[SOLVED] BasicUI - keypad

There is rule code in this widget thread that will deal with capturing keypad entries with a mask and concatenating ready for validation:

It’s not a full alarm system example but it is binding free from a keypad entry point of view and you can easily adjust the validation code and sendCommand(Alarmstatus, OFF) equivalent to suit your needs. If my alarm code reaches a stable state I’ll share it but at the moment it still has a few too many //TODO comments in it.

I like the BasicUI sample above, nice to have an alternative to the HABPanel widget.

The whole discussion about insurance is something that I’ve thought about and for me it’s not a major concern as I’m only dealing with my residential and house insurance is not relevant to any alarm system I can avoid that specific issue. The security aspect is important in itself and you should always take appropriate system precautions but if I have a plain text copy of a PIN for now I can live with, although it’s on my to do list for one day.

In relation to someone getting at my OH instance and turning off the alarm, yes they could but in reality the people occupying the house have enough troubles using the pretty side of the UI technology so if somebody wants to go to the level of hacking their way in, reverse engineering my OH configuration to disable the alarm then good luck to them. I’m not protecting anything so valuable that I need to worry about that level of a sophisticated attack so I soon reach the conclusion that if someone was going to go to that level of effort I’m not going to keep them out.

But certainly everyone has to assess their own levels of comfort and meet their insurance requirements.

John not sure about MySensors as I’ve not seen it before but you might want to post a new thread before diverting this. Include more details about your requirements, what you have hardware wise what you’d prefer and see what others have to add or suggest.