"Smart" thermometer and humidity sensor for OpenHAB?

Hi,

I use different bulbs and smart sockets from different manufacturers and bundle all these with OpenHAB. It works. :slight_smile:

But now I want to add a smart thermometer and humidity sensor for a few of my rooms - so are there any suggestions? Which one is cheap and works with OpenHAB?

The Netatmo-Thermometers are too expensive because I need a few of them for different rooms, as mentioned.

The thermometers do NOT need a own app, display or something else. All they should do is to report their data to OpenHAB… HOW they report the data is not important for me - it could be e.g. wifi, bluetooth or also zigbee (if it can use the osram lightify hub).

Cheers,
Johann

Hello Johann,

welcome to the world of OpenHAB.
There are several options you can use.
First question back: Are you willing to make some do-it-yourself (DIY) or do you want some ready-to-use stuff ?
Second question: What systems do you have at the moment ?

DIY: You find very often sensors like DS18B20 (temperature only) which can easily be connected using e.g. a raspberry or arduino. The DS18B20 is connected by 1-wire and there are much more sensors (also humidity) that might fit your purpose. The costs for such a solution are quite low.

Ready-to-use solution will be more expensive. E.g. for the homematic system such sensors are available and can be connected to OH.

Look at this topic. In addition to temperature and humidity sensors, there are many more interesting things. Sensors work perfectly!

Hi,

First question back: Are you willing to make some do-it-yourself (DIY) or do you want some ready-to-use stuff ?

For the Thermometers I want to use ready-to-use stuff. I need a few thermometers and I do not want an Raspberry in every room :smiley:

Second question: What systems do you have at the moment ?

• Osram Lightify Bulbs (and Lightify Hub)
  • Xiaomi Yeelights (new WiFi-Edition, NOT the old ZigBee-Version - not Hub needed)
  • Xiaomi Mi Vacuum Robot
  • Innr Bulbs (using the Lightify Hub)
    → All these are managed via OpenHAB

Ready-to-use solution will be more expensive. E.g. for the homematic system such sensors are available and can be connected to OH.

I’ve googled a much and found the following solution:
An “JeeLink 868” on my Raspberry which will work for example with Thermometers like this one (16 €) or any other sensor which radiates on this frequence (868 MHz)… This would be not too expensive :slight_smile: Any experiences? Is this a good solution?

Look at this topic. In addition to temperature and humidity sensors, there are many more interesting things. Sensors work perfectly!

Thank you, I will have a look! :slight_smile: