Snapshot 2.5.0 runs Very Slow

in an attempt to get my z-wave binding up-to-date and include a bunch of new devices, I decided to

I updated to the latest snapshot of 2.5.0. It seems to work well, I found all the new devices and was able to include them with no trouble. The problem is that it appears to run Very Slowly. I’m running on a Raspberry Pi, Open Habian. 2.5.0 latest snapshot.

Also, I noticed that editing thing properties is unreliable. You click on edit, change a value, then complete, but the value you set is no longer assigned. you have to do it a few times before it eventually updates as hoped.

I checked that the log level was set to INFO. But this made no difference.

As there’s no obvious known recent change I’d guess your problem is unrelated to the current OH version.
But sluggishness is a very vague diagnosis.
We cannot help without that you start debugging and analysing and give more details WHAT is slow, WHEN is it, WHAT you were doing before it got slow etc (did you upgrade openHABian, too ?).
Please search the forum for similar problems first to find people with similar problems and hints what they did to find out.

Hi Markus, thanks for your input. I will start to look at the logs and see if I can add more info. I was previously running 2.3 stable. I had no issue with slow response times. An example would be. Click an on switch on the Paper UI control panel, before the light would switch on almost immediately. Now, since I upgraded to 2.5 it can take a few seconds > 2 or 3 seconds sometimes as many as 10 seconds !

I am running OH 2.5 and Z-Wave binding 2.5. I did look around on the site for similar issues, but I failed to find something, which is why I posted my question.

Do you have a big ZWave network?
It could be due to an issue with inefficient background discovery.
See also my comment in Zigbee binding.

Huh, is there background discovery going on in ZWave networks ? That’s news to me.

How does one disable background discovery?

The reason can be anything, from memory shortage of your server to bad zwave networking to you the user permanently editing rules, or more exotic ones.
Check paging activity, process size and CPU usage of java on your server and watch the timing in your logs to get first hints what we need to look for.

I also just have a new issue now. I added a new device, a fibaro dual relay. And after I replugged the usb stick and restarted openhab, all my z-wave devices now show up as uninitialized-bridge uninitialized. Also, something odd… there were now two things which looked to be trying to be the usb stick. one was called a serial controller, and the other a dongle. After removing them and adding the serial controller back, it came online, and all my devices turned up in my inbox, but the things I had already configured remained uninitialized. Any ideas?

One thread per issue please. On that one I’ve seen posts of people with similar or same problem, so search the forum please.

OK, I will start to debug by looking at the logs when I have a bit more time. My network has 19 devices, not that big. And I don’t play around with rules all the time. It was a clear change from 2.3 to 2.5, immediately things were slow.

I don’t use the ZWave binding myself so I don’t know if it runs discovery in the background. But it does use the deprecated code. So once discovery starts running it may be inefficient.

My Plugwise Zigbee mesh had Things going offline/online all the time. Also commands no longer worked or were very slow. I’m fixing that with a PR for that binding now. But some other bindings may thus also have such issues in 2.4.0/2.5.0. :slightly_frowning_face:

Did you delete and recreate all things as explained in the release notes for 2.4 ?
There’s various posts on the forum of people who ignored that and pointers how to resolve that.
You might need to wait for a network healing, too. That was reintroduced in 2.4 and runs @2am per default.

Yes, I followed the instructions in the post… I removed everything and started from scratch. It took quite a while. Initially things seemed stable until I added the fibaro to the network.