Snapshot #934 not working properly

something isn’t working right.
I’ve done 5 installs right now and never made it to a fully configuration with Openhab 2.1 #934.
I use OpenHABian.

Sometimes the UI configuration keeps hanging endlessly, sometimes the dashboard doesn’t even start from IP:8080 or hostname:8080.

with openhab 2.0 I have no problems.

Now I cant open the dasboard on host:8080.

How can I check what goes wrong and how to fix it?

I see the build is changed.

I’m now on #938, same issue.

How did you install the snapshot?
what is the output of java -version?
No logging available?
Any more info when you use /usr/share/openhab2/ ?

sudo openhabian-config - install unstable version
trying fresh one atm.
how do i get the logging file?

sudo tail -f /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log
sudo more /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log

I believe this is an ongoing issue.

I am experiencing the same issue after running apt-get update/upgrade on openhabian.

I had some hiccups recently also. I cleaned all the contents from my /var/lib/openhab2/tmp & /var/lib/openhab2/cache and things seem to be running smoother now. Maybe you want to try this (shutdown OH2, clear, start OH2, let it recreate tmp and cache)

Thanks for the tip, however after a reboot it’s still having trouble starting and filling up 10Mb log files every two minutes.

How do I access these maps through windows? or through ssh?
How to clear them?

After the fresh install I get through the configuration, the dashboard starts. The UI is running but not good, i get Error 404: not found.

Downgrading the only option left?

I’m having a similar problem! As far as i can tell from my logs, somewhere in the configuration is a bunch of references to old 2.0.0 bindings that are unavailable, trying to import my old 2.0.0 configuration completely breaks the 2.1.0 snapshot here. Hopefully there will be a proper upgrade path later?

In my opinion we’re at the point where there really needs to exist a config backup/restore utility in PaperUI or Habmin, and some sort of assistant that lets you selectively restore just the pieces you need to avoid starting from scratch with each new release…


Yes I am trying to follow those instructions, but when you copy back the configuration you backed up, there’s references to specific versions of components almost everywhere inside /var/lib/openhab2/ and openhab2 stops loading complaining about missing components, at least for me.

2017-06-06 18:46:58.414 [WARN ] [url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver] - Error resolving artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.0.0: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.0.0 in openhab (] Error resolving artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.0.0: [Could not find artifact org.openhab.distro:distro:xml:features:2.0.0 in openhab (]

Normally I’d be happy just to keep my items and sitemap config files but I’ve put a lot of effort into HABpanel configs so I need to rescue at least those from the old backup. There’s also references to instance IDs for bindings that change each time you reinstall unless you manually specify them, so just keeping those old .item files aren’t enough anymore…

It probably works more smoothly for people who have followed the snapshot builds for a long time and had a gradual change from 2.0.0 to 2.1.0, but going directly from 2.0.0 to the latest 2.1.0-snapshot isn’t working for me and I don’t understand which bit of the configuration directory breaks it (yet).

Before restart delete tmp and cache folder

I update every week this way and have almost never experienced any problems.



before updating.

Take a look at those 3 files and check if you have the correct url set:

Thanks, that got me a lot further! My old config was pointing to the wrong repo.

I got stuck on this issue as well: [Solved] Snapshot #930 not starting properly

But after some troubleshooting I found the item definition that triggered it, and removed it for now

Number Energy_Instant_House “Strøm effektbruk [%.4f kW]” (Power) { http="<[]"}

clearing out cache and tmp again after disabling that JS item seems to have gotten me to the point of a working paperUI and no more log spam, so I think this is the final home stretch :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ssvenn, here’s wat I did yesterday (for the record, I was already on a 2.1 snapshot version, but the upgrade to #938 broke it anyway).

First I created a backup of the files as indicated in the wiki. In addition to the commands listed above, if you made changes to the /etc/default/openhab2 file, backup that one as well.

Then I completely removed and purged openHAB:

sudo apt-get remove --purge openhab2*

Install openHAB again:

sudo apt install openhab2

Do not restore the backup using the commands provided in the documentation. (I did and had to purge the installation again).

Check the ownership of your backup. For me the files were owned by me and not the openhab user/group. If that is the case for you too then first assign the correct permissions:

sudo chown -R openhab:openhab ~/openhab2-backup-$TIMESTAMP

Now copy the following files/directories:

sudo cp -a ~/openhab2-backup-$TIMESTAMP/conf/* /etc/openhab2
sudo cp -a ~/openhab2-backup-$TIMESTAMP/userdata/etc/org.openhab.addons.cfg /var/lib/openhab2/etc/
sudo cp -a ~/openhab2-backup-$TIMESTAMP/userdata/jsondb/* /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/

If you created a backup file of the /etc/default/openhab2 file then copy that file back to the /etc/default/ folder.

Now you can start openhab2 again:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start openhab2.service

If it starts up properly again then also make it start on boot:

sudo systemctl enable openhab2.service

Hope this helps.


I guess the main problem was not watching this topic: