[SOLVED] Cannot get Insteon USB PLM to communicate

Dave -

You can just try it again. If it is already in the DB it won’t write a new record. No entry for the PLM is needed in the .items file.

BINGO! That did the trick!

Thanks VERY much for your help, this is a major hurdle overcome! And now on to that Insteon Terminal issue LOL!

Dave

Alright!

Insteon-Terminal is nice - but has a BIG learning curve. I’m not sure I’d invest the time in to getting that up until you need it. 99% of the linking etc you’ll want to do, you can just do with the physical device buttons.

If/when you want to get Insteon-Terminal going, one thing to note is that it is very pickey on what version of Java you are using. I can’t remember right now the details, but I believe the Java that comes stock doesn’t work.

There is also another option for linking, use the Insteon HouseLinc software (PC only) to create the device DB in the PLM. You might have to google around to find it, the Insteon website does not easily “reveal” it…

The log file will tell you how you have the device configured. For example:

2018-12-20 17:16:37.463 [INFO ] [g.insteonplm.InsteonPLMActiveBinding] - device 23.9F.C9 found in the modem database and the modem controls groups [0xFE] and responds to groups [0x01].

This tells me that it both controls and responds to the device.