(solved) Amazon Dash Button - Setup?

The dash button isn’t really bound to openhab. Openhab is just monitoring your network traffic and checks for the button to show up.

So I guess it’s not important for openhab if the dash button is completely configured. It’s just important for you and you’re credit card.

My dash button is actually blocked inside my firewall. So it won’t be able to order anything.

yes, same for me. The best thing is to just block it.

Thanks for all replies. Best thing, I would await Daniel_Hermann1s testings…

I can confirm that the DASH Button can be reset.

I bought a new one, made an order with it, and then proceeded to reset it according to the amazon instructions, which worked flawlessly.

2 Likes

Sounds good! Thank you very much!

I even got the 4,99 Euro back without ordering anything. It magically showed up as a voucher …

1 Like

yes, but try if you can use the voucher on an item that you cannot buy with that dash button?

Yes, I bought some motorcycle supplies which are not available through a dash button.

Same for me… and I even bought some Gillette stuff with the Button and then used it with OH. So no problem, just reseted the button and blocked it inside my firewall…

So no problem at all

Ok. Good to hear. I’m going to change my Amazon membership to “Prime” and buy some “Dash Buttons”… Thanks to all!

as far as I know you can also buy them with the free trial prime membership.

Hello all, now I’m an Amazon Prime Member (30 days free membership) and I ordered Dash Buttons. They arrived and I could order some things. I was able to reset them and after that to bind them into OH2. Thanks to all.

But now I have many errors and warnings! Any help would be great!

Please see my posting over there:

I solved my problem on my own!

See here.

If the dash buttons are set up already (e.g. if you wanted to order something to get the 4,99€ back) it is not mandatory to reset them. It’s most important to block their internet access. Otherwise they will always send notifications.
Setup on an raspberry pi is pretty simple and works flawlessly following this documentation.

Thanks for all replies. It seems that this documentation was written and tested primarily with Linux and not with Windows, especially Windows 10.

There is no hint that Windows installation command

choco install winpcap

needs as prerequisite Chocolatey from here: https://chocolatey.org/

And it has to be installed as a PowerShell add-on.

Installation of Chocolatey:

run the following command from an administrative PowerShell v3+ prompt:

iwr https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1 -UseBasicParsing | iex

before that, you have to check Execution Policies of Windows, see here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/de-DE/library/hh847748.aspx

and so on…

All these steps are unnecessary!

But there no hint that you just simply install WinPcap from here:

https://www.winpcap.org/

And all this is only working for Windows with a normal NIC.

If you are using only a wifi adapter with Windows 10, just install an alternative pcap from here:

Install it with “WinPcap 4.1.3 compatibility” and “Raw 802.11 Packet Capture”.

Sorry… forgot to ask for operating system… :wink:

@patrickse It doesn’t matter, because it was not relevant to the original question. After original question was answered, I got additional problems while using the amazondashbutton binding. I thought maybe some people here could easily help, because of their experience with Dash Buttons. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I got some Dash buttons from eBay, since they are not available in my country (Hungary). Does anyone know if I have to be a Prime member in order to set up the buttons via the Amazon app?

I always get an error when I try. It looks like the phone starts talking to the button, the app asks me for the WiFi network SSID and the key, then it says “Registering”, and after 5 seconds or so, the app says “Registration error”, and the button remains unconfigured.

Does anyone have an idea where I should start looking? Could it be because I’m not a Prime member, or because of the country not being supported, or something completely different?

@martonsz

In every manual I read, they always told: “Login to your Amazon Prime Account”.

I don’t know, but I guess this could be a reason…

I have just figured out what the issue was. The IP configuration on my home automation network has a subnet mask of /23. The Dash button can only handle subnets of a C class or smaller. This sounds like a horrible design.
When I changed the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 from 255.255.254.0, I was able to complete the setup.