[SOLVED] Cannot save conf files remotely using SAMBA

Hardware: Intel Q9650 on Dell 0G261D motherboard
JRE: OpenJDK 1.8.0_192
OpenHAB 2.5.0.M3

Not quite sure what I’ve broken. I use SAMBA and Visual Studio to remotely edit my configuration files. It was working, and I can still open and view them but when trying to save I’m getting a:
“Failed to save ‘filename.items’: Insufficient permissions. Select ‘Retry as Admin’ to retry as administrator.” error.
I’ve ensured my username is part of the OPENHAB group, and the group looks like it has all accesses to the folders.
When I remotely access the folders I’m not getting a login prompt, but I seemingly got one intermittently in the past.
Suggestions?

This is a Linux and SAMBA issue, not OpenHAB which is cross-platform.

I quote Bruce, it’s not openhab related so I won’t dig further…anyway the folder and the files could have execute and read permission for group but not the write…so you should check the write permission in the filesystem…and surely double check samba conf for the user and permission of the share.

Definitely happens when permissions are messed. If you have openhabian there is a fix permissions option that usually fixes this.

My apologies, I’ve been working through other openHAB issues and went straight here for that help. It was permissions, the /etc/openhab2 folder permissions were adequate but they hadn’t been properly migrated down to the sub folders.

2 Likes

Glad it’s fixed!!

1 Like