI and setup to bindings (Just network and Onkyo which seem to work) and I have a jar file for another one (myQ). So I have two questions after going to the /usr/share/openhab2/addons and I don’t see anything there.

1. The bindings I installed from PaperUI, where do they appear?
  2. This binding I have I assume I put in the /addons directory but I think the permissions are set to openhab. What is the most common process to gain permissions to manually edit the files you need to, add your user account to the directory for permission or just use root?

Thanks for any and all help for a newbie that wants to start doing some automation!

welcome ! :slight_smile:

They are burried deep under $OPENHAB_USERDATA. No need to play with those jars. Manage these addons via the PaperUI.

sneak peak
root@homer:~# cd /var/lib/openhab2/
root@homer:/var/lib/openhab2# find . -name *jar
./tmp/mvn/net/minidev/accessors-smart/1.1/accessors-smart-1.1.jar
./tmp/mvn/net/minidev/json-smart/2.2/json-smart-2.2.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/io/org.openhab.io.homekit/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.homekit-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/io/org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/action/org.openhab.action.mail/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.action.mail-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/ui/org.openhab.ui.habmin/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.ui.habmin-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/ui/org.openhab.ui.habpanel/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.ui.habpanel-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.weather/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.weather-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.mqtt/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.mqtt-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.knx/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.knx-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.zwave/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.samsungtv/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.samsungtv-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/binding/org.openhab.binding.wol/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.binding.wol-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/core/org.openhab.ui.paperui/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.ui.paperui-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/core/org.openhab.io.rest.docs/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.io.rest.docs-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/core/org.openhab.ui.basicui/2.2.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.ui.basicui-2.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/persistence/org.openhab.persistence.influxdb/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.persistence.influxdb-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/openhab/persistence/org.openhab.persistence.mapdb/1.11.0-SNAPSHOT/org.openhab.persistence.mapdb-1.11.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/transform/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.regex/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.regex-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/transform/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.map/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.map-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/transform/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.jsonpath/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.transform.jsonpath-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/extension/ui/org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.basic/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.basic-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/extension/ui/org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/binding/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.astro/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.astro-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/org/eclipse/smarthome/binding/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.ntp/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.ntp-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
./tmp/mvn/com/jayway/jsonpath/json-path/2.1.0/json-path-2.1.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/123/0/.cp/lib/joda-time-2.9.2.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/167/0/.cp/lib/jl1.0.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/204/0/.cp/lib/jackson-core-2.4.1.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/213/0/.cp/lib/xstream-1.4.6.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/213/0/.cp/lib/commons-codec-1.10.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/95/0/.cp/lib/xstream-1.4.7.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/org.glassfish.javax.json-1.0.4.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/org.zeromq.curve25519-java-0.1.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/org.bouncycastle.bcprov-jdk15on-1.51.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/com.nimbusds.srp6a-1.5.2.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/io.netty.netty-all-4.0.32.Final.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/javax.json.javax.json-api-1.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/com.beowulfe.hap.hap-1.1.3.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/207/0/.cp/lib/net.i2p.crypto.eddsa-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/211/0/.cp/lib/mapdb-1.0.7.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/gson-2.3.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/okio-1.4.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/okhttp-2.4.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/influxdb-java-2.2.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/retrofit-1.9.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/210/0/.cp/lib/guava-18.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/173/0/.cp/lib/jsch-0.1.54.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/179/0/.cp/lib/jackson-core-asl-1.9.2.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/179/0/.cp/lib/jackson-mapper-asl-1.9.2.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/134/0/.cp/lib/xchart-2.6.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/102/0/.cp/lib/quartz-2.2.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/102/0/.cp/lib/quartz-jobs-2.2.1.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/200/0/.cp/lib/commons-email-1.4.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/209/0/.cp/lib/org.eclipse.paho.client.mqttv3-1.1.0.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/201/0/.cp/lib/calimero-rxtx-2.0a3.jar
./cache/org.eclipse.osgi/201/0/.cp/lib/calimero-core-2.3-beta.jar

You can use root to copy the *.jar file into /usr/share/openhab2/addons/ for manual deployment of addons.
Then, you can chown -R openhab:openhab /usr/share/openhab2/addons/. But this is not really needed since OH2 will need just read access to the *.jar and this is usually available by default (so you could have the jar file owned by root and with read access to all and it would still work).

I’m dealing with similar issues now.
I tried ‘snap’ version on ubuntu first, then the apt-get the java version. Had some permission issues too.
Under ubuntu, users don’t have true root access. I thought the “snap” was removed, but it was still there under another username, and two versions would autoload with the system. The “snap” was running under root username, the apt-get java version was running under openhab username. One versions will be load first randomly. So I got a lot of permission issues. If the snap version loaded first with root username, the usb Zwave stick won’t find its serial port /dev/ttyACM0. I login ubuntu with that username, and remvoe the snap version. Now my permission issues are gone.
user@server:~$ top |grep java
user@server:~$ apt-cache showpkg openhab2

The latest binding-zwave-2.2.0.SNAPSHOT has secure binding issues. I couldn’t secures-include my garage-door controller, nor open the garage-door, but other channels of the same garage-dr controller work in a non-secure inclusion. I download that binding-zwave - 2.1.0.SNAPSHOT.jar at that thread. move to my server /usr/share/openhab2/addons with Samba and mv, chown -R. But my openhab refuses to install the local 2.1.0.SNAPSHOT.jar, keeps installing the online 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT, even after disconnecting the CAT5 cable from my modem. Where is the cached binding-zwave-2.2.0.SNAPSHOT.jar ?
download the jar, move to my server /etc/openhab2/ with samba
sudo mv /etc/openhab2/
-SNAPSHOT.jar /usr/share/openhab2/addons
sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /usr/share/openhab2/addons/*-SNAPSHOT.jar

Only the development version of the zwave binding supports secure devices:

Read the first couple of posts in that thread on how to install the binding.

thank u, moved my reply to that thread.

Actually following this

should already do the trick :grinning:

Thank to all you. I get it done, and post at this thread.

openHAB console +

1 Like

Post No. 11 out of the “couple of posts” like mentioned by @Dim should solve it …

1 Like