Shelly Binding

Once again

• The release version 2.5.6, 2.5.7, 2.5.8 do NOT support firmware 1.8 or only with restrictions - CoIoT support raises an exception or updates are not processed.
  • The DEV build supports all devices with firmware 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 except Shelly Air.
  • PR is process, but progressing very slow

Please find the link to the DEV build below, you have to follow the installation instructions. Don‘t install it parallel to the one you have in PaperUI. Even it is named 2.5.8-SNAPSHOT it‘s newer than the 2.5.8 release version, I‘ve not switched to 2.5.9 number yet.

Latest DEV build - README - Installation - Firmware Index - Firmware Archive - API Doc

Thank you, after installing it I do not see any errors more in the log and also the Dimmer V2 with Firmware 1.8.2 works now in OpenHAB2 and the Thing shows as ONLINE :+1:

I’ve noticed that no one of my selly things is using coap after the discovery, I’ve no coAP events in the logs, only for some time after the discovery…Dont know what to try anymore, I’ve updated to 2.5.8 and last DEV build :frowning_face:

hmm, that‘s strange
I see that Coap is enabled, the discovery comes and 1 status update message, but then nothing. Usually the device should send a Coap status message every 15sec

Could you provide a Wireshark pcap?

fyi

UPDATE: Firmware 1.8.3 is released for all main powered devices.

What issues we are resolve with it:

CoAP status delay is resolved. Now maximum delay time between status change and report is 200 miliseconds.

UPDATE: Firmware 1.8.2 is released for RGBW2, Door Window , Door Window 2 and Dimmer 2

What issues we are resolve with it:

Shelly RGBW2:

• Status led light control is added - in 1.8.0 this feature do not work for this device.

• Default power state do not work correct if switch type are set to “Edge”.

Shely Door Window/Door Window 2:
be sure to wake the device after you make changes to receive them and execute them the next time you wake up.

• Mutly-actions enabled, after update you can set them from Shelly APP - also there is much more possibility than 1.7.x firmware.

• You will have option to disable LUX sensor to wake-up the device. But if the device is trigered from another sensor LUX will be reported.

• DW/2 Fahrenheit Display almost 2x Correct Value. This is only for costumers which already has firmware 1.8.

Shelly Dimmer2

• Overheating value do now show correctly - “Overheating null C” - fixed.

UPDATE: Firmware 1.8.1 is relesed for Shelly EM and 3EM. This hot fix resolve issue with wrong calculation of total consumed energy.

Firmware 1.8 is a majorly significant update on all Shelly devices and the first to release on our agenda. Thank you to all our developers, QA team, and you guys who helped us test it before its release!

Let’s break it down!

New features and bug fixes for all Shelly devices

• All disconnection problem which need to reboot the device is gone! - we’ve integrated the newest Wi-Fi SDK and LwIP stack

• Multiple actions - 1. up to 5 actions for all devices are added. Be careful in case the requests to the chosen server are slow, as this could affect the normal operation of the device. Each URL allows up to 256 characters. In terms of battery devices, performing many actions will affect battery life because wake-up time will be longer.

• Channel and devices labels in internal WebUI will be sync with Application names - if you want to disable this option and have different names in device WebUI and the App, you can disable this option from “Device settings” in the App. Otherwise, each time you open the app, the name of the device and channels in WebUI will be synced with the given names in the app.

• BETA firmware for all - when released for testing, everyone can try it and report any issues. This option is available from your device WebUI under the option “Firmware update”. You can switch back to the latest stable version anytime!

• Open Wi-Fi network supported - you can now connect your Shelly devices to an open-access network. We however, advise you to set a password for your devices and do not connect them to unprotected Wi-Fi network, otherwise, everyone in the same network can control them.

• Relays: Show source of last command - if your device state is changing whitout a reason you can see from where the command is comming. You can find this information In http://deviceIP/status “source”: “input”

cloud, http for HTTP commands, mqtt, input for physical input events, schedule and sun events, timer for auto_on/auto_off and one-time flip-back timers

• Status light disable - an option to disable status LED on all devices, as per your frequent request for this feature.

• Overconsumption value - if your device switches off because the maximum consumption value is reached, you can now check the precise value in the App and WebUI.

• CoAP - the UDP protocol is re-written from scratch and is much more consistent and bug-free.

• Setting static ip leads to crash - sometimes, devices crashed when the cloud is disabled and Static IP is set together with MQTT. Bug is fixed!

• Total power not calculated without being connected to internet - Fixed, now total power is calculated also when device is not connected to the internet.

• Local actions don’t work when device login is restricted - Fixed

• MQTT: Add model identifier to announce packet - Now that the topic prefix is customizable, it is not trivial to figure out the model of a device over MQTT. Add model key with SHXXX-N model identifier. This is called type in the /shelly HTTP endpoint.

New features and bug fixes per device

• Shelly EM and 3EM - 1. issues with sending data to the cloud and store energy data. We changed the file system to resolve this issue. Attention: All data stored in the device will be deleted, while data stored in the cloud will be not affected.

• H&T, Flood and Smoke battery level - 1. we’ve made improvements in calculating the precise battery level for these devices. After updating, you can now view a low battery level.

• Door/Door2 Disable LUX sensor - to improve your device’s battery life, you can disable the LUX sensor. Data from the sensor will be reported together with other events, but the device will not wake-up from it.

• Dimmer - many improvements regarding compatibility with different dimmable loads.

• Shelly1/Shelly1PM Temperature Add-On - treshold to reports is set to 0.1 degree instead 0.5 before that.

• All bettery operated devices - Battery drain fast in case of missing Wi-Fi coverage. Issue fixed, however, battery-operated devices will not support the Backup Wi-Fi network. Will be improved with the next firmware.

• Shelly Gas can control wired Valve to open and close ligud or gas pipes. More information will be add in www.shelly.cloud and compatible valves will be soon on-stock.

• Shelly Dimmer/Dimmer 2 - New rest command for brightness. The new endpoints by REST and MQTT is:

dim=up - increse brigthess.
dim=down - decrease brigthess
dim=stop - stop executing up or down commands.
dim=cycle- Up/Stop/Down/stop/…sequence

• Shelly Flood - temperature ofset is added

These are not all the advances we’ve made, yet they are the main ones added in Firmware 1.8.

Enjoy with Shelly

I just updated to OH 2.5.8. Ran several restarts as usual when updating OH. :frowning_face: As I saw several exception on all types of DEV jars in add ons, I decided to remove them for now and check what is working with the release versions after this update. As all of my Shellys are updated to 1.8.x, it looks like there are still problems with this Shelly version and the 2.5.8 release version of the Shelly binding.

So I headed to your Installation link and re-read it is necessary to remove all PaperUI things first. I never did this before and frankly, removing 8 things and approximately 30 items based on them frightens me…

Can you shed some light why this should be done and whether this is just to make a comfortable greenfield situation for the developer binding, or whether this is really mandatory?

You do not need to remove your Items, just the Things. When readding the Things, just give them the same ID (Name) as before. This limits the effort to just 8 Things.

Yes, I’m aware I can keep my items provided I keep the thing ids. But I’m curious why this is required at all.

@markus7017: sorry, found a typo

https://github.com/markus7017/openhab-addons/blob/shelly_snapshot/bundles/org.openhab.binding.shelly/src/main/resources/ESH-INF/i18n/shelly_de.properties

channel-type.shelly.meterCurrent.label = Stromstärke

another possible translation issue:
Kumulierter Rückstrom <-- shouldn’t it be “Kumlierte Einspeisung” or “Aufsummierte Einspeisung” ??

There might be changes in the internal Thing structure and/or channel behaviour, that‘s the reason.
When merged to the release, those changes will be announced as breaking changes.
So nothing to be curious about.

if the channel definitions, translation etc are updated it’s the safe way to delete the things re-discover them. OH keeps Thing/Item linkage separate. This gets restored when the thing is re-discovered, so usually nothing gets lets.
You could keep your things, but maybe don’t get all new channels and maybe this causes side effects, so it’s not a must.

As mentioned before there is a breaking change. I removed channels

• lastPower2, lastPower3 for meters
  • and lastDirectiin for rollers
    Those channels don’t get updated anymore if they exist. The reason: Those don’t get updated by Coap, even not in version 2

ok, will include that in the next release
Feel free to suggest other translation stuff

Hi all,
i have a problem with the shelly bindng and the Shelly 3EM with “device_accumulatedWTotal”.
Sometimes the binding give me the Total without “meter1_totalKWH”.
shelly_shellyem3_device_accumulatedWTotal = 37.86
shelly_shellyem3_meter1_totalKWH = 12.055
shelly_shellyem3_meter2_totalKWH = 6.325
shelly_shellyem3_meter3_totalKWH = 31.535

In the graph you can see that this problem comes at different times approx over 30 times a day.

Can’t find where you calc that in the binding.

Best wishes
and stay healthy
Uli

i see the same problem…

i have a trace log for you:
openhab.log (19.2 KB)

you see the lines:
Channel device#accumulatedWTotal updated with 189.695 kWh

Channel device#accumulatedWTotal updated with 227.669 kWh

…the second value is the correct one…

good news: the PR has been merged so Addon Package 2.5.9 will include support for all Shelly devices

Latest DEV build 2.5.9 - README - Installation - Firmware Index - Firmware Archive - API Doc

1 Like

Are you in the DEV build or regular release?

I’ve updated to the DEV binding and rediscovered all things. Now all works fine, excepting the tilt state of my 6 DW2. The tilt is calibrated and shows correct values in the webinterface. This value only updates via CoIP if the DW2 is online with the pressed button and LED is flashing. No update on state changes in standard operation.

Anyone else?

1 Like

i’m on 2.5.7-1 regular release

but i am on DEV release from 26.8.2020 and i see the same…