[SOLVED] Cannot install MQTT binding on Raspberry Pi

When trying to install the MQTT bing I am getting the following error, any ideas. Thanks.

2018-02-16 22:46:22.486 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-mqtt1': Error:
        Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.io/org.openhab.io.transport.mqtt/1.11.0
        Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.binding/org.openhab.binding.mqtt/1.11.0

Did you install the “optional” addons package? Try:

sudo apt-get install openhab2-addons

I didnt but i opted for the easy way, re format the SD card and try again. I selected the “expert” install and maybe should have selected the standard one

Oh, you used simple previously? That’s why. The mqtt1 addon is a 1.x binding. Simple only supports 2.x bindings.

I use expert as I need some 1.x bindings that don’t have 2.x counterparts and I like the textual config files.

no. At first I selected EXPERT, and there were no tabs, so I have installed again using STANDARD, and now PAPERUI & BASICUI are available. I guess what I did was drastic, but didnt know any other way to get PAPERUI

Oh, gotcha. I think you might be better served with a “standard” install. It has paperui by default but also allows for 1.x bindings. See here: https://docs.openhab.org/configuration/packages.html

You can make this switch without reinstalling. There is a file named addons.cfg in the services folder. “etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg” on apt installs.

You can change from one package mode to another by editing the file and changing the “package” line.

package = standard

You can also change the legacy line to true to allow for the 1.x bindings. I think you can make that change from paperui as well.

If you want to go with an expert install, once installed, you would need to edit that addons.cfg file to change a few settings. You can read down it as it is well documented within. But suffice it to say you would want to change, “ui” at the very least to get paperui and basicui to config further OR you can do all bindings and config in that file and only install basicui and skip paperui for example.

Maybe this helps

Thanks all, it was as simple as i didn’t have any workable dns servers so it couldn’t down load the required components.