Simple adding of two items

Hello Forum,

I thought it would be simple, but apparently it is not.

I have two items which are both numbers.
These two items should be added together so that I can continue working with the result.
In short, there are two inverters and I want to add the current yield.

I have built a simple script in Blockly, which should add the two values and write this to the item “Total Yield”.
Unfortunately the item always stays at NULL.

I have tried several possibilities, which I have also found here in the forum, has only brought nothing so far.
The item remains at NULL :frowning:
Trying to format all values into a string did not work either.
I created a second item, which was formatted as a string instead of a number.

What am I doing wrong?
How do I do it correctly?

Please show the configuration of the two Items which you are trying to add.

Here is the configuration.
Both items are set up identically.

When you run your rule, what do the logs show?

I can pull the following info from the logs:

events.log
2022-11-19 17:08:43.767 [INFO ] [openhab.event.RuleUpdatedEvent ] - Rule 'GesamtertragRechner' has been updated.

openhab.log

2022-11-19 17:09:14.826 [ERROR] [e.automation.internal.RuleEngineImpl] - Failed to execute rule ‘GesamtertragRechner' with status 'UNINITIALIZED'
2022-11-19 17:09:50.345 [ERROR] [ipt.internal.ScriptEngineManagerImpl] - ScriptEngine for language 'application/javascript' could not be found for identifier: 993a26f2-5e49-45a4-a0ee-a527157da7a6

Well, looks like there’s a problem with Javascript not being found. Do you have any other Blockly rules running/working?

No, I even set up a test instance, where only openhab is running in it so far.
(x86/x64)

I think I found a problem here with JavaScript in general on x86/x64.
I have once again set up a fresh installation of openHAB in a proxmox container.

After that I installed the Modbus binding and the two addons “JavaScript Scripting” and “JavaScript Transformation Service”.
Additionally I created a small JavaScript in the transformations folder:

(function(inputData) {
    if(inputData < 0) return "0";
    return parseFloat(inputData) ;
})(input)

As soon as I assign the JavaScript to a Thing, I always get only NULL as result of the item state and the following error messages in the openhab log:

2023-01-08 19:50:16.495 [WARN ] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Execution of scheduled (5000ms) poll task BasicPollTask [getEndpoint=ModbusIPSlaveEndpoint [address=192.168.178.161, port=502], request=ModbusReadRequestBlueprint [slaveId=3, functionCode=READ_INPUT_REGISTERS, start=30769, length=26, maxTries=3], getResultCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator@5bb4d35e, getFailureCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator@5bb4d35e] failed unexpectedly. Ignoring exception, polling again according to poll interval.
java.lang.NullPointerException: null

2023-01-08 19:56:34.240 [WARN ] [rt.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl] - Execution of scheduled (5000ms) poll task BasicPollTask [getEndpoint=ModbusIPSlaveEndpoint [address=192.168.178.161, port=502], request=ModbusReadRequestBlueprint [slaveId=3, functionCode=READ_INPUT_REGISTERS, start=30769, length=26, maxTries=3], getResultCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator@5e6214e8, getFailureCallback()=org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator@5e6214e8] failed unexpectedly. Ignoring exception, polling again according to poll interval.
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "javax.script.Compilable.compile(java.io.Reader)" because "engine" is null
        at org.openhab.transform.javascript.internal.JavaScriptEngineManager.getCompiledScriptByFilename(JavaScriptEngineManager.java:77) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.transform.javascript.internal.JavaScriptTransformationService.transform(JavaScriptTransformationService.java:119) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.SingleValueTransformation.transform(SingleValueTransformation.java:140) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.CascadedValueTransformationImpl.transform(CascadedValueTransformationImpl.java:51) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.ValueTransformation.transformState(ValueTransformation.java:48) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.handler.ModbusDataThingHandler.lambda$16(ModbusDataThingHandler.java:1001) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.HashMap$KeySpliterator.forEachRemaining(HashMap.java:1707) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:762) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.handler.ModbusDataThingHandler.processUpdatedValue(ModbusDataThingHandler.java:969) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.handler.ModbusDataThingHandler.onRegisters(ModbusDataThingHandler.java:847) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.handler.ModbusDataThingHandler.lambda$11(ModbusDataThingHandler.java:801) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.Optional.ifPresent(Optional.java:178) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.internal.handler.ModbusDataThingHandler.onReadResult(ModbusDataThingHandler.java:801) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator.lambda$2(ModbusPollerThingHandler.java:144) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.CopyOnWriteArrayList.forEach(CopyOnWriteArrayList.java:807) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator.notifyChildren(ModbusPollerThingHandler.java:142) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator.handleResult(ModbusPollerThingHandler.java:88) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.binding.modbus.handler.ModbusPollerThingHandler$ReadCallbackDelegator.handle(ModbusPollerThingHandler.java:105) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusLibraryWrapper.invokeCallbackWithResponse(ModbusLibraryWrapper.java:337) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.lambda$1(ModbusManagerImpl.java:216) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.SimpleStopWatch.timeRunnable(SimpleStopWatch.java:152) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.accept(ModbusManagerImpl.java:216) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$PollOperation.accept(ModbusManagerImpl.java:1) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl.executeOperation(ModbusManagerImpl.java:614) ~[?:?]
        at org.openhab.core.io.transport.modbus.internal.ModbusManagerImpl$ModbusCommunicationInterfaceImpl.lambda$1(ModbusManagerImpl.java:812) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.runAndReset(FutureTask.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:305) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) [?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) [?:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) [?:?]

As soon as I change it to “default”, the error is gone, but my values are not correct.
On a Raspberry Pi 4B the whole thing runs without problems.
There is only openHAB installed for a long time and also a few other Linux packages.

What JDK version are you using ? I had the same error message with OH3.4 under v17. Switched back to v11 all is fine.

Thanks for the tip, I actually installed 17.
Will give it a try.