[SOLVED] Aeotec Multisensor 6 for motion-sensitive lights

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 2.4.0

I’ve recently set up an Aeotec Multisensor 6 on battery power, via an Aeotec Z-Stick, and want to use it as a motion sensor to trigger (Philips Hue) lights.

So far I’m a little disappointed by the delay between motion happening and the lights coming on. I get that it’s doing a lot (detect motion, inform controller, inform OpenHAB, trigger rule, send command to Hue Bridge, turn on lights), and it’s pretty mindblowing that it works as quickly as it does, BUT, it’s so much slower than my existing Philips Hue motion sensors that I’m hoping there’s some configuration or something that I can change to make it snappier. As it is, I’ve usually traversed the area I want to be lit before the lights actually come on!

When I walk towards it, there seems to be a variable delay (up to say 5 seconds) before I see the green LED come on. I assume that the green LED is telling me that it’s detected motion and is sending the ‘MotionAlarm = ON’, after seeing the LED, the lights come on pretty much instantly, so I assume that the majority of the delay is in the sensor.

I guess my main question is - is there any way to make the sensor detect motion more quickly? It’s currently battery-powered, but I wouldn’t rule out using mains power if that’s the issue. I’d prefer to stick with batteries if possible though (and I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible, as the battery-powered Hue motion sensors I have work fine, and their batteries are still reporting 100% after several months).

Alternatively any tips and tricks from others with a similar setup would be appreciated. My goal is for the lights to come on as soon as possible when I walk into the area covered by the sensor.

I have the same setup; what works very well is the HUE Motion Sensor instead. I use it for motion sensing ONLY and use the Aeotec Multisensor 6 for the Luminance factor to determine if the lights should go on or not.

Amazon has them on sale now for $27 vs. the $39 they use to be.

Best, Jay

There are Device Paramters you can play with

Here is the link to the db – is this your device?

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/921

One thing I noticed is that the sensor seems to do better with side-to-side motion. So, if there’s a way to orient the device so that it sees side-to-side motion sooner, that might help.

As I recall it the green LED actually tells you when it has send/received something from your controller. So a big delay should mean it has difficulties with the z wave mesh.

I have the same sensor and it works just as quick as my Hue sensor. I am using Home Assistant at the moment, but I wouldn’t suppose that makes any difference in speed.

You could as a test set a direct association to a z wave switch / bulb if you have one that is nearby. That should turn on instantaneously - if that is the case, then it is the route to the gateway that is the problem.

Any reason not to get the luminance from the Hue motion sensor too? That seems to have only been added in 2.4.0, because I didn’t seem to get those values before (in 2.3.0) but they appeared as new Things when I upgraded recently.

Alas, still full price on Amazon UK :frowning:

No, it’s this: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/778

I can’t see any parameters that ask it to check for motion more frequently, or that would make it send the ‘motion detected’ message more quickly. Am I missing something?

Interesting - how do I know what the ‘top’ is? I can rotate it to whichever way suits best, but not sure which way would be the ‘sides’…

I’m not sure I follow. I think I agree that the green LED means that it’s sending, but assumed it’s that it’s sending ‘motion detected’. Is that what you mean? The delay I’m talking about is from me moving in front of the sensor to that LED turning on, so it seems like the time between motion happening and it being reported to the controller. No?

I don’t. I was planning on getting more Z-Wave stuff if this sensor worked well, but it’s not working great for me at the moment, and since I started setting it up, I’m realising that there are a lot of posts here from people struggling with the config. I can’t make up my mind whether to persevere with Z-Wave or not…

I’m only running 2.3 on a Synology; hence the reason I’m using the Aeotec Multisensor 6 for the Luminance.

I’m still waiting for Synology OH crew to create the upgrade package for 2.4 :wink:

Best, Jay

Since the back cover goes on only one way, I orient it with the words on the back in the correct orientation. I don’t think that matters, though. What you want to avoid is motion going straight toward or away from the device. At least that’s been my experience.

Ah - sorry, I understand what you mean. That does make sense, as it was positioned at the top of my stairs, pointing down, and seemed to not see me until I got to the top of the stairs and turned across in front of the sensor.

I’ve now moved it to somewhere else, although it’s still basically a corridor, so motion will be towards it. Do you have any idea whether their claimed 120-degree field-of-view is accurate? I might try putting pointing straight down it in the middle of the ceiling, so movement is ‘across’ it and below it. Any thoughts on that as an orientation?

Parameter4 - sensitivity - is set to maximum, I’d guess?
My personal observation is similar - reaction to movement detected by m6 is with some lag. Noname mt100 does it way quicker. Will need to check/test route length.

More info here.

1 Like

I have no reason to doubt the 120 degree FOV claim.

The ceiling would be an interesting test for no other reason than to rule in or out whether side-to-side motion would improve the situation.

Having moved it to a corner, there now seems to be enough sideways motion that it’s triggered more effectively. And yes, the 120 degree claim seems reasonable, from one direction I can just see it at an angle that’s definitely >90-degrees and it consistently registers my motion there.

1 Like

Hello Guys,

I believe I’m facing similar issue, but exactly the same. In my case I case see the MS6 reacts on motion well and quick - the LED goes green almost immediately, but the message about the MS6_motion changes from OFF to ON is received by OpenHab with 5-10 seconds delay.

I tried to move the sensor really close to the USB z-wave stick, but the delay remain the same. Any ideas?

Thank you.

Y

Hello,

anyone facing the same issue?

Y