[SOLVED] Adding a Binding

Hello All

I am very new to openhab and trying to learn as much as I can, I have a raspberry Pi set up with openhab installed and I am trying to add a new binding to my device one that is not currently in the default list. my understanding is I need to copy the binding folder to /usr/share/openhab2/addons to be able to install from paper UI
but I cant work out how to copy the binding over.
If I try and access the openhab device through windows network it asks for user name and password and I have tried all I can think of none of them will work and windows wont read the SD card now I have installed openhab. is there software I needed to use or should I been doing this thought Putty

As I have said am new to this so sorry to ask such a simple question

Hello Chris,

first of all: did you try

user: openhab
password: openhab ? (see: http://docs.openhab.org/installation/linux.html#network-sharing)

You don’t need Putty for this.

Regarding the manual installation from bindings:

You need the compiled version of the binding, so called “jar” files. I dont know which binding you mean, but search for a file with the ending .jar

This file needs to be placed in your addons folder.

1 Like

Hello

thank you I had not seen the information in that link and its most helpful

in regards to the binding, this is what I was looking at https://github.com/Hilbrand/openhab2-addons/releases/tag/2.1.0-SNAPSHOT-TP-Link not sure how far off the mark I am

thanks

So you want the tp link binding? Activate the eclipse Marketplace as a source for bindings in PaperUI.

There you can find and activate it without doing anything manually. :wink:

Many thanks you have save me a lot of time

As @bennYx0x is mentioning the TP-Link is available via the eclipse market place. I’ve now removed the tag to avoid further confusion because it’s outdated and point to an earlier release with less features. If you really would want to install the jar file locally you can always go to the eclipse market place on the web and directly download the jar from there. But in general it should be fine to install via the eclipse market place.

1 Like