[SOLVED] [Alexa Smart Home Skill] Who "told" Alexa which lamp to switch on the name "Licht"?

I have 3 lamps (labels in order: “Stehlampe Oben”, “Stehlampe Unten” and “Sofa Lampe”).
Alexa can switch them seperately by their names and switch them all by “schalte alle Lichter” ( in english: “switch all lights”). That is understood.
Using the voicecommand “schalte das Licht” (“switch the light”) Alexa always switches the second in the second. Where is the hidden (to me) logic for that? What am I missing?

I don’t fully understand your behavior description but when you request “turn on the light”, it would trigger the Alexa-enable group (aka Room Awareness) feature which controls all the lights assigned to a group linked to the echo device you are making the request to.

That would be what I expect as well, what I’m getting is all lights are turne on when I’m using the plural (" all lights"), but using the the singular " turn on a light" will switch on only one. I’m wondering how this single light is selected, it is always the same one.

This is like @jeshab said. You can define Groups in Alexa APP. If you have for example an Alexa group “Living room” and you assign your Lamp #2 to it and also in the same group your Echo device, then you just can say: “Alexa, light on”. And all lamps inside this group are switched ON. If there is only ONE light/lamp inside, only this will be switched ON. If NO groups are created, then Alexa chooses one device, and will always use the same.

I have a group of all lights setup im openHAB, in the Alexa App I have created a group for the room consisting of 3 lamps. Ich I understood correctly in case of a VoiceCommand “switch light on” Alexa will select one lamp?

Yes, if the “Echo Device” is NOT member of that group (or any group). If the ECHO device is a member of that group, then all 3 are switched ON/OFF.

Here an example of my group with 3 lamps and an Echo Show.

“Alexa, Licht an” turns on all 3 lamps.

My room looks the same, the Echo is part of that room-group (otherwise I would need to specify the room). Using the command " Alexa Licht an" ( singular) switches one light on, the command “Alexa Lichter an” (plural) switches them all on.

My groups don’t have this behaviour. It doesn’t matter if I tell “Licht” or “Lichter”. All lamps of my group are switched.

1 Like

If I had this behaviour I wouldn’t have asked in the first place.
Thanks for taking the time to look into this one.

Found the reason.
I have group named “gLichtschalter” which was labelled “Licht” some time ago, now the group has no label nor a group-function.
Alexa seemed to have remembered that old group name (although resetted).
Why the switch of that group via Alexa did switch a single item ( no group function!), I can’t say.
After deleting this device from Alexa everything works as expected Ted.

2 Likes