[SOLVED] Alexa V3 - Thermostat Issue

Alexa, what’s thermostatName set to?
It’s off.
Alexa, set thermostatName to 20
thermostatName is off. To turn it back on, please set a mode.
Alexa, set thermostatName to heat
It’s set to heat.
Alexa, set thermostatName to 20
The heat is set to 20.

1 Like

Right! now i’ve got it :wink: Thanks jeremy that all works

jeremy, final question. For a device like an AC unit, which has HEAT, COOL, ON etc. How does one switch it on and change the mode in one command, or can’t it be done? Previously, HEAT=ON for a heating only thermostat.

In the V3 doco, I cant see an ON for the thermostat mode, so I assume I can only use powercontroller to switch it on and therefore use a seperate utterance to turn it on and then change the mode?

There is no concept of switching on or off a thermostat on the Alexa side. Only the ability to set a mode. That was the idea that I related in the post I linked above to answer your original question.

The below utterance examples are based on the modes supported by your thermostat and mapped accordingly on the Alexa side.

Alexa, set thermostatName to off
Alexa, set thermostatName to cool
Alexa, set thermostatName to heat
Alexa, set thermostatName to auto
Alexa, set thermostatName to eco

You can give it a try. I haven’t tested myself. It may impact the integration in the Alexa app.

1 Like

In case you didn’t get the answer to your original question, it is not possible to use turn on/off commands on a ThermostatController.thermostatMode item, as I explained above. These commands are limited to the PowerController capability.

There are three ways I can see this being implemented:

• If this is the only thermostat device on your Alexa account, you should be able to use the below utterances to control the mode. This might only work with the English language and you will probably need to rename your current device due to naming conflict.
    Alexa, turn on the heating
    Alexa, turn off the heating

• Keep your existing configuration and add Alexa routines for “turn heating on” and “turn heating off” interacting with the “heating” device on the Alexa side.

• If you are looking to implement on the OH side, since you are using a Number item, you will need to expose a proxy Switch item, modeled as PowerController, part of a thermostat group endpoint called “Heating”, including your original item, which would get updated via OH rules when the proxy item state changes.

1 Like

Thanks Jeremy, unfortunately the utterances you’ve listed don’t work to turn the unit on and set it to heat, all it does is set it to heat but leaves the actual AC unit off. I guess your final bullet point in the post above is my only option.

I have two thermostats, the Daikin AC unit which won’t turn on when issuing ‘set to heat’, but the heated floor unit does - presumably because the mapping has HEAT=ON

My guess is that you probably didn’t setup the proper mapping for that item.

It’s correct I believe, because if I say alexa , set the ac to heat, when its already on, it changes just fine? (for instance, from cool to heat)

The difference is the mappings are on a string for Daikin, as opposed to a Switch for the floor (the later works fine)

Also, if I say Alexa, set the air to off, she says ‘its off’ but it doesnt turn off.

Do I have an config issue?

Group  Daikin_Thermostat                    "Air"                 {alexa="Endpoint.Thermostat"}
Number DaikinACUnit_SetPoint                "Temperature"  (Group_HabPanel_Dashboard,Daikin_Thermostat) { channel="daikin:airbase_ac_unit:ducted_ac:settemp", alexa="ThermostatController.targetSetpoint" }
String DaikinACUnit_Mode                    "Air"          (Group_HabPanel_Dashboard,Daikin_Thermostat) { channel="daikin:airbase_ac_unit:ducted_ac:mode", alexa="ThermostatController.thermostatMode" [HEAT="HEAT",COOL="COLD",AUTO="AUTO",OFF="OFF"] }
String DaikinACUnit_Fan                     "Fan Speed"    (Group_HabPanel_Dashboard,Daikin_Thermostat) { channel="daikin:airbase_ac_unit:ducted_ac:airbasefanspeed" }
Number DaikinACUnit_IndoorTemp              "Inside Temp"  (Group_HabPanel_Dashboard,Daikin_Thermostat) { channel="daikin:airbase_ac_unit:ducted_ac:indoortemp", alexa="TemperatureSensor.temperature" }

Does the Daikan mode channel support turning off the unit?

Ive absolutely no idea. Ill find out

Maybe this can be useful, because I didn’t find a lot of information on internet about this :
Like the document said : Alexa.ThermostatController Interface 3.2 | Alexa Skills Kit
For an Air conditionner, we need the switch controller, so here the mapping :

Group SalonThermostat “Climatisation Salon” {alexa=“Endpoint.Thermostat”}

Switch ACSalonOnOff “On Off” (SalonThermostat) {channel= “mqtt:topic:IR_SALON:AC_SALON_ON_OFF”, alexa=“PowerController.powerState”}
// I don’t know wich of the two work well, but I don’t care, it works.
Number ACSalonTemp “Temperature [%.1f °C]” (SalonThermostat) {channel= “mqtt:topic:IR_SALON:AC_SALON_TEMPERARURE”, alexa=“ThermostatController.targetSetpoint” [scale=“Celsius”]}

Number ACSalonTemperature “Temperature [%.1f °C]” (SalonThermostat) {channel= “mqtt:topic:IR_SALON:AC_SALON_TEMPERARURE”, alexa=“ThermostatController.temperature” [scale=“Celsius”]}

String ACSalonMode “Mode” (SalonThermostat) {channel= “mqtt:topic:IR_SALON:AC_SALON_MODE”, alexa=“ThermostatController.thermostatMode” [HEAT=“Heat”,COOL=“Cool”,AUTO=“Auto”,FAN=“Fan”]}

Now I can say :
Alexa, switch on the climatisation
Alexa, put the climatisation to 23*C
Alexa, set the climatisation to Heat/Cool/Auto

If my AC is Off and I say : set temperature to 23, the climatisation is switched ON, same for the mode.
Because I have 3 rules, one for the On/Off, one when temperature change and one when mode change.

note : fan mode not work

Cheers :slight_smile: