Setup your own openhab-cloud (myopenhab) server/instance

Got it, fixed it in this patch if you’re interested.

1 Like

Fast fix! love it…!!

one other question… are you able to use Paper UI through the Dashboard? All other UI’s (including habpanel) seem to work just fine but Paper UI gives me " Cannot GET /paperui/index.html"

Will the openhab-cloud server work with Google’s cheapest version of their compute engines with only 0.6 GB RAM?

I’m not the developer so I’m not really sure what they’re doing here but I see no reason why it can’t be done. I created an issue for it.

I would assume so, mine is currently only using 174M ram and no cpu.

Hi Chris,

I spinned up a VM at Scaleway.com.

• 4 dedicated ARM cores
  • 2GB RAM
  • 50GB SSD
  • 200Mb/s unmetered traffic

2,99 a month… more powerful and cheaper when compared to google

1 Like

awesome stuff!

I didn’t try it out yet, does this have by chance any impact on response times? I found that using the official alexa skill with myopenhab results in 5-10 seconds delay, until the job is executed.

It’s much faster on it’s own server (assuming you’re the only one using it)

How difficult is to handle the updates of the cloud?

Assuming no broken changes by the developers, pretty easy.

• git pull
  • restart

Wouldn’t it be nice if the repo README contains a banner with the Travis CI or Cloudbees status?

1 Like

OK, Noob question here, using terminal, cd to openhab-cloud sub-d, run “git pull”, git tells me “already up to date”, although I don’t have either of the new config-x.json files, with the registration disable code. Am I missing something??

Thanks for your help!!!

PS Double NOOB, both git and ubuntu, although I understand how both work, and have "played’ with various Linux systems in the past.

You’re doing it right, that commit hasn’t been merged into master yet when it does the git pull will get it.

After I posting I looked around, and with my small understanding of GIT, I thought that was what was up, but wanted the “expert” answer. LOL

Hi,

thanks for this great tutorial, but I’ve one question:

How can I start app.js as a service?

Thanks
Thomas

Try https://github.com/Unitech/pm2

Thanks!

That works.

I’d like to let everyone know about my experience setting up the myopenhab, on both Amazon Web Services (AWS), and GoDaddy cloud server.

I want it to be known that I am not associated in any way with either Company other than being a customer of both. I hold no stock or stake in either company.

I followed the instructions both in this post and in the read me found on github for myopenhab.

I started with AWS, the setup was easy, the help provided both by AWS and other people via a simple Google search was impressive, and I was able to get ubuntu setup, along with a graphical interface, Putty terminal access, and FileZilla FTP access in under two hours. Following both sets of instructions provided, I was able to get myopenhab running, and get an SSL cert for my domain. The only time I needed to interact with AWS support was to get an “RDNS” entry added to the AWS DNS Servers so that the AWS server was seen as my domain. You need an “elastic IP Address” and also need to have your “A” record created and propagated before attempting this. The instructions to do this are included on this page under “elastic IP address”. https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/faqs/#elastic-ip.

Although I did commission and destroy a few servers before getting everything right, the commissioning of a new server takes 2 minutes at most before you can logon, so the most painful part was destroying all my work.

Now Godaddy, comissioning of severs, about the same as AWS, other than that, my experience was horrible, documentation was slim at best, and the details neeeded to logon via either cert, or password were, unavailable.

I gave up after numerous server commissions, and destroys, while never being able to logon to a terminal.

As I’ve said before, I am a Linux noob, and Windows Expert.

Hopefully this is helpful to those looking to install myopenhab on a cloud server of some type.

Any questions feel free to ask, I am a sometimes daily sometimes weekly forum browser.

The prices of both services are comparable, $8-10 for a 1 cpu, 30 GB HD, cloud server, AWS is giving you a year free, (read the rules, they are generous in my opinion), GoDaddy is giving a month free.

ryandetzel, thanks for the help and all the work you do!!!

Good info Joe, thanks. I use AWS all the time and it’s great, little pricey but like you said since it’ so popular there is a lot of help out there. If you’re up to it I suggest you try one of the other providers, Digital Ocean, Linode, or Scaleway as I think you’ll have a better experience and they tend to be a little cheaper.

Would anyone be interested in this as a docker?

2 Likes