SmartThings and OH2?

I will look at the OpenHAB & smartthings app logs. I believe the IDE smartthings log is in the Smartthings app. I have not looked there.
You are right - I will also try another channel for temperature. It concerns me that the Motion Sensor does not show anything in the Control option in PaperUI. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

I did see outgoing actions to Openhab from Smartthings connect. At first, I saw error messages in the log in openhab from Smartthings. Unfortunately they have stopped. I am hoping I do not have to reinstall everything. I will keep trying. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Seth
sorry did not see your reply sooner. It sounds like you had it working a little bit. That was how it was for me but I was a total 100% noobie at OpenHAB at the time. If I’m remembering correctly, the app in smartthings just send normal http requests to OpenHAB. In the OpenHAB log, you could see the error message telling you what was not working correctly and causing the problem. I think in my case, because I did not know how it worked, I had something miss configured or not configured. I could see the http request getting denied in the log
Try going back and looking at the log back when it was trying to work. You may spy your issue. If not or log is gone, try going in the smartthings app and stop and restart the device handler and watch the logs on both in real time

copied from instructions:

In the Preferences section enter the following:
ip: (This is the IP address of your OpenHAB server)
mac: (This is the same as the Device Network ID but with : between segments
port: 8080 (This is the port of the OpenHAB application on your server)
Save the preferences

oh now I think I remember my main snafu
if you follow the above link in Bob’s post (here for installation instructions) there is a link to the smartthings installation part which links to this page

after reading that I had been unable to get the current smartthings app to work as described in the instructions. instead I noted the bottom of the above linked page had a note about using the ‘classic’ smartthings app Once I found this classic (older) app on the playstore and downloaded and installed, it worked as in the instructions. It was then I saw the errors start to pop up as described previously. I fixed the problem in the config and joy

joy was not long lived. All my smartthings devices died pretty quickly but by then I was hooked

Thank you. I will continue to work this problem from both sides. I will update this thread this weekend. I really would like to get this popular set of products, Smartthings to work. Thank you. Seth

I followed these same instructions and it was clear on how to configure the Smartthings side., but I am lost on what to do from the openhab side. From what I got. there shoud be a binding like this.

" The bridge requires the IP address and port used to connect the OpenHAB server to the Smarrthings Hub.

Bridge smartthings:smartthings:Home    [ smartthingsIp="192.168.1.12", smartthingsPort=39500 ] {

where:"

then I was lost.

You are almost there then Yusef
You I don’t think need to manually create a Bridge, I think it does it all in Paper User Interface. Follow these instruction to create the Bridge thing then run discovery and it should find your devices

• Start the PaperUI
  • Click on Configuration > Things
  • Click on ADD THINGS and select the Smartthings Binding.
  • On the displayed screen select the Smartthings Hub.
  • In the Configurations Parameters section enter the IP of Smartthings hub and enter the port number, which is probably 39500. Click on the check mark
  • Click on Inbox
  • At the bottom of the screen click on SEARCH FOR THINGS
  • Select Smartthings Binding
  • You should now see the Smartthings Things in the Inbox

find the ip address of the smart things hub in the app or on your router. Your router is going to need to be configured with a ip reservation for the smart things hub so it always has the same ip

I must be missing something because the smartthings binding isn’t there. I have a smartmeter binding and bindings for samsung tv. Is there a way to add a binding?

Did you place the file in this link
https://github.com/BobRak/OpenHAB-Smartthings/blob/master/org.openhab.binding.smartthings/target/org.openhab.binding.smartthings-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
in your addons directory?

I didn’t see anything about this file in the directions. I assume I install java, run the .jar file and restart Openhab2, and the binding should be there. Thanks for all your help. I tried Openhab years ago and thought it was to complicated. Since then I have been using Home Assistant for about the past 4 years. I recently started using Node Red for my automation and saw that I could use Node Red with Openhab also so I thought why not run them both since I have some extra Raspberry P3Bs laying around. I have everything working in Openhab except Smartthings, Tasmota. Thanks again for all your help. Once I get this done I will tackle Tasmota next.

Is the binding compatible with smarthings hub v3 ?

Still no luck. I put the file in the addons directory and restarted. No luck. I tried to run the .jar but got an error. Do you know of any clear instructions somewhere?

root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons#  java -version

openjdk version “10” 2018-03-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu10.1+11 (build 10+46)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu10.1+11 (build 10+46, mixed mode)
root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons#
root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons# java -jar org.openhab.binding.smartthings-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
no main manifest attribute, in org.openhab.binding.smartthings-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Java is a requirement of OpenHAB. Once java is installed, you really don’t need to worry about it.
Once you place the .jar file in your addons directory, you don’t have to try to ‘run’ the file. OpenHAB will see the the file in the addons directory and should make its functionality available in OpenHAB.
With all that said, I seem to remember having to get something working in the smartthings app before it would show up in OpenHAB. But… It was a long time ago
What worked for me is in one of those posts above

Hi everyone,

Due to an issue i have been having with google assistant lying to me, i decided to work around the issue and just get a SmartThings hub to handle the Google assistant interface, and use this binding to allow OpenHab to control other automation.

I seem to have gotten things up and running, more or less, i was able to find all the things connected to the ST hub, and i can control them from OpenHab.

what i can’t do though is receive status updates from the ST hub. Looking into the logs i see the following after first changing the state once via openhab and three times via SThub .

2019-11-05 00:17:34.345 [INFO ] [hings.internal.SmartthingsHttpClient] - Sent message “{“capabilityKey”: “switch”, “deviceDisplayName”: “Living Room Ceiling Lights”, “capabilityAttribute”: “switch”, “value”: “off”}” with path “/update” to the Smartthings hub, recieved HTTP status 202

2019-11-05 00:17:35.997 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

2019-11-05 00:18:40.737 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

2019-11-05 00:31:00.947 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening here, or what i can do to fix it?

I’m seeing the same thing - and it’s weird because it seems to be a race condition for me. Some times the items link up between SmartThings and OpenHAB, other times they don’t.

hi, one quick question, con i use the samsung smarthing as a gateway or antenna for the zwave and zigbee devices? offline mode?

Hi!

Im new in OH scene.
Id like to integrate my smartthings hub v3 EU to OH.

• ive coped the jar file into addon folder
  • ive setup smartthings classic app properly (device handler & smartapp)
  • In openHAB configuration/things i can add the hub with the right IP and port 39500
  • in the inbox the SEARCH FOR THINGS doesnt discovery the hub

Am i missed something, or do something wrong?
Hub V3 EU suported?

GS

Hi,
@Yusef_Davis
somehow I run into the same problem.
Copied the jar-file into the addon directory and do not see the Binding in PaperUI as described in the guide.
have you had luck with solving the issue in the meantime?

And in relation to Grandmaster.seven’s Question: I’ve that HUB (V3,EU), too

I gave up. I am using Home Assistant and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for answering. Not a answer i expected, But A very Good Hint.

Hi everyone… I have been reading lots on this forum but this is my first post.

I have OpenHab set up, and have the bridge to SmartThings connected successfully (I just selected the binding, added the IP address, easy!). I am struggling with scanning the devices.

An earlier post says to go to Inbox, then choose Scan from the bottom of the screen. I may be really stupid, but I cannot see an Inbox anywhere. I can see Settings->Inbox, which just seems to control inbox options. Where on earth is the actual inbox?

Many thanks – this seems to be so basic that it is not mentioned in help or from a google search.